+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kirby

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

Re: MK 48 super mask

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.McClure  View Original Post
    Interesting. They didn't mention this to me when I asked about it. The rep I spoke with said they were the same. I just looked back at my invoice for the original M-48, and the extra pod was the same part number as they are selling today: 805-015. I found no Mod-1-specific pod options on their price list. I guess I'll be calling them tomorrow to figure it out.
    There isn't much info out there yet - but contact Floyd Dunn at Kirby Morgan as I got the information about the pod and hook from him - Floyd@kirbymorgan.com

RBW Member Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure's Avatar
    Draeger Dolphin (modified)

Quote Originally Posted by RedSeaDiver  View Original Post
    There isn't much info out there yet - but contact Floyd Dunn at Kirby Morgan as I got the information about the pod and hook from him - Floyd@kirbymorgan.com
    I talked to Floyd @ Kirby Morgan.

The M-48 Mod 1 mask was initially only available to the military (known as the "Combat Diver Full-Fade Mask" or "CDFFM"), and there wasn't much information available on it to the general public. Since KM made it available to the public last month, they've been scrambling to get documentation prepared, delivered to their dealers, and update their web site. That has caused some confusion, which should be resolved in the next few weeks as more documentation becomes available.

Based on my conversation with Floyd, here's the deal:

1. Older Supermask pods had a hook with a 25 degree angle, which made them a little harder to attach to the mask frame. Pods manufactured in the last few years have a hook that has a 35 degree angle, which is more "open", and is more easily hooked onto the mask frame.

2. Pods with either hook will work with both the original M-48 Supermask, and the M-48 Mod 1. There is no Mod 1-specific pod. If you have an older pod, you don't need to buy a new one to work with the M-48 Mod 1 mask.

3. If you have an older pod, and would like to upgrade it with the newer hook, order KM part number #820-110. Remove three screws, swap the hook, and put the screws back in. Problem solved.

In the photos below, you'll see the 35-degree hook, and the location of the screws that attach it to the pod.

Hope this helps,

Scott
    Attached Images

RBW Member Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure's Avatar

I just received my M-48 Mod 1 mask today. It took only a week, which was a surprise as I was told it would probably take 4 weeks.

It showed up in a dramatic black box. The mask itself is bigger than I expected. Very solid. It feels like a piece of military hardware. It comes with a custom mask bag, with two mesh ports to allow the mask to dry, even when stored inside. The 5-point harness is nice, though it doesn't have the single quick-release the original M-48 had. It's still pretty easy to get out of.

My pods fit fine, as I was told they would. It feels more solid, and rugged than the original M-48. It seems to get a better seal on the face, without having to be as tight. Visibility is definitely better than the original. I can tell I'm going to need to spend a little time with the nose pinching system. Clever, but feels like it will take getting used to.

I've attached pictures showing the new mask, accessories, and the M-48 Mod 1 next to my original M-48 for size comparison. I've also attached a picture of the Mod 1 with my pod with the Shrimp BOV installed, and a shot of the inside of the mask, showing the nose pinching device.

I haven't taken it for a dive yet - hopefully very soon!
    Attached Images

I was Turbine j.dap57 is an unknown quantity at this point j.dap57's Avatar
    YBOD

Is the mask still for sale ?

RBW Member Pete is an unknown quantity at this point Pete's Avatar

Go to the NEW Kirby Morgan web site. There is a good shot of it there. I can send along more shots if requested.
    Thanks,
    Pete

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

bare in mind if you use the OC pod and OC internal mouth-bite with your dsv the wob will be crap.

i also found the dsv would be too floppy in the oc pod and needed "fixing" in place and a custom large bore mouth-bite made up to get a reasonable wob.

the nato pod was ok but the dsv seals were a weak spot (had a nasty flood on my mk15.5 wayback in Ginny once) and the wob wasnt good (small 2nd stage)

at the end of the day lot of messing around i found the Nova to be a far better mask (lower WOB, more safety options, side regs)

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by divelermentov  View Original Post
    How much does it retail for excluding the pod as i take it you can use for old pod ?

cheers
    christian
    Looking at the mask it looks like a tank; the nova is a porsche by comparison. . Get the Nova is my suggestion.

RBW Member kaf is an unknown quantity at this point kaf's Avatar
    rEvoII, IP5

Quote Originally Posted by Belgium137  View Original Post
    Could you please post a pic of this setup?
    +1
    would be great ! :)

Quote Originally Posted by kaf  View Original Post
    +1
    would be great ! :)
    I did on the first page of this thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast