+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The ACME computer/rebreather controller

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

The ACME computer/rebreather controller

In January of this year I decided to start a computer/rebreather controller project. After surveying the development boards that were available, I decided to work with the Netduino platform.

The goal was to arrive at a rebreather controller that also tracked NDL/decompression... (...or what I already had commercially). After 8 months and zillions of hours, the ACME constant ppO2 dive computer now exists, surviving it's second round of underwater testing yesterday. It reports time, depth, NDL, deco ceiling, stop time, TTS, current gradient factor, current gas mix, and temperature. Gradient factors, gases (including He), OC/CC, ppO2, etc, are menu selectable.

For the time being I'm housing my board/pcb/oled in an empty HH revision C box. The plan is to eventually move to another housing that allows the use of a 4-line oled so I don't have to have information scroll.

I've written code to handle sensor voting logic and solenoid firing. This code and the solenoid circuit I put together has been tested for function both on a breadboard and prototype pcb. Therefore I'm poised to merge the controller and deco functions. I decided to split off the deco function testing as a separate entity given that debugging both at the same time would be asking for trouble. Anyone who has done this kind of work knows that problems seem to invent themselves at every turn.

Initially I used a Netduino. After doing what I could with that, I moved on to a Netduino Mini which I integrated into a pcb and placed in the handset.

Chris
    Attached Images

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Re: The ACME computer/rebreather controller

Early on...

photo-7.JPG

During the late breadboard stage, integrating things...

photo-6.JPG

MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Moving over to the smaller footprint...

photo-1.JPG

photo-4.JPG

photo-5.JPG
    Last edited by cys; 26th August 2012 at 23:45.

RBW Member pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs's Avatar
    Drager Ray

Homebuild deathtrap

Nice. I am doing something similar using mbed.

The winsrtar oled is nice and bright.Where did you get your housing ? It's very nice.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by pegcjs  View Original Post
    Nice. I am doing something similar using mbed.

The winsrtar oled is nice and bright.Where did you get your housing ? It's very nice.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
    For the housing, I responded to a for sale ad here on RBW from lof. Kevin at Juergensen Marine would be the main source, though. I get my OLED's from Newhaven.

RBW Member Apeturbo is an unknown quantity at this point Apeturbo's Avatar
    Custom Dolphin mCCR

Very good job!
    I've made something similar, but with a LCD display and without solenoid control (my unit is mccr) and adding an Hud.
    I've used Atmega328, the Arduino microcontroller. i've tried to make NDL and deco calculation, but the micro isn't so fast. I think this winter i'll rewrite the code for the Olimex Pinguino Micro (PIC32).
    By the way, where have you find the piezo button i have seen in the photo?

Thank you

Daniele

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Very cool. I like!

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

Nice job. I am building something similar on Packhorse's HUD base.

Best,

Igor P

Sent ftom my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk.

Just another Meg diver trimix1965 is an unknown quantity at this point trimix1965's Avatar
    Megladon Apecs 2.01

Quote Originally Posted by Igor P  View Original Post
    Nice job. I am building something similar on Packhorse's HUD base.

Best,

Igor P

Sent ftom my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk.

Hi Igor how is you build going, you got some pic's to send to me?
    Tony

RBW Member pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs's Avatar
    Drager Ray

Homebuild deathtrap

Hi Daniele
    I've tried doing this using pinguino pic32 micro but the code is very memory hungry - I got a full deco calculation up and running (16 tissue compartments) but had no space left for any of the display drivers and sensor readout. Very frustrating. Hence the move to mbed which is a bit more pricey but a lot more code efficient..... Still not got this working though- maybe more time to play over winter...

I'm thinking of just embedding all my electronics in polyester resin - including the battery....

Quote Originally Posted by Apeturbo  View Original Post
    Very good job!
    I've made something similar, but with a LCD display and without solenoid control (my unit is mccr) and adding an Hud.
    I've used Atmega328, the Arduino microcontroller. i've tried to make NDL and deco calculation, but the micro isn't so fast. I think this winter i'll rewrite the code for the Olimex Pinguino Micro (PIC32).
    By the way, where have you find the piezo button i have seen in the photo?

Thank you

Daniele

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast