+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu v12.04 LTS Installation

RBW Member SCUBACraig is an unknown quantity at this point SCUBACraig's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Dolphin

Ubuntu v12.04 LTS Installation

Can anyone help with an install on Ubuntu v12.04 LTS distro? I don't have root with Ubuntu by default so I followed the non-root install instructions but it didn't work where it did work on v10.x and v11.x.

Thanks!

Steve Rich stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm's Avatar
    rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Re: Ubuntu v12.04 LTS Installation

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBACraig  View Original Post
    Can anyone help with an install on Ubuntu v12.04 LTS distro? I don't have root with Ubuntu by default so I followed the non-root install instructions but it didn't work where it did work on v10.x and v11.x.

Thanks!
    Why don't you have root? Unless it's specifically disabled, open up a terminal, cd over to your download dir,
    type 'tar -xvf v-planner_3.84.1.tar.gz',
    then 'sudo mv lib*.so /usr/lib/',
    then 'sudo mkdir /usr/local/VPlanner'
    then 'sudo mv VPlanner /usr/local/VPlanner/'
    Either make a link to the desktop or cd over to /usr/local/VPlanner and run './VPlanner'
    Works for me...
    Last edited by stunsm; 13th May 2012 at 03:36. Reason: Formatting

Inspiration Classic

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by stunsm  View Original Post
    Why don't you have root? Unless it's specifically disabled, open up a terminal, cd over to your download dir,
    type 'tar -xvf v-planner_3.84.1.tar.gz',
    then 'sudo mv lib*.so /usr/lib/',
    then 'sudo mkdir /usr/local/VPlanner'
    then 'sudo mv VPlanner /usr/local/VPlanner/'
    Either make a link to the desktop or cd over to /usr/local/VPlanner and run './VPlanner'
    Works for me...
    A user profile with root privileges is specifically disabled with all Ubuntu distros.

Thanks for the instructions, but it still won't work. I have tried both root (sudo) and non-root instructions provided with VPlanner, your instructions and then tried again with the provided instructions root (sudo) and non-root, just in case. No luck.

Other suggestions?

RBW Member bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer's Avatar
    rEvo

Just a guess but look at the apparmor settings. Sometimes the security settings will preclude things they shouldn't. You can disable apparmor or put it in complain mode. If there is an issue you should met a message.

Inspiration Classic

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by bowzer  View Original Post
    Just a guess but look at the apparmor settings. Sometimes the security settings will preclude things they shouldn't. You can disable apparmor or put it in complain mode. If there is an issue you should met a message.
    Okay. Reading about apparmor now, but damn... Anything specific I am looking for or at? I am supposed to be looking at /etc/apparmor.d ....correct?

RBW Member bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer's Avatar
    rEvo

Haven't played with it in a while. I believe that is where the configs are and it is a little complex, especially as Ubuntu likes to break up the config into numerous files.

If memory servers look at putting it in complain mode, or kill the apparmor deamon (I am home now and don't have a Ubunti system here with apparmor to check)

To kill, try = sudo kill -TERM "process id(s) of apparmor daemon"
    If that fails substitute -9 for -TERM
    anotherway is to move the apparmor file from /etc/init.d to another directory and reboot.

If it installs and runs after this you have your culpret.

Steve Rich stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm's Avatar
    rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

A user profile with root privileges is specifically disabled with all Ubuntu distros.

Thanks for the instructions, but it still won't work. I have tried both root (sudo) and non-root instructions provided with VPlanner, your instructions and then tried again with the provided instructions root (sudo) and non-root, just in case. No luck.

Other suggestions?
    If you need root access, from a terminal type 'sudo passwd', that should allow you to input a password for root, then you can 'su' to elevate to root. What specific errors are you getting? I'm running 12.04 but not running apparmor, so I won't be much help there.

rEvo

or you can do "sudo su" which will log you in as root.

Inspiration Classic

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by stunsm  View Original Post
    If you need root access, from a terminal type 'sudo passwd', that should allow you to input a password for root, then you can 'su' to elevate to root. What specific errors are you getting? I'm running 12.04 but not running apparmor, so I won't be much help there.
    Would going your instructions or the canned root instructions using sudo vs sudo->su be any different?

How did you kill apparmor in the first place or did you customize the install up front?

rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Would going your instructions or the canned root instructions using sudo vs sudo->su be any different?

How did you kill apparmor in the first place or did you customize the install up front?
    I've had a few situations where I continued to get "permission denied" with just sudo, but was able to get through with su. Honestly this is the first I've heard of apparmor, I must have customized when I installed 10.04 and it carried over with the update.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast