+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New guy with questions!

RBW Member Sparks is an unknown quantity at this point Sparks's Avatar

New guy with questions!

Hello!

Quick bit about myself, I'm currently an electrical engineering student at Michigan Tech (right on Lake Superior) and really love diving. I'm pretty new though (only 17 dives) and have, since before my certification, been fascinated with rebreathers. So, my questions:

When should one get into rebreathers? I've read that OW Dive Masters with five billion dives have a hard time because they're so used to OC, especially with the buoyancy control changes, but is, say 50 dives too soon?

Second, as mentioned above, I'm a college student and as such am not as... financially prosperous as I'm assuming most of you are. Any advice for a guy on a tight budget?

Your help is appreciated!

RBW Member Meno is an unknown quantity at this point Meno's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

Re: New guy with questions!

Hallo.

Rebreather-diving is really very fascinating and cool. I can deeply recommend it to you.

I think, it would be good to have around 100 dives OC before starting CC. Anyway, re-breather diving is very different and you need to get this specific experience. But feeling sure OC, makes everything easier. And don't worry, the buoyancy is different, but not a hugh thing.

I had 900 OC dives before starting.

For your budget: by a used Inspiration Classic (or other unit, which is used in your region). There are a lot good unit for a good price available. (I'm selling my, based in Switzerland, for EURO 3'500...)

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: New guy with questions!

There is a marketing push to get people on rebreathers earlier. I am not yet convinced it is a great idea but time will tell.
    I would suggest you continue to gain experience with OC diving and transition to CCR when you feel you need it to do the kind of diving you want to do. Diving CCR for the sake of being on a rebreather is probably not a good idea no matter what some people (mostly those who have a financial motive) will tell you.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

+ Reply to Thread