+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate Pressure, 1st Stage????

New Member mothball is an unknown quantity at this point mothball's Avatar

Intermediate Pressure, 1st Stage????

Can anyone tell me (or is willing) to tell me what the intermediate pressure is for the Dolphin 1st Stage?

Can anyone tell me where I can get a Draeger Dolphin Repair Manual (the one the rebreather 'mechanics' use)?

I appologize for my behavior on this site BUT I am so aggrevated with this gd thing that I want to take a sled hammer to this thing. I have followed the manufactures' instructions and maintenence intructions and the gd thing does NOT work. I have sent this Dolphin back to dealer and it has been handed back STILL not working six times (and counting). I just want this POS to work properly. All I want is SILENCE!!!

Thanx in advance. Semper Fi Dave

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar

Re: Intermediate Pressure, 1st Stage????

The Dolphin 1st stage IP is 16.5 bar, or about 245#.

What is it about the thing that you say isn't working after it comes back, maybe it's a setup issue, not a hardware one.

Darlene

Bloody Rebreathers! Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell is a jewel in the rough Jason Blackwell's Avatar
    O2ptima, Sentinel, Prism 2

Inspiration & KISS & Poseidon

Putting on my best doctor's voice, "What seems to be the problem?"

Well, that's a lot of the frustration. Every time it's something different. For instance, several months back I cleaned my injectors (especially the 50% jet) they weren't clogged, but I wanted to make sure they were clean. So I soaked the doseage meter in white vinegar and distilled water, rinsed it good and dried it with a blow drier. I put the whole system back together using the check list and began to run all the system checks and, low and behold, my 50 jet is now clogged. I don't know how because I was careful to not have any dust or lint or paper of any sort on or around the dosage meter. So I called the dealer ( who's about 1.5 hours away, not far away, but...) He told me to bring it in, so I did, he cleaned it and it was still clogged. I had suggested putting it in an ultra sonic cleaner and he said Draeger said NO to that. So I figured who am to tell a manufacturer what to recommend for their equpment and product. Long story short, we stuck it in an ultra sonic cleaner and viola, it cleaned the jet. I still don't know why it was not clogged and then it was clogged.
    My latest adventure has been that it was due for an overhaul and my mouthpiece sprung a bad leak (red side). I get it back for $300+ but, it's nice and clean, I'm excited, I get my check lists out and put together and begin running tests again. It does REAL good on the negative test, good mouthpiece, this thing is clean and tight. Then I turn the gas on and the counterlung fills up as tight as basketball in about two and half seconds and shot gas steadily out of the OPV valve so I shut the gas off. At first, I thought WOW those injectors are real clean now! It held a real tight positive test. Then it dawned on me, I can't breath that fast, nor do I want to. It's never done THIS before. I called the guy immediately and told him what was happening. He had me make an adjustment to the doseage meter and that wasn't it, so I'm thinking it's got to be the first stage (which always worked fine before). This was a month ago (I was bummed out that the unit still didn't work...AGAIN, and I guess now I'm just angry, that's why I just walk away sometimes and relax). My girlfriend's taking it to the shop this morning. Hopefully they can get this thing to work.
    I've had to abort as many and maybe more dives than I have dives with it. I've had two instances where the unit was properly set up and passed all the system tests on the dock, and we get out to the dive site and the doseage meter crapped out. One time it was free flowing, the other time the injector jammed It was working, then it wasn't all a sudden I had to abort several dives because the mouthpiece sprung a leak. I would check it at home, it would pass the suck/blow tests (both sides) just fine. I would make sure it was unmolested during transport to site and on the predive check all of a sudden my mouthpiece is leaking. I would double,triple and quadruple check that the mouthpiece was All the way on or All the way off and nope, it was now leaking It's been a frustrating and very concerning three years with this unit. I have squeezed a wopping 9hrs13mins on the unit. Which I'll admit, when the unit works, IT IS NICE:) ,but it just seems that for the time and money and effort I put into this, I should have a whole lot more hours on it. Hopefully this week will be better. And hopefully I can get and read the service manual so I won't have to be at the mercy of a dealer anymore. Well, I guess it's about time for me to go to work. Thanx for letting me blow my steam. I hope you get through your latest project also. Semper Fi Dave

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar

Have you had the tank you're using for it VIP'd lately, almost sounds like you have some rust in the tank and it's playing hell as tiny bits somehow make it thru your system.

If the tank is OK, have you had the 1st stage serviced recently, if not, maybe some corrosion is flaking off and causing your downstream gremlins. If you take the IP hoses off the 1st stage, what does it look like when you shine a light into the holes?

You might also look at the hoses and see if you have any decay.

Depending on what may have happened to the unit in the past, ie: major loop flood or run out of gas, you could have salt deposits all back thru the hoses and/or 1st stage/tank.

The litany of problems you describe, just seem to all relate to some kind of debris randomly blowing thru your system.

Darlene

Now THAT is something that NEVER crossed my mind. Hmmm... that would, in fact, explain all the doseage meter problems. I do keep all my tanks with current VIPs and hydros but I did notice that there were only old VIP stickers on the tanks when I bought them from the instructor/dive shop owner :o :o . I just bought a nice Luxfer 50 so I know it's clean.
    I'll have to check the 1st stage hoses when I get the unit back tomorrow. Boy oh friggin boy, I wonder if I can just get new first stage hoses and maybe eliminate that possibility all together. As far as the first stage is concerned, it was freshly overhauled and serviced last month, I trust it was serviced properly, but the intermediate pressure did not seem to be set right, sooo....
    As far as out of gas or loop floods are concerned, I have never had a loop flood or out gas situation on my watch. In fact, when I was very new to diving (probably less than 40 dives) I already had to assist 4 divers who were out of gas underwater, so my biggest pet peeve as a divemaster is "read your gauges, they're there for reason.They are not there for decoration or an entanglement oppurtunity".
    I got the service manual already, so I'll start reading about how to take the mouthpiece apart and put it back together properly since I've had several mouthpiece leaks.
    Well, I really appreciate the insight and help from all. I'm going to check out some of these possibilities when I get the unit back tomorrow. And again I apologize for blowing an o-ring yesterday. Semper Fi Dave

Make sure you put a *New* oring on the screw connection that secures the knob you open/close the dsv with. It's easily overlooked, and it'll be a pesky leak to track down.

Any little particles of salt or corrosion could also keep the adv from closing off properly, as well as blocking an orifice. When you take the hoses off the 1st stage, be sure to look at the metal fittings for deposits.

Just because a unit comes from an instructor or a shop, it's no guarantee of good maintainance.

Of the 2 I got from a shop, one tank was perfectly good to go, the other is so bad, it's not even good enough to tumble, it's so badly rusted.

Good luck getting it squared away,

Darlene

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Darlene,

I have to say that is outstanding long-distance trouble-shooting, and excellent advice.

Well said, m'am, very well said! :D Some green coming your way!

My Dad has always told me, "if in doubt, ask a woman, she'll get you going in the right direction":D ;) :p

OK, I got the unit back two days ago... It seems to be working now. I sent it to the shop set up already so they could see what the unit was doing and they gave it back to set up and ready to go diving. The guy that delivered it to me wasn't the one who worked on it, so I didn't get a straight answer about EXACTY what was wrong, but there was ellusion to a very embarrassed rebreather tech, so I'll chaulk up one more strike against this thing and give it another chance.

I'd like to take it apart but this thing has been so fickle and flimsy that I'm afraid if I take it apart it might not work again. I think I'll put it in the pool tomorrow morning. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Semepr Fi Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast