+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus Lifeline User - Please Read

RBW Member marc_d is an unknown quantity at this point marc_d's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Nautilus Lifeline User - Please Read

Hi All,

I recently returned my unit to Miflex who in turn sent it back to Canada for testing because I couldn't hear the skipper and my GPS positions on the unit was about a mile and half away from the boat ( Channel Diver ) I was standing on. Canada reported back the unit is not broken and they updated the firmware from V.58 to V.62.

What I have discovered through this experience is that the squelch setting should be on AUTO & my unit came from the factory on 130. I hadn't touched it so please check your unit is set to AUTO, they tell me if manually adjusted it should be between 90-115, but best to use this AUTO setting. I'm not sure where it is becuase I didn't see it on my unit.

It would also appear that as various changes are being made to the firmware on a regular basis as different things are upgraded or discovered, it would be very wise to plug in your unit before every day's diving and check if any firmware updates are needed and the battery life is good. I personally can't see people remembering to plug their units in on a regular basis more like they will turn it on see the battery life is sufficient and put it back in their dive kit.

I plugged my unit in the week leading up to my dive on 28th April and had 98% battery and run a firmware update but didn't have any AUTO setting on my unit otherwise it would have worked that day on the boat.

Here is some feed back which highlights running regular updates is very very important.

I run mine the week leading upto the dive and some of these changes must have been made between me running the update and putting it in my bag.

STROBE.

On the firmware that was on the unit when we received it, there was no way of testing the strobe without entering distress mode. There is a self-diagnostic feature that has been incorporated into v.60 firmware. Press the orange button 3 times to enter self-test mode but important to read the manual before trying this.

Couldn't hear the skipper from 2 feet away.

Channel 08 was originally specified by the British Authorities as a duplex channel. Which means ship to shore and not ship to ship. We received permission to program CH 08 as a duplex frequency which means that ship to ship is now functional on that frequency. This change was incorporated in the firmware update v.58. We updated the firmware on this unit to v.62 Tested the RF output. It is working perfectly. PLEASE NOTE that VHF radios will often not work when they are side by side. It's the nature of the RF output that you should be at least 5 metres apart.

I've since been told channel 8 is intact a simplex channel in UK can is used for ship to ship transmissions.

I would be interested to learn of any other unit holders that dont have AUTO on their unit, I wonder how many units are out their like mine on 130 or something else.

Got another email today saying Canada is aware of the GPS issue and V.64 is already being released for update on Friday and should correct the previous correction.
    Last edited by marc_d; 28th May 2012 at 22:31.

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Re: Nautilus Lifeline User - Please Read

I was actually planning on buying one this past week, but didn't make it over to the shop to pick it up.

Once I buy it, I'll be sure to follow your advice about updating it frequently.

Thanks!

Spree Driver wookie will become famous soon enough wookie will become famous soon enough wookie will become famous soon enough wookie's Avatar

Even more importantly, or just as important, you need to ensure that your dive boat has DSC set up so that they can receive an emergency call to your unit. I'm sure I'm set up properly, but I can't get anyone to respond (by anyone I mean Coast Guard and Towboat and SeaTow) to a standard DSC call. I have followed the instructions for Coast Guard, for SeaTow, and for Towboat. Not one responds to a non-emergency DSC call. I'm beginning to thing it's all BS. I don't really want to push the little red button to get everyone really excited.....

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

Just updated my firmware to the current version, and I checked the squelch setting and it was "auto".

Thanks for the heads up.

Tobin

RBW Member marc_d is an unknown quantity at this point marc_d's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Send any issues to here :

dive@nautilusexplorer.com
    info@nautiluslifeline.com

The more they get the better.

More info available here :
    http://support.nautilusexplorer.com/index.php?

To download the software
    http://nautiluslifeline.com/downloads

For Technical Support Questions
    http://nautiluslifeline.com/techsupport.html

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by wookie  View Original Post
    Even more importantly, or just as important, you need to ensure that your dive boat has DSC set up so that they can receive an emergency call to your unit. I'm sure I'm set up properly, but I can't get anyone to respond (by anyone I mean Coast Guard and Towboat and SeaTow) to a standard DSC call. I have followed the instructions for Coast Guard, for SeaTow, and for Towboat. Not one responds to a non-emergency DSC call. I'm beginning to thing it's all BS. I don't really want to push the little red button to get everyone really excited.....
    I prefer to keep my PLB and VHF transciever in a water proof cannister. I know it works anywhere and I have more options and flexibility.

If your having trouble with DSC I suspect many other captains have given up on it and I know many boats around the world will not have the capability at all.

I am not being negative on this product. Just it does not meet my needs but is better then having nothing when diving in the open ocean. Just be sure to understand the reality of what it can and cannot do. Being lost at sea is not the best time to learn its capabilities and limitations.

John

RBW Member Jochen Lenz is an unknown quantity at this point Jochen Lenz's Avatar
    We were one of the fist dive centers in the Caribbean to use the Nautilus Lifeline and we are more than happy with them.
    The squelch always was set on auto when we took them out of the box - and we took quite a few of them out of the box...
    To install the MMSI number and make the unit fully functional you have to connect the it to your pc or laptop and their software and thats where you can change the squelch settings as well.

Jo

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

I just updated my firmware the other day as I will be diving the Normannia off NC coast this Friday.

Sent from my Shearwater Predator...

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

I just purchased mine on Add Helium.com and can't wait to get it!!

Banned zirk is an unknown quantity at this point zirk's Avatar
    rEvo

I've had mine for 8 months and it works great. I bit hard to hear the boat responding back in big seas but ok. I keep mine pluged in during the week. This keeps the battery up and updates current. Spruce Creek Scuba in Port Orange Fl. gave me a great deal on the unit. I always keep it with me when in the ocean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast