+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help in finding a cave course

Dive Addicts Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton's Avatar
    Hammerhead, P2, SF2, Flex, Evo

Inspo, Sent, Optima, Mk15, Dol

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Do you really call him "Randy?"
    I called him Randy because I wasn't aware that all of RBW knew he was my father apparently I was very wrong.

Don't get me wrong I am proud to call him dad. I am lucky to have him as my father. He lied for me when I was ten so I could get certified .
    He has also generously allowed me to undertake great training from not just him but some of the best ITs in the world to expand my experience. I'll beer be able to repay him.

In response to Kevin just ask him about his ribs. Last time we wrestled on thanksgiving I broke his rib and he is still scared of me ha ha.

Also he is the one that got his leg broken by a GIRL whale. Ha ha.

Jokin aside he is a great instructor. I hbe had the privilege of training a lot with him. We did our CCR Cave instructors together so I know he has earned his qualifications worthily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

Re: Help in finding a cave course

I would recommend you speak to Martin Robson his website is eau2.com he will train in France and Florida. I did my cave training and normoxic with him a couple of years ago.
    Gabe

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

I can highly recommend Peter Sotis - AddHelium.com.

He was my cave instructor amongst other certifications. He is a fantastic instructor who keeps his enthusiasm for teaching!

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    Bull...... shit.......

You go to bed with raw fingers, weeping silently, smelling of piss and stale drysuit funk.
    ...and this to be optimistic and positive at least!!!!

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

Hello:

If you're looking to use your cave diving training to become a better open water diver then you have options as far as instructors, courses, training locations, etc., what this will mean is that you will learn the basics of cave diving an be able to handle yourself in most situations that dont require depth, deep penetrations, long penetrations, complex circuits, etc.

If you're looking to become the best you can be and eventually plan some very serious dives then you should really come to Florida, there's a reason why people from all over the world choose Florida as a training destination:

1) Florida has more caves per square mile then anywhere in the world.

2) The subterranean environment changes constantly, there are high flow caves, silty, sandy, springs, syphons, varied soil conditions, different water conditions and any combination you can imagine, so the experience you can rack up here is incredible.

Florida can be inexpensive, there are accommodations starting at 25USD per night, the house across the street from AMIGOS DIVE center comes to mind and it has everything you could want down to high speed internet. Flights to Florida from Europe are quite reasonable as well and are often times cheaper the very short "regional" destinations. Rental cars are abundant and can be very inexpensive, once you do some homework I think that you'll find Florida to be more affordable.

I would strongly recommend training with TED MCCOY, Ted is in the category of "best of the best" his lineage and experience is remarkable, I completed a CCR Cave class with him and am a much better diver as a result. No person that has trained with him has a negative thing to say and the cave divers he puts out are skilled, calm and composed under pressure, it's strange how much cave diving.

I did complete an OC cavern and intro course with ANdrew Driver back in the 90's when I was 20 and he's another great instructor with an incredible amount of experience.

I would not recommend DIVE ADDICTS at all, my experience with them was a disaster, the education was below average and some dishonest and unprofessional situations transpired before and during the class, needless to say I didn't finish my CCR Cave class with them but I did have major equipment issues during the class and thats what forced various "cracks in the foundation" to be revealed.

If you need more info please PM me.

Cheers,

JONT

Quote Originally Posted by bryanhnsn  View Original Post
    Hello.
    It's about time for me to do a cave diver course, and I really am in the blue as to where. I live in Israel, and there are no "wet" caves here - so we have no cave diving, and no cave diving instructors (makes you wonder why...). In our tech diver community, we also have vary few certified cave divers.
    But we do have a few nice wrecks. And generally, I understand the difference between a wreck/cave pennetration. And I have never found a good opinion on weather or not cave training suits wreck divin. your opinions..?

Anyway, my budget isn't very high. And still, I want the best Quallity training I can get. And of course I know what Cheap training means. If I could find a dive center I could at for a short period in exchange - I guess that would be perfect...

What about DIR courses? do they have any bennefits? I don't really like their concept ("any other way - you're dead"), and at least the GUE fundementals does'nt teach anything I can't do - so I think I'll pass on them. Any reason not to?

I think it is most likely I will do the course in the mediterranian sea or in europe. Going to the USA or mexico probably isn't going to happen. So far, the only reccomendation I have is for a guy nammed Tody in Sardinia. Any thoughts?

Anyway, I have cheked out TDI and IANTD standards, a king of got a picture of wich courses I need to do. But how far in certification levels do you tthink is a reasonable goal at first, for someone who has never been in a cave?

On the other hand, I am a CCR/OC Trimix diver, OC advanced trimix is planned for September, and I have +- 100 hours of rebreather dives on an Inspiraion. I have been working in the last few years a a diving instructor, currentley with a rating of Deco Procedures/Adv. Nitrox in TDI, with 3000 sport dives and a few hundred tech dives, I guess.

Also, would you reccomend doing these coursen onn CCR or OC? would there be any rel difference as to what I am Certified or Qullified to do?

So where do you think I should start from, and how far do you think I should go in a 1-2 week corse? and do you have any reccomandations for an English speaking Instructor?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

Should you decide to come to Florida for your training I also would highly recommend Ted McCoy just pm if you need contact info.
    Gabe

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Quote Originally Posted by jont  View Original Post
    Hello:

If you're looking to use your cave diving training to become a better open water diver then you have options as far as instructors, courses, training locations, etc., what this will mean is that you will learn the basics of cave diving an be able to handle yourself in most situations that dont require depth, deep penetrations, long penetrations, complex circuits, etc.

If you're looking to become the best you can be and eventually plan some very serious dives then you should really come to Florida, there's a reason why people from all over the world choose Florida as a training destination:

2) The subterranean environment changes constantly, there are high flow caves, silty, sandy, springs, syphons, varied soil conditions, different water conditions and any combination you can imagine, so the experience you can rack up here is incredible.

Florida can be inexpensive, there are accommodations starting at 25USD per night, the house across the street from AMIGOS DIVE center comes to mind and it has everything you could want down to high speed internet. Flights to Florida from Europe are quite reasonable as well and are often times cheaper the very short "regional" destinations. Rental cars are abundant and can be very inexpensive, once you do some homework I think that you'll find Florida to be more affordable.

I would strongly recommend training with TED MCCOY, Ted is in the category of "best of the best" his lineage and experience is remarkable, I completed a CCR Cave class with him and am a much better diver as a result. No person that has trained with him has a negative thing to say and the cave divers he puts out are skilled, calm and composed under pressure, it's strange how much cave diving.

I did complete an OC cavern and intro course with ANdrew Driver back in the 90's when I was 20 and he's another great instructor with an incredible amount of experience.

I would not recommend DIVE ADDICTS at all, my experience with them was a disaster, the education was below average and some dishonest and unprofessional situations transpired before and during the class, needless to say I didn't finish my CCR Cave class with them but I did have major equipment issues during the class and thats what forced various "cracks in the foundation" to be revealed.

Cheers,

JONT
    Jon,

I typically don't respond to these types of posts from small people that attempt to discredit other people's integrity. But since you have decided to publicly air your dirty laundry and drag my company into this, let me just say a few things that need to be said.

1. Dive Addicts has and always will stand behind its business practices, both from an instruction point of view as well as the items we sell. I would be surprised if you could find anyone else anywhere in the industry that would say otherwise.

2. By dishonest, if you are referring to you asking our instructors to fudge on standards and procedures, then you are correct. We will NEVER, EVER, allow any student, regardless of how much money he dangles in front of our face to slip through a course without completing the requirements. Without getting into specifics, you came ill prepared to the course, and went away with hurt feelings after numerous attempts to remedy the situation.

3. As far as the quality of Dive Addicts Instruction, there is a reason why Josh was named as one of the handful of TDI Instructors of the Year in 2011. I'll let that speak for itself. I suppose the fact that I am on the TDI Training Advisory Panel, could also be a sham, but you'll have to take that up with TDI!

4. If you would like to continue this very uncomfortable dialog, I am happy to drag out all of the various email/correspondence that went back and forth and show publicly how Dive Addicts Instructors and the shop bent over backwards to try and help you out when you flooded your unit because you didn't assemble it properly or do the proper pre-dive checks, but then again, that would be very public and probably not something that you would like discussed publicly.

I will however agree with one thing that you said in your post: Ted McCoy is a top notch instructor, and I'm sure people would be well served with his instruction.

Next time you decide to publicly question the integrity of Dive Addicts, our instructors, me or my sons, please feel free to do it in person, as I suspect that the conversation will be more "meaningful"!

Extra warm regards,
    Randy

To the rest of RBW patrons, my sincerest apologies. I will now back out and let the ranting begin. Perhaps a little popcorn might be in order!

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixaddict  View Original Post
    Jon,

I typically don't respond to these types of posts from small people that attempt to discredit other people's integrity. But since you have decided to publicly air your dirty laundry and drag my company into this, let me just say a few things that need to be said.

1. Dive Addicts has and always will stand behind its business practices, both from an instruction point of view as well as the items we sell. I would be surprised if you could find anyone else anywhere in the industry that would say otherwise.

2. By dishonest, if you are referring to you asking our instructors to fudge on standards and procedures, then you are correct. We will NEVER, EVER, allow any student, regardless of how much money he dangles in front of our face to slip through a course without completing the requirements. Without getting into specifics, you came ill prepared to the course, and went away with hurt feelings after numerous attempts to remedy the situation.

3. As far as the quality of Dive Addicts Instruction, there is a reason why Josh was named as one of the handful of TDI Instructors of the Year in 2011. I'll let that speak for itself. I suppose the fact that I am on the TDI Training Advisory Panel, could also be a sham, but you'll have to take that up with TDI!

4. If you would like to continue this very uncomfortable dialog, I am happy to drag out all of the various email/correspondence that went back and forth and show publicly how Dive Addicts Instructors and the shop bent over backwards to try and help you out when you flooded your unit because you didn't assemble it properly or do the proper pre-dive checks, but then again, that would be very public and probably not something that you would like discussed publicly.

I will however agree with one thing that you said in your post: Ted McCoy is a top notch instructor, and I'm sure people would be well served with his instruction.

Next time you decide to publicly question the integrity of Dive Addicts, our instructors, me or my sons, please feel free to do it in person, as I suspect that the conversation will be more "meaningful"!

Extra warm regards,
    Randy

To the rest of RBW patrons, my sincerest apologies. I will now back out and let the ranting begin. Perhaps a little popcorn might be in order!

Randy,

Feel free to post wherever you think you need to but later when I have more time I will post an accurate account of what happened, my only regret is not posting the actual events as happened.

I gave you and Josh more then enough time to make things right and just so you know a 50.00 store credit would have prevented this, I was looking for a little respect DIIVE ADDICTS GAVE NONE......but gladly took my money.

Cave Addict CCR Josh is on a distinguished road CCR Josh is on a distinguished road CCR Josh's Avatar
    HammerHead

Sentinel-Inspo-Optima-Prism 2

Sorry to hi-jack, but I would just like to point out one thing:
    the education was below average.....
    Hmmmmm..... funny how your opinion changed once you were not able to pass the course.

I'm sure other tech instructors know what I am talking about when I say the only complaints I have ever had were from the students who were not able to pass the course for whatever reason (the reason is most often in full control of the student, i.e. they just need more practice).

Anyway.... on to the real topic of the thread, bryanhnsn:

I agree with previous posts about training in FL, it is definitely my preference. There are several good choices for instructors - I guess Jont and I both agree that Ted is one of them. I would be happy to refer students to Ted any day of the week.

If you will not be coming to the USA, Phil Short is a VERY active and exceptional instructor that trains all over Europe and other areas. I know he regularly runs CCR cave courses in France. I am partial to him b/c he was the one who mentored me for my CCR Cave Instructor course, but I can honestly say I don't know how you would be disappointed with him. At least take the time to contact him and get a feel for what kind of instructor he is.

Whatever you decide, good luck! It is an adventure to be sure. If you ever make it over to FL for some cave diving, let me know and maybe we can dive together in the future.

RBW Member Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen's Avatar

Hello:

Cheers,

JONT

You seem to have a history of problems with training Jon. Are you ever content? Did it ever occur to you that YOU are the common denominator in your training issues? It's like groundhog day reading your posts, perhaps this forum is no longer a good fit for you. I have done more moderating in every thread you post in than I care to! PLEASE don't bother posting your "accurate" details.
    Last edited by Linda Bowen; 14th August 2012 at 05:28.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast