+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu v12.04 LTS Installation

RBW Member bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: Ubuntu v12.04 LTS Installation

apparmor is their solution to roles based security. I generally turn it off as the systems I run are on secure networks and contain no critical applications. I don't remember what release it was first used, but it is fairly recent. First time I ran across it was when I upgraded the OS and my applications would no longer run. Not sure how much Linux you know so I appologise if this gets pedantic:

/etc/init.d is the directory that contains the software that should run automatically at startup. it is arranged by files that usually have the name of they process they run. Thus apparmor contains the startup script for apparmor. Often if you look at the files (more /etc/init.d/apparmor) you will see that they have startup parameters often start , stop, restart) Many can be started or shutdown with the command: "sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor stop" should stop apparmor if this command line argument is available. Give it a try. If it is not available I have added some other ways to shut down apparmor.

If you make a sub directory called moved and move the apparmor file there the system will not start apparmor it reboots
    "sudo mkdir /etc/init.d/moved; sudo mv /etc/init.d/apparmor /etc/init.d/moved"

To just kill the apparmor process, locate it with the command "ps -ef |grep armor" (or ps -ax forget which version on Linux) This will provide a list with the apparmor process(es). a couple of columns in you will see two columns with numbers. The first is the process ID, the second is the process ID of the parent program that requested the process start. You want to kill the process IP (PID) not the the parent ID. use "sudo kill -TERM
    " if that won't kill it, replace "TERM" by "-9". TERM is preferable as it does some cleanup and -9 just axes it.

If you just kill the aparmor process, you may get the application to install and run, but the next time it you will probably have the same problem.

Turning off apparmor of better yet modifying the apparmor configuration to allw VPlanner to run are longer term solutions.

HTH.

Will not be able to respond for a while as I have some cement work to do.

dave

RBW Member SCUBACraig is an unknown quantity at this point SCUBACraig's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Dolphin

Thanks, guys! No worries. I am new to linux but not to command lines and general OS internal functions. I did a lot of ini tweaking back with the original win, WFWG and NT.

I am on a laptop behind a hidden wap, but would prefer to maintain security since I do take it outside my network. Sure wish there was an easier way to get root with Ubuntu, though.

I tried killing apparmor and that did not work. Then tried the move-moved, rebooted and that did not work. I reversed it now.

Right now, all files are located in "/usr/bin/vplanner"

Ideas or redirection?

TIA!

Steve Rich stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm's Avatar
    rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

You may get a better response if you tell us specifically how it's not working. What errors are you getting, and what process or command leads you to that error?

Inspiration Classic

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by stunsm  View Original Post
    You may get a better response if you tell us specifically how it's not working. What errors are you getting, and what process or command leads you to that error?
    None. The first time I double click on the bin or open via menu, the HD spins and nothing. If there is a log of error messages, I am not aware of where to look. None appear on-screen.

Steve Rich stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm's Avatar
    rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

If you have everything in /usr/bin/VPlanner, open a terminal, type 'cd /usr/bin/VPlanner' then type './VPlanner'. What happens?

Inspiration Classic

Dolphin

If you have everything in /usr/bin/VPlanner, open a terminal, type 'cd /usr/bin/VPlanner' then type './VPlanner'. What happens?
    ./VPlanner: symbol lookup error: ./VPlanner: undefined symbol: initPAnsiStrings

rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBACraig  View Original Post
    OK, I'm guessing your .so files are in the wrong place. In that same directory, type 'ls', you should see 5 files, including libborqt-6.9.0-qt2.3.so and libborqt-6.9.0-qt2.3.so. Are they both there?

Inspiration Classic

Dolphin

Yes. As is my license file...

rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Just for kicks, have you tried putting them in the lib dir? From the same /usr/bin/VPlanner dir, try again the "sudo mv lib*.so /usr/lib/", then try running "./VPlanner" again. I'm able to recreate your exact error if I delete the .so files, putting them back in /usr/lib fixes the problem for me.

Inspiration Classic

Dolphin

Just for kicks, have you tried putting them in the lib dir? From the same /usr/bin/VPlanner dir, try again the "sudo mv lib*.so /usr/lib/", then try running "./VPlanner" again. I'm able to recreate your exact error if I delete the .so files, putting them back in /usr/lib fixes the problem for me.
    Nope...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast