+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Float Arms for Deep Dives

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Pathfinder, Inspo, Kiss, MKVI

Float Arms for Deep Dives

Hi,

Is anyone using float arms to mount strobe/lights that can go deep, so to 130m?

I've taken the Stix float arms to this depth and they compress, but come back after the dive. I'd like something solid so my rig doesn't get heavier at depth.

thanks, damien

RBW Member Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme

Dolphin

Re: Float Arms for Deep Dives

Ultralight has been making bouyancy control arms for years. Basically hollow sealed tubes. Try "Backscatter" website for details on sizes, diameters and prices. Good luck.

RBW Master Plumber lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Meg,Prizm,RB80,LARV,MK15,HomeB

RBW Member garyd is an unknown quantity at this point garyd's Avatar
    KISS Classic #408

See

The Deco Stop

Very good article in ADM if you can access it, about the floats John did. He may even be willing to discuss it with you if you contact him.

Sorry for the cross forum post but there didn't seem to be anything about it here.

Gary

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wright  View Original Post
    Ultralight has been making bouyancy control arms for years. Basically hollow sealed tubes. Try "Backscatter" website for details on sizes, diameters and prices. Good luck.
    I'd seen these but was unsure if they'd handle the pressure. Assuming that is the case they'll do the job.

Thanks, ds

RBW Member Bazzer is an unknown quantity at this point Bazzer's Avatar
    DRÄGER Atlantis/Dolphin mix

Depending on the size and weight of your strobes, Loc Line arms, (otherwise known as the bendy plastic ones,) while slightly negative, may suffice for your needs. If you drill a few small holes in each arm, then depth limit is virtually endless. If you come back to the surface in good condition, then so will they. Only caveat is that they are only fit for use with small, light strobes that offer little hydrodynamic drag. They are simply not robust enough to use with heavy strobes. I used them for many years as my macro arms with the old Ikelite MS units, and since switching to digital, have used them for wide angle work too in conjunction with Inon Z240’s. They stay put in all but the strongest current.

Meg

Just an update, I've been using the Nauticam carbon fibre arms lately to max depth 125m so far and they work a charm. Lots of buoyancy and no issues with depth.

RBW Member SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by betti154  View Original Post
    Just an update, I've been using the Nauticam carbon fibre arms lately to max depth 125m so far and they work a charm. Lots of buoyancy and no issues with depth.
    Good to know, now let's see some pictures!!

Ashley Hauck ash814 is an unknown quantity at this point ash814's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

I am also using and loving the Nauticam buoyancy arms.

Not only do they maintain buoyancy at depth, they also look cool--I'm a sucker for carbon fiber, I guess.

Meg

Just an update, I've had a hole in one of my nauticam arms after subsequent shallower dives. I believe nauticam are working on a stronger reinforced/honeycomb version but am unclear at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast