+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Want to switch to CCR, where do I begin??

RBW Member Mgif99 is an unknown quantity at this point Mgif99's Avatar

Want to switch to CCR, where do I begin??

Hello all, I want to begin the switch to rebreather diving but I'm overwhelmed by all the information! I am full cave and full trimix certified, and want to switch to a rebreather to be able to extend my depth and time I spend underwater.

Specific questions:

1. How do you "test drive" different types of rebreathers?

2. How do you find/choose an instructor?

3. Which units are easiest to travel (by plane) with?

Any other info about transitioning from OC to CCR will be greatly appreciated!

Mike

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

Re: Want to switch to CCR, where do I begin??

Well try dives are a great way to start. Look in your local area ask around the shops for CCR divers and try and hook up. Also if you look up on different CCR manufacturer sites they list instructors, search your area and contact them. You will find them more than willing to help you out. I'm sure someone here will be more than willing within your area.

Most rebreathers are travel friendly. They can be bought that way or simply adjusted to a lighter weight, depending on unit. Learn all you can about them before hand as much as possible. There are a few good books to start with perhaps check out Rebreathers Simplified, by Dr Mel Clark AKA Scubagrunt on this forum. A great read describing many types of units and the difference between Set up tear downs, operations and the differences of ECCR, SCR, MCCR etc. One good point is to find a unit you can get access to service and parts easily enough. There are some great ones here used on the forum if that's an option your looking at. Either way take your time, its a great way to dive, but at a bigger investment and commitment.

Instructors, don't be afraid to ask around about any names you come across. Again use the search tab here you find alot of resources.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by RSmith; 5th June 2012 at 00:35.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Hi and welcome.

You can test drive at many locations. Here in FL - I do the Evo, Sentinel and Poseidon and have rental units, Peter Sotis does the rEvo, Meg, Sentinel, Titan etc. There are plenty of other instructors that have units too that can meet you at the caves or at your locale.

It is a minefield, I agree. So many options, so many opinions. Fortunately, there are more good units than bad and they all do pretty much the same thing.

Some points that are important to me. (This isn't necessarily what other instructors will say, its all personal preference)

- Unit has to be buoyant enough in water for both wet and dry diving. Some units are hideous in a wetsuit. as a caver, you might not care about this.

- I like units designed from top to bottom by a manufacturer. I don't like 3rd party electronics. Anyone with a CNC machine can make a delrin can and stick a stock draeger loop on it and someone else's computer / o2 controller. I like the idea of end to end design with integrated electronics hence my preference for AP, Poseidon and VR.

-Manual vs eCCR. Still no evidence that one is better than the other. Just be careful of some bizarre training practices that teach you to be 'better than the machine'

Over the shoulder vs backmount. Generally I find OTS breathes a bit better, unless you get a huge machine like a boris or a MK15, where the WOB is very low. as a caver, you'll probably find the clutter free chest of rEvo and sentinel appealing. For deep ocean, the OTSCL's are nice, especially the inspo style manual add valve / buttons. This design can take a lot of water in the loop.

Good luck! Im happy to answer any questions as will Peter Sotis, any of the Thornton clan (Dive Addicts), Dave Tomblin, Joe Radomski on the North East coast, Doug Ebersole for the KISS etc, etc. Sorry if I missed anyone???
    Last edited by ChrisBrown; 5th June 2012 at 00:42.

donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo's Avatar

Send me a PM, I train on Evolutions / Inspirations.

Don

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

I was in the middle of a reply to you when my computer crashed on me yesterday! So I will try again.

I agree with Chris that you should look at multiple rebreathers. They all have pros and cons and I am sure you will find one that fits your current diving needs. Given that you are already TMX and cave, you might steer clear of "recreational type rebreathers".

I would also steer clear of shops and instructors who only teach one or two units since there might be some bias attached to his/her recommendation.

The next big question is: Finding a good instructor! That is at least equally important to finding a unit that fits your needs! I have only had two rebreather instructors and stuck with my second one. He taught me on the rEvo as a cross over and since then I have completed normoxic, full trimix and cave. I stuck with him because I thought he was absolutely excellent!

How do you find an awesome instructor? By recommendation mostly, I would think.

There is one more thing I want to throw out there: If you are in OH (Dayton?), if your time and travel budget allows, why not go to an area that has warmer waters and nicer climates. I know I sound very much biased by recommending Florida, but if the oceans are too rough for training, there are enough fresh water sites available to complete training. Just a thought.

Good luck and save diving!

Oh, sorry I overlooked this:

I dive the new rEvo micro rMS just came back from Grand Cayman. I transported it on a carry on. Pictures attached:)
    Attached Images

RBW Member Mgif99 is an unknown quantity at this point Mgif99's Avatar

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I guess my question right now is: what's the best way to find a place to let me "try out" different models? I make it to cave country and Orlando fairly frequently, so any recommendations on shops in these areas that have multiple models and will let you try them out? My limited knowledge seems to indicate most popular models do a good job, so now it would just be a question of which one "feels" the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Mgif99  View Original Post
    Thanks for all the responses and advice. I guess my question right now is: what's the best way to find a place to let me "try out" different models? I make it to cave country and Orlando fairly frequently, so any recommendations on shops in these areas that have multiple models and will let you try them out? My limited knowledge seems to indicate most popular models do a good job, so now it would just be a question of which one "feels" the best?
    Peter Sotis is in Naples but has 7 or more rebreathers to show you. You might want to contact him (AddHelium.com), too.

Banned zirk is an unknown quantity at this point zirk's Avatar
    rEvo

Try Dayo scuba in Orlando.

+ Reply to Thread