+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kirby

RBW Member Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure's Avatar
    Draeger Dolphin (modified)

Re: MK 48 super mask

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    bare in mind if you use the OC pod and OC internal mouth-bite with your dsv the wob will be crap.

i also found the dsv would be too floppy in the oc pod and needed "fixing" in place and a custom large bore mouth-bite made up to get a reasonable wob.
    Interesting. Sounds like you had a pretty bad experience with it.

I have yet to notice bad WOB with the Golem Gear Shrimp and OC pod combo, but it does flop downward for me when I'm out of the water. Underwater, I don't have a problem with it.

The US Navy apparently got pretty good results in their testing of the mask and pods. They've standardized on the OC pod with MK-16 and Viper DSVs.

I guess the saying "your mileage may vary" applies.
    Attached Images

Re: Kirby

Here's another pic

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

I dove the prototype mask for the new one you just got... Honestly it flopped arround with the loop way to much for me and the loop was simply to far away.

I exspected the mask offset the the weight of the loop much better than it did.

I spent about 3 hours under water with it on my MEG, then abandonded it....

that prototype is now religated to OC duty only.

Also if you have any of the brass threaded incerts that are used for mounting points grease them up to protect them....
    Monkey Diver Inc.
    Monkey Diver Travel Inc.
    http://www.monkeydiver.com

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: MK 48 super mask

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.McClure  View Original Post
    Interesting. Sounds like you had a pretty bad experience with it.
    some good some bad. I was pretty much the only civilian with the NATO pod. a week after they sold it to me they tried to get it back off me....which was strange. anyway i started fitting oc pods/dsv combos due to the crap wob from the nato OC but quickly realised the oc mouthbite thingy was useless for Rebreather

I have yet to notice bad WOB with the Golem Gear Shrimp and OC pod combo, but it does flop downward for me when I'm out of the water. Underwater, I don't have a problem with it.
    the issue is not the OC 2nd stage WOB (although the NATO pod one was crap. the issue as i stated is if people use the long corrugated white plastic OC internal mouthbite that comes with the oc pods. Its not designed for Rebreather use. Its ID is far too small.

The US Navy apparently got pretty good results in their testing of the mask and pods. They've standardized on the OC pod with MK-16 and Viper DSVs.
    so? are they using the OC internal mouth-bite? - I very much doubt it. Do you have a pic of the inside? Are they using the small oc bite?

I guess the saying "your mileage may vary" applies.
    No. Physics is physics.
    Flow resistance (wob) is a function of cross sectional area and for the OC mouthbite its too long and too small an area - it will produce a significant pressure drop

Bare in mind humans are useless at detecting anything but very large changes in wob, so subjective evaluation is meaningless.

We evaluated many designs (of internal mouthbites) and frames to support the dsv on the OC pod at the end of the day we got there but it was a lot of effort

sorry dont mean to slag off your baby. im just pointing out that physics dictates a higher wob with a small cross section area internal mouthbite.

Take a look at the mouthbite on the NATO pod it is much bigger, ridgid and shorter....for a good reason.

Some old pics of me using the NATO pod on my Mk15.5 (with my DIY hud version 1 and 2 LOL)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Drmike; 26th April 2012 at 01:48.

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

My take on it having used the new version of the mask with my CCR - it is a big improvement on the previous version - the field of vision is much better, the ability to pinch the nose to equalise is much better, and using a five point head harness spider instead of the old version is much better.

As for the WOB - to me the limiting factor for WOB on anything that is a half decent design is always going to be the gap between your top and bottom teeth - I don't think that too many of us swim around underwater with our mouths wide open, so the gap between the top and bottom rows of teeth is going to have a smaller cross section than that of the OC mouthpiece that is fitted in the pod of one of these masks.

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar

One thing I forgot to mention - the problem with the pod being too far away that has been mentioned is easily fixed - the pod itself has a bellows design so a thin loop of bungee cord around the DSV and the two clip parts where the pad attaches to the mask solve that problem very easily.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

So would you recommend the KM with the GG schrimp BOV or do you prefer a normal DSV?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSeaDiver  View Original Post
    One thing I forgot to mention - the problem with the pod being too far away that has been mentioned is easily fixed - the pod itself has a bellows design so a thin loop of bungee cord around the DSV and the two clip parts where the pad attaches to the mask solve that problem very easily.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.358019,3.307447
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD  View Original Post
    So would you recommend the KM with the GG schrimp BOV or do you prefer a normal DSV?
    I dive a Poseidon Discovery and it comes with it's own BOV - I would always recommend using it with a BOV so if the GG fits then that would be the choice.

RBW Member leptonyx is an unknown quantity at this point leptonyx's Avatar

Folks planning to use this mask in cold waters and with drysuit hoods should be aware that unless they use very thin hoods (w/ latex face seal), they will have to pull back the neoprene face seal of the hood sufficiently to allow the mask's face seal to fit tightly to their bare skin. In my case, that turned out to be relatively impractical and uncomfortable, as my drysuit hoods had to be folded / pulled back quite a bit, especially under the chin, for the mask to fit properly. If you fit the upper mask under the hood's face seal, and the lower mask / pod over the hood's seal you will - quite predictably - get an imperfect seal around the pod.

Also, the OTS comms unit that I had installed (required for under-ice diving) made for a less comfortable fit and less perfect seal, as the comms unit inserts through a pod that sits right underneath the lower left / alternatively lower right face seal's corner in the mask.

I really liked the mask at first, but for my area of use (polar waters and under-ice diving) it did not fit as well as I had hoped, so I will switch back to the Atmosphere and Panorama masks again.

RBW Member broady has a spectacular aura about broady has a spectacular aura about broady has a spectacular aura about broady has a spectacular aura about broady has a spectacular aura about broady has a spectacular aura about broady's Avatar

Just seen this thread.

I've been diving the M48 with OC pod for 3 years with a GG shrimp bov and also the new Mod1 for 12 months.

As has been said above, all you need to do is use thin bungee loops around the pod hooks to pull the concertina of the OC pod closer to the mask. In this way you can use the shortened mouthbite which actually has a larger cross section than a standard Apeks mouthbite and will not affect wob. If you use the long mouthbite it can become easily bent as it is soft silicone and this will have a large effect on wob. The loop also doesn't flop around with the bungee cords.

As far as mask comparisons between the KM48 and Mod1 derivative I would agree with the improved visibility and nose clearing of the newer version. However it is a larger mask, heavier and not as good looking in my opinion. The strap system is more robust but not quite as slick to use as the original version.

The nose pocket in the original KM48 was obviously modelled on someone with a very peculiar nose! My technique is to use a forefinger and middle finger and push them straight into towards the nose. The new Mod1 mask is a doddle to use in the traditional nose pinching manner.

My personal preference but the KM masks offer better functionality than the Panorama as the pod can be removed without affecting loss of vision and any bailout regulator can be shoved in the mouth. Much easier IMHO when stress is high despite how much you may practice with 'mask off' drills is benign conditions. Your mileage may vary.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast