+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gopro lighting

gopro lighting

Aloha,
    I've been using my gopro with a couple hand torches on my helmet for a while and have taken it past 400ft.
    I would like to figure out a better light system and would appreciate any advice and pics of your functional set up.
    I'll include some links to some of my video.
    thanks

you can see the light problem, this is at 300ft.

this is shallow and turned out fine
    Last edited by onohunter; 11th May 2012 at 01:16. Reason: clean up

Richard Huntrods sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

Re: gopro lighting

The local dive store here in Nanaimo (NDO) sells the gopro with various options. One package is the gopro, tray, loc-line and the Sola 1200 light.

I use a different camera system (Canon A570 in Ikelite housing) but bought the Sola 1200 because I do a lot of video as well as photos.

I absolutely love the Sola 1200 - so much that it's my only dive light on most 'critter photo' dives. The tight beam is great for looking and signalling, and the wide video beam is awesome for video and even close-up still shots. With 3 power settings you can use low power most of the time and just up the power as needed. Low power gives you something like two hours battery life.

Latest octopus video (Vancouver Island) shot with this rig:

Cheers,

-Richard

thanks
    have you tried it at depth or night
    ?

Richard Huntrods sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

Our vis right now is almost as bad as night, but I have done night dives with both camera and light. Very nice.

As for depth, camera has been to 200 in housing, but the light is too new to have been very deep yet. I'm told it's good to 200 as well. I certainly would not hesitate to take it with me.

-R

thanks
    Ill look into it

David Carden cardysnr is on a distinguished road cardysnr is on a distinguished road cardysnr's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Meg 2.7SW, AP Vision+, JJ-CCR

Guys,

What mounting methods do you use when diving with the GoPro ?

Cheers,

David.

Titan CCR Diver Michigandiver will become famous soon enough Michigandiver will become famous soon enough Michigandiver will become famous soon enough Michigandiver's Avatar
    Titan eCCR

Quote Originally Posted by onohunter  View Original Post
    Aloha,
    I've been using my gopro with a couple hand torches on my helmet for a while and have taken it past 400ft.
    Did you do 400ft with the stock housing or was this an aftermarket housing for the GoPro? I am considering taking mine to 300ft in the stock housing, but am a little reluctant with a rating of 185ft.

Supporting Member ml_guy is on a distinguished road ml_guy is on a distinguished road ml_guy's Avatar
    Revo Micro 3

Revo Mini 3

Quote Originally Posted by Michigandiver  View Original Post
    Did you do 400ft with the stock housing or was this an aftermarket housing for the GoPro? I am considering taking mine to 300ft in the stock housing, but am a little reluctant with a rating of 185ft.
    That might be a bit ambitious....I imploded an EyeofMine GoPro housing at 200' - it was supposedly rated for 220...

RBW Master Plumber lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Meg,Prizm,RB80,LARV,MK15,HomeB

Quote Originally Posted by Michigandiver  View Original Post
    This will do the job just fine. Rated to 500ft. Each housing is actually tested to 500ft.
    Hump - Golem GoPro Camera Housing with port for LCD back
    or
    Slim - Golem GoPro Camera Housing with compact back

Titan CCR Diver Michigandiver will become famous soon enough Michigandiver will become famous soon enough Michigandiver will become famous soon enough Michigandiver's Avatar
    Titan eCCR

Quote Originally Posted by ml_guy  View Original Post
    That might be a bit ambitious....I imploded an EyeofMine GoPro housing at 200' - it was supposedly rated for 220...
    Just a followup. I took the stock GoPro dive housing to 200ft on a couple dives. However at 180 feet (which was very consistent at 180ft) it became useless as the buttons all depressed and was unable to get it out of the setup mode. Once I got above 180ft the buttons started to function again. Kinda sucks as I was really hoping to get video of the wreck at 300 that I was on this past weekend. Oh well, guess I might have to invest in the Golem housing at some point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast