+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Dive Rite 10WHID MR11 to LED upgrade

RBW Member wilko7 is an unknown quantity at this point wilko7's Avatar
    Sentinel Expedition

Re: Dive Rite 10WHID MR11 to LED upgrade

Not ideal because they are in america, but here is a website where you can get the orings from,
    Canister Light Component Parts - Dive Gear Express
    Scroll down on the linked page and near the bottom there is an oring for a H1 lens, I think this is what you are looking for

RBW Member El_Fuerte is an unknown quantity at this point El_Fuerte's Avatar
    Megalodon

Hi guys

Just a quick question: is the DR head made of metal or plastic?

I'm thinkink of converting my old Halcyon but I'm afraid of the good insulation provided by the Delrin head...

Does anyone ever tried this before with a "plastic" head?

Thx for your comments
    Last edited by El_Fuerte; 15th May 2012 at 08:56.

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

Salut Jean-Paul,

The DR head is a metal one and I don't think that plastic could be used because of heat transfer between the cooler and the head.

RBW Member JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT's Avatar
    rEvo III

Quote Originally Posted by wilko7  View Original Post
    Dont forget Jacob to wire in the switch! I advise wiring it into system between the battery and the driver on the positive wire! This will cut power to the driver and prevent the driver from draining the power from your battery! I also advise seeing if you could possibly get away with a larger heat sink. The one you are using at the moment looks a little small, unless you could possibly connect it to the outside casing

Wilko
    The heatsink is actually twice that size as for some reason it consists of two alu pieces like the one on the picture. besides it fits so tight into the head that it is almost impossible to get out.. so not too worried about that... guess time will tell.

With regard to cutting into the alu plate I can see the leads (luckily) so will avoid them ... hopefully

Should be able to wire it up tonight, will let you know how it goes
    -Jacob
    Last edited by JacobT; 15th May 2012 at 09:25.

RBW Member El_Fuerte is an unknown quantity at this point El_Fuerte's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane  View Original Post
    Salut Jean-Paul,

The DR head is a metal one and I don't think that plastic could be used because of heat transfer between the cooler and the head.
    That's why I've waited so long to upgrade it...

Maybe I should contact a friend of mine, living in Nantes... just to see if Segytec wants to get rid of an old MR11 head

RBW Member JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT's Avatar
    rEvo III

So got the bits soldered together:

Due to the slight difference between the original LED and the new I had to cut down the legs on the optics for them to fit

Result so far:

Seems rather bright! (though not terribly focused )

Next step will be to make sure the torch stays watertight .. working on a "local" O-ring supplier .....

-Jacob

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

Thx, for prototyping, I just ordered my parts this morning. BTW LED-TECH.de does now have the cute-3 19° optics on stock.

RBW Member wilko7 is an unknown quantity at this point wilko7's Avatar
    Sentinel Expedition

Just double check if the LED lenses are on placed over the LED's as a tiny mis placement will cause a massive alteration in light focus. I have also found an alternative to using the lense idea, I have sourced some led's with a reflector. I have had it imported from china so i can finish my homemade torch off! If you could possibly see if a 55mm diameter circle can fit into the head I will send you one of these LED modules at the price i got for from china (very cheap at like 22usd. If you want i can upload pics of it?

rEvo III

@Com1: No problem. I'll try out the torch with the optics I have under water first to see what it is like. Then I'll decide if I need to get tighter optics But first I need to make sure the bloody thing is watertight

@Wilko7: Thanks for the offer, but 55mm is too wide for the torch head unfortunately. I'll have a closer look at the alignment of the LEDs and the optics, but inherently it looks pretty good.

-Jacob

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

Just soldered my parts together.
    Result is awesome, bright as hell, beam is around double size compared to the original HID setup and not that "focused".
    Next step is the heatsink, just ordered a 35mm and a 36mm diameter peace of aluminum. Hopefully one will fit as it is, otherwise I will grind it to make it fit
    In-water test will follow

Jacob: I found a bit of water in my head, did you find a source for the O-Ring?

Cheers - Scotty

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast