View Poll Results: Bailout

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because of the effects of a CO2 hit?

28 27.18%
  • Because you noticed a mechanical/electronic issue?

38 36.89%
  • Never had to bail out.

37 35.92%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bailout

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Bailout

Just wanted to know how common bailout is due to a CO2 hit vs some other mechanical or electronic issue with your CCR... Flooded/O2 Sensors failed/battery dead/burst hose and lost gas etc...

I understand a mechanical and/or an electronic issue can cause a CO2 hit but I want to understand what you noticed first.

Lets limit the poll to three years - Bailouts that have occurred after July 2009.

For the record, I have yet to bail out.

Dwayne
    Last edited by DwayneJ; 24th August 2012 at 06:15.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Re: Bailout

I bailed out once.....

Was due to me catching the cable to my Shearwater on something. Result was the common earth wire pus pulled off the Fischer connector and I lost all 3 cells.
    Of course I could have finished the dive on the 'Dream reading 2 cells but I felt I needed the bail out practice.

RBW Member izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze's Avatar
    JJ

Does it count if you bail out due to convenience? I had water ingress through a leaking opv that was manageable but annoying to clear and instead chose to bail out for the fifteen minute swim back to the boat (ndl dive).

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by izze  View Original Post
    Does it count if you bail out due to convenience? I had water ingress through a leaking opv that was manageable but annoying to clear and instead chose to bail out for the fifteen minute swim back to the boat (ndl dive).
    Sure - That counts. Thanks for sharing!

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar
    Why limit it to last three years? It only needs to happen once to have consequences.

I've had two CO2 hits from the unit and one retained CO2 hit because of a mod to the mouthpiece. But they were beyond the 3 year limit so cant answer your question.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    Why limit it to last three years? It only needs to happen once to have consequences.

I've had two CO2 hits from the unit and one retained CO2 hit because of a mod to the mouthpiece. But they were beyond the 3 year limit so cant answer your question.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Only because Temp probes, CO2 monitoring, and focused improvements in unit designs and scrubber designs I believe have helped us all...

When did the CO2 hits occur? What were the mods?? Not necessary to share the unit as its not worth getting to the pros and cons of a specific unit. Thanks!!
    Last edited by DwayneJ; 24th August 2012 at 07:30.

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

Maybe you should also ask on your poll whether or not a bail out occurred. I have been reb. diving since 06 and so far have not have to bail. There have been occurrences but I was able to rectify and stay on the loop.
    Gabe

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

I bailed out because I could not breathe! Had a rare incidence of Immersion Pulmonary Edema (I need to write this up and post it). Anyway, I figured I get off the loop just in case there is something in the loop giving me pulmonary edema. Once back on the boat, the unit checked out perfectly fine.

I bailed while on an Optima because of total electronics failure. The unit was not flooded and we never could figure out why both hand-sets failed.

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post
    Just wanted to know how common bailout is due to a CO2 hit vs some other mechanical or electronic issue with your CCR... Flooded/O2 Sensors failed/battery dead/burst hose and lost gas etc...
    I've had to temporarily bail out for about 5 minutes during a wreck penetration at 60m. Going into the wreck was fine. It was a narrow hallway going up at a 45 degree angle. When I turned around, I had to go back down at a 45 degree angle for quite a distance. The hydrostatic pressure from having my CL so high up was building up CO2 big time. I was starting to breathe very fast and feel panicked. I felt like I was suffocating. A quick flip of the switch, a couple breaths on OC, and I felt much better. It took a few minutes to exit the wreck, then back on the loop for the remainder of the dive.

So, the only time I've ever been forced to bailout happened to be on a perfectly functioning rebreather.
    Last edited by Steve Schultz; 24th August 2012 at 14:48.

rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schultz  View Original Post
    They hydrostatic pressure from having my CL so high up was building up CO2 big time. I was starting to breathe very fast and feel panicked. I felt like I was suffocating. A quick flip of the switch, a couple breaths on OC, and I felt much better. It took a few minutes to exit the wreck, then back on the loop for the remainder of the dive.

So, the only time I've ever been forced to bailout happened to be on a perfectly functioning rebreather.
    Great feedback - You were able to take control of your breathing!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast