+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast

Thread: more rEvo problems

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

more rEvo problems

OK, now that I have your attention. How often do you have to replace your mushroom valves?

I just went out to get my rEvo put together for a possible dive tomorrow after work and guess what? Yep, the frickin musroom valve is all out of whack and leaking like hell. This is not the first time that this hads happened to me, but it is only with this damned ray DSV that I have ever had an issue. This will be the 3rd time that I have replaced the musroom valves. The first time I just assumed that Mel had some bad breath and had caused some previous damage before I bought the unit. The second time, I deducted that it was probably because of the crud that was all over them. This time I have been diving with minty fresh breath and keeping the loop very clean and can not find any reason for the failure.

My Optima DSV was rock solid and I never had to worry about it getting gummed up from silt or sand either. It may very well be time to shitcan this DSV and replace it with a better quality one. What are some of your opinions on this?

I am not quite sold on a BOV yet so lets stick with DSV's. Are there any other ones that are a simply swap out on the rEvo?
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Capt/ Instructor
    tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1's Avatar
    SF2 | rEvo

PRISM Topaz

If your looking for an easy swap I'd try the meg dsv. Both use the 47mm hose cuffs on the shrimp so I'd bet the dsv is swappable.
    -Capt Tom McCarthy
    Stone Rust | East Coast Wreck Diving
    SF2 | rEvo
    Training | Charters | Equipment

Cave Country Dive Shop Jim Wyatt is an unknown quantity at this point Jim Wyatt's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: more rEvo problems

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    OK, now that I have your attention. How often do you have to replace your mushroom valves?
    So far I have not had to replace them...

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

The rEvo DSV with gag strap is the best rebreather MP I have used so far.
    Just take note that rEvo do not recommend disinfecting it with Listerine as the alcohol in it can shrink the mushroom valves causing leaks.

Cheers!

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Davydive  View Original Post
    The rEvo DSV with gag strap is the best rebreather MP I have used so far.
    Just take note that rEvo do not recommend disinfecting it with Listerine as the alcohol in it can shrink the mushroom valves causing leaks.

Cheers!
    I use Jack Daniels Black Label, but if I am in a real bind then I will sometimes use Budweiser.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

I think the Drager loop has always been a weak point on the rEvo. I never liked any of mine and I gave them all a fair shot. It just aint quality. I do like the open / close action though.

Still, Im not a fan of the twisty twisty action on my AP DSV either.

I agree Meg DSV would be a good alternative.

RBW Member phylo is an unknown quantity at this point phylo's Avatar
    rEvo II HCCR

Dolphin, KISS, Inspiration

If you aren't apposed to a BOV I would highly recommend the Shrimp. I absolutely love mine. I have had a couple Golem Gear BOV's at this point and they have always worked flawlessly and I haven't had any problems with mushroom valves on either one.

Phil

RBW Member jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat's Avatar
    rEvo 3 MICRO FT

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR, MEG 2.01

Don -- DO NOT USE THE MEG DSV. I took one off a MEG and put it on my Standard rEVO 3 about ~~2 years ago.. The WOB went way up.. probably dead air space or something, but WOB was extremely sensitive to the attitude I was in whilst in the pool..

I guess I concluded that what works on an OTS unit does not necessarily translate to BMCL.

Be careful with this one man... and ..... i am Glad the mushroom valves worked on your big cave dive a couple of weeks back

John

PS -- I change out the mushroom valves every year (they are 15 bucks each) when I have the regulators and ADV serviced.. they are so cheap, just toss them in a year and all is good..
    Last edited by jcmankat; 23rd April 2012 at 02:00.

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by jcmankat  View Original Post
    Don -- DO NOT USE THE MEG DSV. I took one off a MEG and put it on my Standard rEVO 3 about ~~2 years ago.. The WOB went way up.. probably dead air space or something, but WOB was extremely sensitive to the attitude I was in whilst in the pool..

I guess I concluded that what works on an OTS unit does not necessarily translate to BMCL.

Be careful with this one man... and ..... i am Glad the mushroom valves worked on your big cave dive a couple of weeks back

John

PS -- I change out the mushroom valves every year (they are 15 bucks each) when I have the regulators and ADV serviced.. they are so cheap, just toss them in a year and all is good..
    Thanks for the heads up.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Interesting. Cant think why it would be any worse?

Quote Originally Posted by jcmankat  View Original Post

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast