+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How can 1 pound of lead kill you?

HammerHead ccr IT Marco V is an unknown quantity at this point Marco V's Avatar
    HammerHead, BE ccr prototype

Optima Inspiration Aegir PSCR

Re: How can 1 pound of lead kill you?

Thanks for sharing Don.
    An other good example that explain problems, if not accident, can happen often for 'stupid' reasons.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Everyone messes up. Just glad it worked out. Thanks for teaching us something!

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami  View Original Post
    Thanks for teaching us something!
    Don certainly can't be accussed of not passing along his fair share of valuable info for the benefit of others.

However Howard, the thought Don being the authority figure at the chalk board in the front of the classroom, scares the hell out of me!

hell is in the details Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T's Avatar
    JOKI/rEVO/HOME MADE

EDO04 Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Jantje  View Original Post
    Next time, clip it off to your SMB/liftbag line. That's what I do with positive AL80's, tape measures, clipboards and other stuff that I use for reef monitoring.
    Good idea to keep somewhere in my memory!

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    In my usual style of reporting, I will give a truthful and embarrassing account of my recent screw up.

A bunch of my friends got together and chartered a boat to treat me to my Birthday Dive. We went out to the Hydro Atlantic which sits in about 170' of water. Several of us were bringing scooters to play follow the leader and such. All of this is pretty much a typical dive for us and there was not any special procedures that we needed to deal with.

I went through my usual routine last night to get my gear prepped for today. Everything was ready and by the garage door with the exception of my scooter, which was still hooked up to the charger.

I get ready this morning and loaded up my gear. I looked at the label inside the nose cone of my scooter (it has the different weights needed for UV-18 vs. UV-26 and fresh or salt water listed there) so that I could make sure to get my weight right. I went as far as removing the body to verify that the weight pocket was empty. OK, all set. Problem was to be found immediately upon entering the water. I was light and needed 1 pound for salt water and i did not put it in. See the problem yet?

I went ahead and did the dive and really enjoyed myself. When it was time to come up, I let the current carry me off the wreck as I got my lift bag and reel ready for deployment. I dropped my scooter and let if hang, but it was bouyant and floated right up in front of my face. I pushed it off to the side and continued to inflate my lift bag. here comes that damned scooter again and I push it out of the way. This was not really a big deal but more of a slight annoyance.

This is the interesting part. Suddenly I notice that I had a serious case of chipmunk cheeks and the particles in the water seem to be falling at a rather serious rate of speed. Shit, I was headed up and had completely lost track of my position in the water column. I let my loop dump via loose lips and began dumping my wing. I blew past my 70' stop and made it all the way to 40' before I became negative and sank back down and got sorted out.

I did my deco hang and exited the water without further issue. I had not been in the water in 4 weeks and this was my first wetsuit dive of the season.

It is a damn wonder how something as trivial as a 1 pound weight could end up doing this to me. Sometimes I obviously suffer from a cranial rectal inversion.

OK, ya'all can give me shit for whatever you see fit now.

exact same thing happend to me 3 years ago.... i learned too, it wont happen again to either of us right !!!!!

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post
    Don certainly can't be accussed of not passing along his fair share of valuable info for the benefit of others.

However Howard, the thought Don being the authority figure at the chalk board in the front of the classroom, scares the hell out of me!
    I didn't say what it was that I learned: "Don't do what Don does!"

Dive Addicts Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton's Avatar
    Hammerhead, P2, SF2, Flex, Evo

Inspo, Sent, Optima, Mk15, Dol

Good story, thanks for sharing, I am glad everything worked out ok

RBW Member Mr B. is an unknown quantity at this point Mr B.'s Avatar
    Sentinel - Ouroboros

Similar issue happened to me when I miss to fill sorb until top of the scrubber (means 0.3 kg sorb was missing). Could not stay at -6 meters after released my 3 stages for an excercice and all ends in a "nearly" deep water black out! It takes me 2 days to find where the problem was as I dive in same configuration since years... And yes with absolut minimum lead, means no lead at all with the SF-2.
    We learn by every dive.

Matt Matt_Camp is an unknown quantity at this point Matt_Camp's Avatar
    Drager Ray mCCR, Inspiration

OK so here's where I struggle, and maybe it's not for this thread...

I keep reading posts about peoples buoyancy / weighting at initial descent. such as drain the loop, breathe out, point down and pull the trigger! but if I do all of that and then I need to bail out onto my 11L after a freeflow or leak on my O2 and/ or Dil, then surely I will struggle to maintain buoyancy.

I dive with 2 x 4L cylinders plus my 11L. If I do my buoyancy check and weighting with those all nearly empty then I easily sink when they are full. So am I over-weighting or don't people generally appreciate the buoyancy changes, because a CCR working properly is not going to change much in buoyancy terms?

Am I apply too many OC principles to CCR diving?

Matt

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I know that some CCR divers are too light. They do not have their weight set for when there tanks are empty. They just assume that they can drop them or send them up a line if they get too light.

I also know that I can tend to have my CL's too full when I first hit the water and my drysuit is usually not completely vented either. Sometimes going head down and kicking is my easist and fastest method to start sinking. By the time I am at 5', I will be dropping without effort.

Upon ascent my suit will vent easily due to pressure and my lung volume is already at minimum so holding a stop is easy. I almost always add 2 pounds so that I can keep extra air in my suit at deco (I am a warm water wuss).

I set my weight with the least that I will ever dive with and that is 1 alum 40 for BO. If I take 4 alum 80's, I do not change my weight.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

If you want to know how I really feel then this link is for you:

MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS AND IDEAS

Don't blame me if you don't like what you see!
    Last edited by Dsix36; 21st May 2013 at 21:39.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast