+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Porex in your scrubber- does size matter?

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

Porex in your scrubber- does size matter?

I've finally found a Porex supplier and found that it comes in 3 grades: Fine, Medium and Coarse - these all reference a micron rating. The Medium looks a match for the Porex discs in a MK 15 but it seems the thickness is a little harder to match.

Porex is supplied in 1/16 inch thick(.0625 inch) or 1/8 inch (.125 inch thick)
    Biomarine's Porex is 3/32 of an inch thick. (apx .09 inch thick)

It would seem the one I need was a special production (big surprise). The 1/16 is too thin and flexible. I'm ruling it out.

Does anyone have a MK15.5 they could measure the porex on and give me a thickness?

Has anyone used the 1/8? Does it affect gasflow or is it just a stiffer product with the same flow characteristics ?

Cheers,
    Sandy

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: Porex in your scrubber- does size matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy  View Original Post
    I've finally found a Porex supplier and found that it comes in 3 grades: Fine, Medium and Coarse - these all reference a micron rating. The Medium looks a match for the Porex discs in a MK 15 but it seems the thickness is a little harder to match.

Porex is supplied in 1/16 inch thick(.0625 inch) or 1/8 inch (.125 inch thick)
    Biomarine's Porex is 3/32 of an inch thick. (apx .09 inch thick)

It would seem the one I need was a special production (big surprise). The 1/16 is too thin and flexible. I'm ruling it out.

Does anyone have a MK15.5 they could measure the porex on and give me a thickness?

Has anyone used the 1/8? Does it affect gasflow or is it just a stiffer product with the same flow characteristics ?

Cheers,
    Sandy

it will effect flow - but how much/significant would need to be determined.

if you have no choice to go thicker maybe you can offset this by going coarser at same time? have you tried Colin? he may have some

but 1/8" does sound awfully thick!.....i think id much rather go 1/16....
    Last edited by Drmike; 26th April 2012 at 02:18.

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

I measured the porex on mine, and I basically get 0.09" (0.0886").

digital nomad GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM's Avatar
    Hyperion pSCR

IDA71, HomeBuilts, Ray, RGU/FM

I've finally found a Porex supplier and found that it comes in 3 grades: Fine, Medium and Coarse - these all reference a micron rating.
    Hi Sandy, is it possible to share the full product description and/or Porex part numbers? I am sure many people are interested

/GKAM

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

but 1/8" does sound awfully thick!.....i think id much rather go 1/16....[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean but the 1/16 is soft and floppy. It's not stiff enough to hold the scrubber media up off the raised ribs on the bottom of the scrubber. The porex will press directly on the stainless blocking it off and your only airflow will be the direct flow through the holes in the stainless. ...

I'll contact the tech department at porex and see if they have flow rate data of some sort.

Sandy

Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

Quote Originally Posted by cys  View Original Post
    I measured the porex on mine, and I basically get 0.09" (0.0886").
    Same as me. Nice. At least they're consistent. When I mentioned to the sales contact that the porex fatigues and cracks over time they seemed to suggest it was a service item.

Sandy
    Last edited by Sandy; 26th April 2012 at 05:28. Reason: poor sentance structure. Good english speaking me.

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

There does seem to be some 0.095 Porex sheet available from at least some suppliers. The stuff I saw is 70 microns.

I picked up spare Porex from Colkan a few years back, so I have filters on hand to drop into the ultimate mk15 scrubber.

Same as me. Nice. At least they're consistent. When I mentioned to the sales contact that the porex fatigues and cracks over time they seemed to suggest it was a service item.

Sandy

Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

Hey Cys,
    What is the diameter of your 15.5 scrubber? (ie. what size cut of Porex would a guy need to trim a new circle for a 15.5)

Porex international was very helpful in sending out samples but they were sure they did not have the .090 size... The supplier they sent me on to has it in stock and is getting me pricing. Go figure.

Sandy

MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Hi Sandy,

I get about 11.5" diameter on the 15.5 porex, and about 11.25" diameter on the spare 15 porex from Colkan.

Chris

Hey Cys,
    What is the diameter of your 15.5 scrubber? (ie. what size cut of Porex would a guy need to trim a new circle for a 15.5)

Porex international was very helpful in sending out samples but they were sure they did not have the .090 size... The supplier they sent me on to has it in stock and is getting me pricing. Go figure.

Sandy

Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

Thanks man,

I have pricing for a full 44" x 42" sheet of porex but its ex-e-spensive. I'll start a new thread and see if there is any interest in sharing out a sheet.

Sandy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast