+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Coelacanth Expedition in Manado, Indonesia - Day 1

  1. #1
    RBW Member meagalodonshark is an unknown quantity at this point meagalodonshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    38
    Megalodon

    Coelacanth Expedition in Manado, Indonesia - Day 1

    After a day of some test dives to 50m, Iain and I got down to the really serious business of going down deep and search for Coelacanth around Bunaken Island in Indonesia. our first of 3 planned dives is to 90m looking for possible areas of interest for our subsequent dives over the next 3 days when we will plan to do dives between 100-120m.

    Iain is using the Inspiration CCR with the Narced @90 head. Myself, am diving with the ISC Megalodon eCCR. Our dive plan was for a 90m dive for 18-20min. The whole dive will take us about 2 hours to get back to the surface after our decompression.

    The conditions for the day was absolutely amazing with calm surface conditions and visibility up to about 30m. After entering the water and checking our bailout tanks we started our descent. After a small stop at 5-6m for a bubble and gear check we headed down. The sloping wall just goes down to over 1,500m, our descent to 90 is very smooth. Everything went according to plan, dive depth, time and decompression. Unfortunately no Coelacanths were seen on this dive, but we have spotted our area of interest for our next dives!

    More info and pics coming soon!

  2. #2
    breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    722
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

    Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

    Re: Coelacanth Expedition in Manado, Indonesia - Day 1

    Which island in particular are you searching for the coelacanth?
    I heard that it was Manado Tua.

  3. #3
    Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    "Da" Bronx
    Posts
    4,116
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

    KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

    Re: Coelacanth Expedition in Manado, Indonesia - Day 1

    Quote Originally Posted by meagalodonshark  View Original Post
    After a day of some test dives to 50m, Iain and I got down to the really serious business of going down deep and search for Coelacanth around Bunaken Island in Indonesia. our first of 3 planned dives is to 90m looking for possible areas of interest for our subsequent dives over the next 3 days when we will plan to do dives between 100-120m.

    Iain is using the Inspiration CCR with the Narced @90 head. Myself, am diving with the ISC Megalodon eCCR. Our dive plan was for a 90m dive for 18-20min. The whole dive will take us about 2 hours to get back to the surface after our decompression.

    The conditions for the day was absolutely amazing with calm surface conditions and visibility up to about 30m. After entering the water and checking our bailout tanks we started our descent. After a small stop at 5-6m for a bubble and gear check we headed down. The sloping wall just goes down to over 1,500m, our descent to 90 is very smooth. Everything went according to plan, dive depth, time and decompression. Unfortunately no Coelacanths were seen on this dive, but we have spotted our area of interest for our next dives!

    More info and pics coming soon!
    you need to find "caves" and the right water temperature.. You wount find it at 90m unless there is some serious cold water upwellings... When ANDI had their expedition back in 2004 we needed depths in excess of 120m (although I think one dive (after a storm) we hit it at about 110) to get the right water temps..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

    All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

  4. #4
    RBW Member meagalodonshark is an unknown quantity at this point meagalodonshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    38
    Megalodon

    Re: Coelacanth Expedition in Manado, Indonesia - Day 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Davydive  View Original Post
    Which island in particular are you searching for the coelacanth?
    I heard that it was Manado Tua.
    Hey Davy

    Yeah thats right! We did the first and third dives on Manado Tua. The second dive we had to do a dive on Bunaken Island because of weather changes. Will post more info on these dives soon.

    Thanks for the interest!

  5. #5
    RBW Member meagalodonshark is an unknown quantity at this point meagalodonshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    38
    Megalodon

    Re: Coelacanth Expedition in Manado, Indonesia - Day 1

    Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    you need to find "caves" and the right water temperature.. You wount find it at 90m unless there is some serious cold water upwellings... When ANDI had their expedition back in 2004 we needed depths in excess of 120m (although I think one dive (after a storm) we hit it at about 110) to get the right water temps..
    Hi Joe

    Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it!
    Our first dive was to 90m as a prep dive and also to get a feel for the site. We did 2 more dives over the next 3 days (which I will post about soon). One dive to 105m and the other to 120m. We did find one area that was beaming with small caves and outcrops. It looked so perfect for where you would expect to find them. For sure the best place I've seen in the area so far. Unfortunately Iain ran out of time on his trip otherwise we would have gone back to that same area for more exploring.

    More reasons to go back and do some more for sure!

    Thanks again very much for the feed back!

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts