+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diving and Bell's Palsy

Meg Diver jswensva is on a distinguished road jswensva is on a distinguished road jswensva's Avatar
    Megalodon

Diving and Bell's Palsy

I've recently developed a case of Bell's Palsy, and thought I'd see if anyone else has experience with this. I'm definitely following up with my neurologist prior to any post-recovery diving.

Right now the right side of my face is almost completely immobile, and I definitely cannot seal my mouth around a reg, let alone my BOV which, albeit on the surface, induces a ton of jaw fatigue as only the left side jaw muscles are holding it in place, not to mention I can't seal anyway.

My questions are:

1. If you've gone through Bell's and had a less than complete recovery, but were cleared for diving, did you find symptoms worsened over the course of longer dives/when you become tired?

2. Were there any tips or techniques you found useful in accommodating a less than full recovery?

I figure recovery time is so varied it's not even worth asking.

Hopefully there's a full recovery in my future, but figured it's worth preparing. I'm going FFM for non-related reasons, but not willing to place at risk me or my buddy should I have to bail to a half mask.

Thanks, Jason

Meg Diver jswensva is on a distinguished road jswensva is on a distinguished road jswensva's Avatar
    Megalodon

Sorry. Either Tapatalk butchers message formatting or I'm using the wrong settings...

RBW Member Nemo1957 is an unknown quantity at this point Nemo1957's Avatar
    Optima

Re: Diving and Bell's Palsy

My wife had bells 18 years ago and still has residual paralysis. Even today she would not be able to make a seal to a conventional mouth piece. Aggressive anti inflammatory meds immediately after diagnosis where prescribed as well as three times daily electro stimulation of the effected nerves. We know two other people who have had bells and one had full recovery and the other had less improvement than my wife.

Her case was precipitated by a case shingles so she was also treated with a anti viral med.

Good luck and best wishes for a full recovery.

Megalodon

Thanks! The docs are thinking the Bell's is shingles-induced, but could be due to vasculitis. Either way I'm on high-dose corticosteroids, and antivirals.

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

So sorry - My mom had 10 years ago there is still residual effects. Current treatments may be more aggressive/better outcome. I don't think they did much for her at the time. I will ask her about it.

Dwayne

New Member jmark18 is an unknown quantity at this point jmark18's Avatar
    Sport Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by jswensva  View Original Post
    Thanks! The docs are thinking the Bell's is shingles-induced, but could be due to vasculitis. Either way I'm on high-dose corticosteroids, and antivirals.
    That is the recommended treatment so there is not much else to do but give it time to heal

Jeff

Megalodon

Thanks, guys, for the info. Time will tell. Getting back a bit of movement. Still can't seal a reg, but better than before.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

How about a more aggressive buddy technique with the FFM?

If you had to bailout to OC, Could one hold a reg in for you?

Gag straps?

Just thinking out aloud, but with so many people diving with various types of paralysis, maybe someone has found a way?

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by jswensva  View Original Post
    I've recently developed a case of Bell's Palsy, and thought I'd see if anyone else has experience with this. I'm definitely following up with my neurologist prior to any post-recovery diving.

Right now the right side of my face is almost completely immobile, and I definitely cannot seal my mouth around a reg, let alone my BOV which, albeit on the surface, induces a ton of jaw fatigue as only the left side jaw muscles are holding it in place, not to mention I can't seal anyway.

My questions are:

1. If you've gone through Bell's and had a less than complete recovery, but were cleared for diving, did you find symptoms worsened over the course of longer dives/when you become tired?

2. Were there any tips or techniques you found useful in accommodating a less than full recovery?

I figure recovery time is so varied it's not even worth asking.

Hopefully there's a full recovery in my future, but figured it's worth preparing. I'm going FFM for non-related reasons, but not willing to place at risk me or my buddy should I have to bail to a half mask.

Thanks, Jason
    Hey jason
    I know a guy that had bells palsy for many years (at least I'm pretty sure thats what it was).. He was a sea urchin diver for a long time...

His symptoms were varied, he also had very severe shakes like parkinsons...

On the recommendation of a friend he bought a portable hyperbaric chamber and began doing daily hyperbaric treatments in a 7 psi chamber... within a few weeks he began seeing marked improvement... Today he is almost symptom free.. If you didn't know, you would not see any indication that anyting is wrong.. He still does treatments a few times a week for general well being...
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

+ Reply to Thread