+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Dive Rite 10WHID MR11 to LED upgrade

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

Re: Dive Rite 10WHID MR11 to LED upgrade

Thx for checking, Not yet decided between 1.5A & 2.8A, 2.8A would be prefered, but not sure how much time I will get with it from my 4500mAh battery pack.
    Regarding the 19° beam I think thatīs the tightest optic yo can get for this LEDs.

Cheers, Scotty

RBW Member steve6690 has a spectacular aura about steve6690 has a spectacular aura about steve6690 has a spectacular aura about steve6690 has a spectacular aura about steve6690 has a spectacular aura about steve6690's Avatar
    AP Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by com1  View Original Post
    Thx for checking, Not yet decided between 1.5A & 2.8A, 2.8A would be prefered, but not sure how much time I will get with it from my 4500mAh battery pack.
    Regarding the 19° beam I think thatīs the tightest optic yo can get for this LEDs.

Cheers, Scotty
    You can work it out fairly easily, and accurately enough for our purposes from the datasheet.

http://www.led-tech.de/produkt-pdf/cree/XLampXM-L.pdf

700ma current should relate to a forward voltage of 2.9v. Series wired so add the voltages
    2.9 x 3 = 8.7v

8.7v x 700ma = 6.1 watts

The driver is going to consume a bit so lets call it 7 watts in total.

You battery is 4500mah and we'll say that's at 12 volts nominal. So,

4.5A x 12 = 54 watts it will deliver for 1 hour till it's discharged. You are only drawing 7 watts though, so :

54/7= 7.7 hours.

At 700ma then, you should get at least 7 hours burntime.

At 3A the forward voltage increases to 3.35v per led so 10.05v total forward voltage at 3A which equals 30.15 watts, call it 31 watts including the driver.

54/31 = 1.75 hours runtime so call it 1.5 minimum.

So at 700 ma : 7-8 hours burntime, at 3A : 1.5 hrs or so.

In practice there's not much point in complicating the sums beyond what's above. It gives you a rough start point but you would do a burntime test anyway.

RBW Member JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT's Avatar
    rEvo III

Quote Originally Posted by com1  View Original Post
    So finally it will be a DIY project.
    Due to I want to avoid meeting the guys from the customs office I tried to find similar parts in Germany/Europe.
    Will this stuff fit together:

Driver
    lense
    PoweLED
    HeatSink (custom made)

Just bought the LED and Driver linked above and will see if it doesn't fit in my MR11... at least I think I ordered it.. my German is ... well not that great

The MR11 I have gotten my hands on is already an LED model, though it is about as bright as a small candle, I'm hoping the lens that is already in it will fit with the new 3x cree .... time will tell.
    -Jacob

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by JacobT  View Original Post
    Just bought the LED and Driver linked above and will see if it doesn't fit in my MR11... at least I think I ordered it.. my German is ... well not that great

The MR11 I have gotten my hands on is already an LED model, though it is about as bright as a small candle, I'm hoping the lens that is already in it will fit with the new 3x cree .... time will tell.
    -Jacob
    The good news is that you can still use the same heat sink. I recently did an LED -LED upgrade and the original heat sink was adequate for a 10w LED. I'd even say adequate for much higher if limited to in water use.

RBW Member killey is an unknown quantity at this point killey's Avatar
    rEvo III

Evolution / Inspiration

I'm very interested in seeing the final parts list and pics of this project. I too have a mr11 from dive rite that I'd love to upgrade to high output led and still reuse the existing case/heat sink.

RBW Member JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT's Avatar
    rEvo III

Quote Originally Posted by killey  View Original Post
    I'm very interested in seeing the final parts list and pics of this project. I too have a mr11 from dive rite that I'd love to upgrade to high output led and still reuse the existing case/heat sink.
    Well if the German postman is as efficient as the site was (and I managed to order the right things despite my lacking German) I think I should have the components today or tomorrow.. will make sure to take some images and post the results.
    -Jacob

RBW Member wilko7 is an unknown quantity at this point wilko7's Avatar
    Sentinel Expedition

Let me know how the project goes! Want to see if my info is half useful!

rEvo III

Well short update, not much (if any) work done, but I just can't wonder how much "air" is shipped around the world.

That's a big box for one small LED.

Anyway, the LED is the right size and importantly the optics fit

The driver is tiny!! not looking forward having to solder wires on to it :-s

.. and I'll need to cut a bit into the LED alu plate to get my wires routed up the "channel" on the side of the heatsink

But biggest issue right now is that the torch is taking on water, looks like it's leaking in around the front glass 0-ring. So trying to find a place where I can get a new o-ring or two to see if that fixes the water problem...

Anyway, will probably wire up the LED at some point this week, I'll let you know how that works

-Jacob

Sentinel Expedition

Dont forget Jacob to wire in the switch! I advise wiring it into system between the battery and the driver on the positive wire! This will cut power to the driver and prevent the driver from draining the power from your battery! I also advise seeing if you could possibly get away with a larger heat sink. The one you are using at the moment looks a little small, unless you could possibly connect it to the outside casing

Wilko

Sentinel Expedition

Just re-read what you just wrote. BECAREFUL when cutting into the LED ali plate. There is a tiny network of connections on the board that join the LED's together, they are either visible on the surface or burried within the board. Cutting one of the connections will result in replacement of the LED. See if you can see the connections on the surface. If you take out the little section of the LED ali board just above the channel with the Positive and Negative signs on you should be ok

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast