+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Dive Rite 10WHID MR11 to LED upgrade

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

Dive Rite 10WHID MR11 to LED upgrade

Is there any source in Europe?
    Looking for ~1400 lumen +.
    Hoping to find a source selling a complete upgrade kit.

Cheers - Scotty

RBW Member wilko7 is an unknown quantity at this point wilko7's Avatar
    Sentinel Expedition

Re: Dive Rite 10WHID MR11 to LED upgrade

you could most likely do it yourself! From what i researched they dont do upgrade kits often as they want you to buy a whole new torch and hence they make more money. I have made my own scuba torch and tested down to 150m and is roughly 2400 lumens. What you need to do is have a look at the battery pack as that effects which led you have to use. Doing it yourself sounds alot harder than it is. Measure the internal space of the head to determine restrictions and then its simply looking on led producer websites to find an led, if you give me some measurements i could have a quick look and give you an idea. Does the torch have a reflector or a polycarbonate lense?

Paul Daniels eXile is on a distinguished road eXile is on a distinguished road eXile's Avatar
    Davis Station, Antarctica(Usually Jervis Bay, Australia)
    Ouroboros #107

Classic Inspo, Ray, Homebuild

I have done the upgrade myself using 3 cree xml leds. This is a common mod and most people have done it but you do require a lathe or someone who can machine up a heatsink for you. I got my leds and driver here in Australia from cutter electronics. They are rated at 1000lm each led so theoretically they should do 3000lm when driven at 3amps but realistically taking into account losses etc prob more like 2500lm or so. It is easy to mod and I even changed my battery pack and made a lithium-ion pack for it. Now I get about 3hours at full power. Might get a bit more but i get too bored waiting for the low volatge dropout protection to kick in so I just say it can do 3hours. Very good upgrade to the 10w HID as it is very dim but its a nice compact unit to dive.

Paul

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Send the head to me and I will do it. Done heaps of them and shipping does not cost all that much.
    Dive LIghts By Packhorse

As other have said you can DIY. But you really need a lathe to machine up the heat sink. Especially if using 3x XML LED's.

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    Send the head to me and I will do it. Done heaps of them and shipping does not cost all that much.
    Dive LIghts By Packhorse

As other have said you can DIY. But you really need a lathe to machine up the heat sink. Especially if using 3x XML LED's.
    Can you just send the parts to me?

inspiration vision

@wilko7
    @eXile

I donīt know how to use a lathe, but I can go a local shop and they will do the metal work for me.

I do have use a NIMH battery pack (10 cells), so the voltage is ~12V.
    Dimensions inside are 35,6mm diameter and 46mm length. And I do have a reflector.
    Really appreciate your help, seems like this time my DIY project will work first time and I donīt have to order parts twice :)

Cheers - Scotty

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar
    I can highly recommend Packhorse's work. I had mine done last year and been very happy with it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

All The Gear, No Idea windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    Dive LIghts By Packhorse

What kind of brightness can you get from the mr11 if converted to LEDs? I think the bulb has just gone on mine so it might be a prudent move.

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Quote Originally Posted by com1  View Original Post
    Is there any source in Europe?
    Looking for ~1400 lumen +.
    Hoping to find a source selling a complete upgrade kit.
    Cheers - Scotty
    Scotty,
    This is the result of a Google search. I don't know if it's any good but it's everything you asked for: EU, drop in kit and up to 1400 lumen.
    Here is the link: sump donkey
    Hope this helps.
    Best
    Philippe

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by windymiller  View Original Post
    What kind of brightness can you get from the mr11 if converted to LEDs? I think the bulb has just gone on mine so it might be a prudent move.
    You are limited by the amount of space to fit the LED's, the power to drive them and the ability to get the heat from the LED's to the water.
    8000+ lumen is possible... just not practical.

Most 10w HID conversions I do these days use the Cree XML "10 watt" LED.
    Thats 1000-1300 lumen depending on specs/marketing, for the same run time as your old 450 lumen HID with none of that turn on turn off delay or fragility.
    The real question is what optics you prefer. Either a standard reflector that gives a medium sized centre beam with some side spill or use an aspheric lens that gives you a very intense medium sized centre beam with no side spill.

Most go with the aspheric. Its great for signalling, murky conditions and peering into holes. Maybe not so great for night dives or lighting up whole rooms in wrecks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast