+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Kirby

RBW Member ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver's Avatar

Re: Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by broady  View Original Post
    Just seen this thread.

I've been diving the M48 with OC pod for 3 years with a GG shrimp bov and also the new Mod1 for 12 months.

As has been said above, all you need to do is use thin bungee loops around the pod hooks to pull the concertina of the OC pod closer to the mask. In this way you can use the shortened mouthbite which actually has a larger cross section than a standard Apeks mouthbite and will not affect wob. If you use the long mouthbite it can become easily bent as it is soft silicone and this will have a large effect on wob. The loop also doesn't flop around with the bungee cords.

As far as mask comparisons between the KM48 and Mod1 derivative I would agree with the improved visibility and nose clearing of the newer version. However it is a larger mask, heavier and not as good looking in my opinion. The strap system is more robust but not quite as slick to use as the original version.

The nose pocket in the original KM48 was obviously modelled on someone with a very peculiar nose! My technique is to use a forefinger and middle finger and push them straight into towards the nose. The new Mod1 mask is a doddle to use in the traditional nose pinching manner.

My personal preference but the KM masks offer better functionality than the Panorama as the pod can be removed without affecting loss of vision and any bailout regulator can be shoved in the mouth. Much easier IMHO when stress is high despite how much you may practice with 'mask off' drills is benign conditions. Your mileage may vary.
    Very interesting post. Quick question: Does the shortened mouth bite come with either of the masks or is it a separate order?
    I also may prefer the original Kirby. I see that compared to older versions the standard M48 has a clear frame not a black one. Not sure this helps field of view? I am worried I won't be able to see my HUD (JJ/shearwater HUD on a Shrimp BOV). The new Mod1 looks nice but seems huge and whole the five point strap probably fits well it is more involved getting it on perhaps.
    Alex

RBW Member carlbaldy is an unknown quantity at this point carlbaldy's Avatar
    Inspiration

Hi all the mouthpieces can be made shorter.
    There is another flange you just cut the extra off.
    Carl

RBW Member ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carlbaldy  View Original Post
    Hi all the mouthpieces can be made shorter.
    There is another flange you just cut the extra off.
    Carl
    Good to know, but broady in his post above said that the other bite piece has a larger cross section and my concern is really WOB. So I'd be interesting in the way to maximize the cross section and shorten the piece for best WOB.

RBW Member carlbaldy is an unknown quantity at this point carlbaldy's Avatar
    Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalDiver  View Original Post
    Good to know, but broady in his post above said that the other bite piece has a larger cross section and my concern is really WOB. So I'd be interesting in the way to maximize the cross section and shorten the piece for best WOB.
    Hi he actually said larger cross section than a Apex.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5