+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone tried a tripod? painted with light?

RBW Member bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer's Avatar
    rEvo

Anyone tried a tripod? painted with light?

There is a sunken bridge up here in the Sacandauga reservoir. It was blown off it's plinths in the 20s and rests in the original river channel between 30 and 50 feet down. I am interested in photographing it. The problem is that even in bright sunlight 30 feet down it is a night dive. The water isn't necessary thick with algae, etc as I have had a sample centrifuged. I suspect that there is some colloidal material as I do see that faint halo effect in some photographs. Whatever the reason, the result is an amazing loss of light.
    I was wondering if I could use timed exposures with a camera on a tripod and either/or shoot up silhouetting the girders against the lighter surface or paint the various beams with light using my canister. I have a Canon G11 and a Nikonos V available.

Has anyone tried something similar and would care to provide a few pointers/ideas/etc???

dave

RBW Member Nemo1957 is an unknown quantity at this point Nemo1957's Avatar
    Optima

Re: Anyone tried a tripod? painted with light?

Sure I have done this before. I also know a guy who made a film holder for 5x7 sheet film clamped it to part of a wrecks structure and painted the subject for a few minutes per exposure.

I have been in sagandaga and the biggest issue you may have is settling the tripod on the bottom without stirring the bottom up. Clamping the camera to part of the bridge may solve that issue.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

These are all long(ish) exposures with some light painting. Not great but OK for my first attempt.

Some tips. Use a tripod to steady the camera and lift it off the floor.
    Use a delay (10seconds) on the shutter so any silt can settle/drift away
    Use a light with a wide even beam or better yet use strobes and swim around with them manually firing them.

RBW Member bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer's Avatar
    rEvo

Packhorse:
    Thanks. should have known YOU of all people would have LIGHTS

At this point I am not nearly so well equipped. Just a couple of canisters I made with halogen MR11s and Light Genie CBs to drive them at 16-18 volts. With a 35 watt bulb, 12 degree spot, these travel a measured 9 feet on the bridge before they can no longer be seen. My only flash is the built in flash on the G11 which is why I am thinking of painting with the canisters.

BTW your photos look great, a little of the haunted house look.

Nemo1957:
    Well aware of the bottom... there are a few rocks in the old riverbed and as the bridge is fairly close to the spillway there is often a reasonable current there to clear the silt. Last weekend the current was quite deceptive and I was the only one to reach the bridge. The others kept getting pulled past it on their descent. Also if you dive the bridge you are probably aware that compasses don't work too well in the area. A lot of iron in rocks and soil.

+ Reply to Thread