+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Coelacanth Expedition July 2012, Manado, Indonesia - Day 2 & 3

RBW Member meagalodonshark is an unknown quantity at this point meagalodonshark's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqueline  View Original Post
    Which site was this? As last year while at Manado Tua, we were not so lucky to see the pelagics.

Planning to go back Bunaken again, maybe next year.

Cheers
    The site that we went to was just in front of the main village, directly across from Fukui dive site. We went in right in front of the big church which is a great landmark that you cannot miss. This was to the left of the pier from that village. A lot more to explore out that front area for sure!

RBW Member meagalodonshark is an unknown quantity at this point meagalodonshark's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Yes, I remember seeing some truly giant trevally at 60+M in different parts of Indo and the Philippine Islands-all split faster than I could have imagined. It's really awesome to see a 2M tall pelagic flick it's tail and be gone. Also saw a bigger than me sized Queensland grouper at 95M in Lombok Trawangan , only big fish I saw on that dive.

6 gill shark? How sure are you? I thought they only lived in much colder temps, closer to freezing. Very much like the idea that you saw one, more motivation to explore...

Yes, that's what I though as well. The shark I saw that time was moving very slowly along the bottom of a ridge about 40m below us, I think at the time we were at about 80m and the water had turned bitterly cold, about 18 degrees.. The body shape suggested that (from the top) it was wider in it's front half than the back. The upper caudal fin seemed longer than the lower caudal fin. The pectoral fins looked angled backwards and close to the body, rather than stretched out like most requiem sharks. it had a dark shade to it with a pointed head. So I'm not 100% sure it was a 6 gill shark, rather than a good guess. But it was a really good size.. Maybe about 2m. Was really excited to see it, would like to go back to that spot deeper and see if we can see it again perhaps for a better I.D

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Re: Coelacanth Expedition July 2012, Manado, Indonesia - Day 2 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by meagalodonshark  View Original Post
    Yes, that's what I though as well. The shark I saw that time was moving very slowly along the bottom of a ridge about 40m below us, I think at the time we were at about 80m and the water had turned bitterly cold, about 18 degrees.. The body shape suggested that (from the top) it was wider in it's front half than the back. The upper caudal fin seemed longer than the lower caudal fin. The pectoral fins looked angled backwards and close to the body, rather than stretched out like most requiem sharks. it had a dark shade to it with a pointed head. So I'm not 100% sure it was a 6 gill shark, rather than a good guess. But it was a really good size.. Maybe about 2m. Was really excited to see it, would like to go back to that spot deeper and see if we can see it again perhaps for a better I.D
    Very cool, sounds like a good possibility, always great to hear a first hand account of deep water CCR fish watching, not so many of us out here! -Andy

Monty Guest montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg's Avatar
    APOCALYPSE #032

Ray, Dolphin, PVR-BASC, IDA-71

Re: Coelacanth Expedition July 2012, Manado, Indonesia - Day 2 & 3

Thanks for a good write-up and report back.

We've found the Coelacanths in colder water - around 18 degrees here in South Africa.

I was on a successful expedition in March this year, and it is absolutely amazing and unbelievable to see these fish underwater. I couldn't believe my eyes and it was a truly unforgettable experience.

It has really changed my life. I'm very grateful to have had the privilege.

Good luck!

rgds
    monty

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2