+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 02 Over pressure Valves on 1st Stages

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

02 Over pressure Valves on 1st Stages

Hi:

Can someone tell me if there's a difference between the following 2 Valves? The large valve is off of a REVO and the small off of a Hammerhead, this begs the following questions:

1) I'd like to with them out use the HH valve on the Revo and vice versa.

2) Can the valve be anywhere on the LP line? I don't have the real Estate to use a proper button gauge and the Valve without adding an offset LP port

What I want to do is have downward facing HP button gauges, loose the HP hoses

Thanks,
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jont; 17th May 2012 at 21:27. Reason: Mistake

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Re: 02 Over pressure Valves on 1st Stages

Lots of people make 1 stage OPVs....

I am not aware of any major differences other than the pressure that they are adjusted for....

But knowing Paul... His might be SPECIAL..... lol

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by diverklondike  View Original Post
    Lots of people make 1 stage OPVs....

I am not aware of any major differences other than the pressure that they are adjusted for....

But knowing Paul... His might be SPECIAL..... lol
    Do they have to be on the first stage or can they be in an LP line?

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by jont  View Original Post
    They are designed in shape to fit the 1st stage nicely on the LP ports so I suppose you can fit it on the LP line if you have a way. Diluent 1st stages dont use it as the ADV can act as an OPV.

Cheers!

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

Pressure is pressure. OPV's are fitted when there is no 2nd stage. OPV's are typically at the first stage, and 2nd stages are at then end of an LP hose.......

As long as you cannot isolate the OPV from the first stage it will open when the IP exceeds the cracking pressure of the OPV regardless of where in the LP system it resides.

Tobin

RBW Member jdh is an unknown quantity at this point jdh's Avatar
    rEvo

Classic KISS

Hi:

What I want to do is have downward facing HP button gauges, loose the HP hoses

Thanks,

I tried plain button gauges, but they looked like they would get cracked/damaged too easily. HP swivels were marginally better, but they didn't position the gauges well.

I ended up with button gauges on the end of 6" braided hoses. Less rigid mounting and should be able to handle slight impacts better. They are tied back like a stage bottle reg and are pretty easily visible.
    John

RBW Member Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by jdh  View Original Post
    I tried plain button gauges, but they looked like they would get cracked/damaged too easily. HP swivels were marginally better, but they didn't position the gauges well.

I ended up with button gauges on the end of 6" braided hoses. Less rigid mounting and should be able to handle slight impacts better. They are tied back like a stage bottle reg and are pretty easily visible.
    John
    I hate button gauges. I've got 2 blown this last 6 months or so. (I have them on my bailout cylinders.)

Last week one went on my 50% at depth. It was like someone shot a pistol next to my ear. What a noise! I immediately did the boom procedure. (Was well trained. ) I was sure something HP was gone. I spent minutes checking everything but couldn't find it. During rinsing I saw that the button gauge glass was gone. Luckily the glass didn't hit me or the rEvo.

Another time the glass of an exploded button gauge hit my leg and it wasn't pretty.

I use now these things: http://cdn1.divegearexpress.com/medi...RG2740-250.jpg
    They are more of a hassle, but they work at least.

But I know where you're coming from. I would be great to get rid of the HP hoses. I am thinking about trying it with a very short hose one time. I could bungee them to the side of the case. I could use a small mirror to look at the gauge and the rEvoDreams at the side if needed. I use a small mirror anyway for the bubble check.
    It's probably too much hassle.

Everything is still standard on my rebreather and the more I dive it the more I'm convinced it's the best config.
    Last edited by Jantje; 18th May 2012 at 17:07.

+ Reply to Thread