+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Add Helium Truk Lagoon 14-35 July 2012 Trip Report

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Add Helium Truk Lagoon 14-35 July 2012 Trip Report

Itís a long flight to get there, no matter where you are departing from. Some of us left from Miami to Houston to Honolulu to Guam to finally arrive in Truk! Amazingly enough, the travel turned out less arduous than anticipated. Being able to deplane and walk around a bit helped (so did the Ambien).

The rest of the participants caught up with us in Honolulu, except for Sabine and Peter P. who had flown in from Austria. It was close to midnight Truk time when we finally arrived and collected our luggage. Happily everybodyís bags made it except for poor Mike. Of course it was his Evo that Continental failed to put on the plane from Honolulu. Luckily he got it by the next evening and did not miss more than a day of diving.

Cindy and Rob, managers of the TRUK LAGOON DIVE CENTER, gave us a hearty welcome and got us to the hotel. The TRUK STOP is nothing fancy. But the rooms were spacious and clean. The staff was helpful despite running on Truk time. And, the air conditioners were working the entire time while we were there.

The diving was fantastic, amazing, and haunting at times! We had two boats designated just for us. One boat accommodated the recreational range CCR divers and the other the tech range CCR divers. All thirteen of us were on rebreathers. Our little group consisted of nine rEvo, three Poseidon, and one Evo divers. We dived on eleven wrecks. All of them unique and each had something special to offer. It was indelible to run into a skull or other remaining bones thinking how tragically these people had died. All wrecks held lots and lots of artifacts everywhere: tanks, shells, trucks, clothing (although disintegrating), shoes, more guns, bottles, drums Ö.itís all there. And then, there are those gorgeous soft corals covering the outside of those former merchant ships. Some coral growth is complete enough that one cannot ascertain the original structure underneath. I think the Shinkoku Maru was my favorite for coral coverage and the Aikoku Maru for wreck penetration.

My depth ranged from 102 to 203 ft. for the week. The water was a comfortable 86 degrees without any noticeable thermocline. The weather started out cloudy and rainy but cheered up by day two. Rob was our guide on the tech boat and fabulous! Overall the TRUK LAGOON DIVE CENTER appeared to be a very well run organization.

This was an exceptionally well-organized trip thanks to Add Helium. We had no shortages on sorb or fills and the travel arrangements worked well (except for Continentalís oversight on Mikeís Evo). Nobody got bent or otherwise did anything stupid to land him/her in the hospital or jail. I thought the groupís dynamics were great. Peter Sotis easily handled technical problems that arose and amongst the group we had enough spare parts and tools to help each other out.

I want to go again. Typically I prefer not to dive the same site twice as there are too many great places in the world to dive. Truk Lagoon however, requires at least a second if not a third visit. Not to mention that these wrecks will not last forever and some collapsing of structures is already occurring.

Many Thanks to Add Helium for putting this trip together. Itís a memory of a lifetime.

Supporting Member quietmike is an unknown quantity at this point quietmike's Avatar
    rEvo micro

Evolution+

Re: Add Helium Truk Lagoon 14-35 July 2012 Trip Report

What a great trip and great group. New friends (not United...). Practiced bailout and tried a revoooooo..... carry on! Can't wait to do another CCR trip with this group! Truk again, Walkotobi, Bikini, just let me go 3 days early so I have my stuff. It did make home with me though.
    Pics on there way.

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

Great! Lucky you guys. Pictures, videos....?

RBW Member mike0396 is an unknown quantity at this point mike0396's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Discovery MKVI

Dreamdive,

I'm booked with a CCR group in early November - really looking forward to it!

You mentioned that some divers were diving MKVI's. Did they DHL pre-packed scrubber cartridges or were they using the Tecme refillable scrubbers? I'm on a MKVI and DHL are quoting me rediculous prices for freight.

Cheers Mike

There is always a "maybe" CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT RMS

Inspiration

Sounds like great trips I hope I can join one of those Truk Trips sometime next year since for me its only short travel compared to you guys...

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

Hey mike,

Add Helium shipped the MKVI cartridges out ahead of time so they were waiting for us when they arrived.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw  View Original Post
    Great! Lucky you guys. Pictures, videos....?
    I know Mike has some great shots he says but has a hard time uploading from his iPad. He is traveling and we may have to wait until he gets back on his computer

Hello Everybody!

Mike just shared his pictures with us and I took the liberty to post them. I am hoping there might be more forthcoming. Will keep you posted.

Claudia
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread