+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to photography - setup

RBW Member s115 is an unknown quantity at this point s115's Avatar
    Meg Apecs/SW

New to photography - setup

Gday,

I'm relatively new to taking photos underwater, except using the odd point and shoot camera in plastic housing to blast shots out.

I've got a few trips this year i'd like to have a decent camera for, and get some practice on before i go, so i was thinking of getting something reasonable.

I'd like to spend under 3k and also would like the ability for all parts to go to 100m or just past.

I was thinking a canon g12 in a patima housing, with a wide angle port.
    along with one inon z240 strobe. comes in at around aud$2500 total incl delivery.

Any help/suggestions? i really dont want to go dslr as yet, but am open to suggestion.

thanks,
    Shannon

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Re: New to photography - setup

I have has a G10 and a G11.
    Great P & S cameras.

I now have a Olympus EPL3. Its a step above. Well worth a look. Many of the benefits of a dSLR but with out the size and price.

Longbottom Time RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL's Avatar

If $ is the reason not to go DSLR you may want to slow down and rethink this. Have you considered lightly used gear? When Canon came out with the 5D MKll there was the rush , by those that have to have the very latest, to sell their 5D gear. Took about two weeks to find the deal I wanted, Sea and Sea DX 5D housing, as new, doubt it was in the water twice, for less than a grand ( $2600 new) and a canon 5D ($2300 new) as new for a grand. Point is that with a little time and research you can get into a DSLR setup. If you think the other set up is ALL you want or need then go for it .......but if you are only going that route to save money it may not really work out that way in the long run. With the economy the way it is there are deals to be had with just a little looking.

Meg Apecs/SW

thanks for the ideas... now i'm even more confused! more reading is needed.

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

I'd agree with purchasing a used DSLR. Unless national geographic is calling for your photos -a used, not so modern DSLR, will be a much better option than a P&S cameras

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Pathfinder, Inspo, Kiss, MKVI

Quote Originally Posted by RAL  View Original Post
    If $ is the reason not to go DSLR you may want to slow down and rethink this. Have you considered lightly used gear? When Canon came out with the 5D MKll there was the rush , by those that have to have the very latest, to sell their 5D gear. Took about two weeks to find the deal I wanted, Sea and Sea DX 5D housing, as new, doubt it was in the water twice, for less than a grand ( $2600 new) and a canon 5D ($2300 new) as new for a grand. Point is that with a little time and research you can get into a DSLR setup. If you think the other set up is ALL you want or need then go for it .......but if you are only going that route to save money it may not really work out that way in the long run. With the economy the way it is there are deals to be had with just a little looking.
    Good advice. I imagine there will be a glut of 5DMk2's and 7D's on the market soon enough, due to both the 5d3 and expected 7Dmk2 releases. I'm keeping my old 7D's as it's a great camera, but most will be selling them I imagine to fund the upgrade.

RBW Member Deep_Six is an unknown quantity at this point Deep_Six's Avatar
    Mk15.5

Meg, rEvo, KISS, Dräger

I just went through a similar process except I wound up with the Olympus OM-D in a Nauticam housing with YS-D1. I am moving from my Ike/G11/DS161 combo. Although, I strongly considered an dSLR, I just could not justify the cost/weight/size. I've spoken with a number of fairly experienced folks that are dumping the 7D/5D's in favor of these newer, smaller systems. However, the depth rating for the various ports (EM5 housing has a 100m rating) is not clear. Many of the Nauticam ports for dSLR's have a 75m rating.

Meg Apecs/SW

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Six  View Original Post
    Although, I strongly considered an dSLR, I just could not justify the cost/weight/size.
    thanks for the advice all, as deep_six above, i could not justify the cost/weight of a dslr as yet. i went with the new sony rx-100 and the recently released nauticam 100m housing for same.

AUD$1700 total is pretty good so far. and since i bought a newer model camera and housing, if i want to upgrade in the next year (ie i find that i love photography) I should be able to flog it off for a decent sum.

inon strobe or two will follow soon along with some lenses. and when i get strobes they will tag along with whatever setup I am upgrading to.

i like the look of the inon z240s...

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Pathfinder, Inspo, Kiss, MKVI

Z240s are nice for tec dives. Small, not too negative and sync via optic fibre cables - nice if snags and pulls out, cheap too if you DIY them (eBay search toslink).

RBW Member Deep_Six is an unknown quantity at this point Deep_Six's Avatar
    Mk15.5

Meg, rEvo, KISS, Dräger

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Six  View Original Post
    ...Many of the Nauticam ports for dSLR's have a 75m rating.
    To clarify, Nauticam replied to an email and stated that the m43 domes (like for the NA-EM5 that I have) are indeed 100m rated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast