+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hardwiring a Mk15

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Hardwiring a Mk15

Hi,

I am looking to get rid of the POS Sartek secondary that my Mk15 came with. One of the options I was looking at was the Heinrichs Weikamp ppO2 meter which just comes with a bare cable end.

My centre section had the secondary Bendix removed and a Lumberg socket fitted instead for the Sartek. So I'm looking to remove the Lumberg and replace it with a cable gland instead.

Anyone any recommendations for glands to use? I like the ones that are used on Hammerheads, I take it these are some sort of modified Swagelok fitting? Any other recommendations?

The alternative is to use one of the Gorilla Diving monitors and just swap the Lumberg cable off the Sartek but it doesn't work out much cheaper than the very bling HW display.

Cheers,

Stuart

RBW Member spottydog is on a distinguished road spottydog is on a distinguished road spottydog's Avatar

Re: Hardwiring a Mk15

Tec-me do the blue-globe glands, spec is 10 bar so overkill as the centre section is at ambient. They're m12 by 1.5 thread. What size is the hole ?

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Definitely lose the Lumberg. I had a rig w/ 7 of them and it was a never ending battle to keep them from 'weeping' current & causing all manner of gremlins. If you want to retrofit to stock, might give Darryl Ertel a call. He sells on ebay. His store is called 'great red plum'. He bought most of Dick King's parts a few years ago. If going hardwired, I'd suggest Swagelok fitting on CS cabled to a Fischer-connected Shearwater Predator. It would cost a bit more than straight ppO2 but think of it as getting deco info for half the price after cost of just a decent ppO2 readout is considered. Size of Swagelok would depend on diameter of cable.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skipbreather  View Original Post
    Definitely lose the Lumberg. I had a rig w/ 7 of them and it was a never ending battle to keep them from 'weeping' current & causing all manner of gremlins.
    I think I've only got three, two on the Hammerhead pod and one on the Sartek secondary. I just keep the whole thing done up and don't touch it. I've found both Fischers and Lumbergs are a pain and work on the principle of don't bother them and they won't bother you.

If you want to retrofit to stock, might give Darryl Ertel a call. He sells on ebay. His store is called 'great red plum'. He bought most of Dick King's parts a few years ago.
    I need to get back to Darryl as I was looking at buying some parts as my Mk15 is, er, in a well used state. I don't know if Private Eye is available in the US but the phrase they use is "tired and emotional".

If going hardwired, I'd suggest Swagelok fitting on CS cabled to a Fischer-connected Shearwater Predator.
    Do you know how the Swagelok fittings are rigged? I take it they are modifed somehow?

It would cost a bit more than straight ppO2 but think of it as getting deco info for half the price after cost of just a decent ppO2 readout is considered.
    Trouble is I don't want the deco info. I've got a HH and I'm happy with tables as back-up. I also really don't like Shearwaters. I know everyone loves them but I just don't like them and the prices are ridiculous. I just want a simple display for a reasonable price and the HW unit fits that. The other choice was a Gorilla meter and I could just strip the Lumberg cable from the Sartek and fit it to that.

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    Do you know how the Swagelok fittings are rigged? I take it they are modifed somehow?
    They're just plain old Swagelok fittings. I purchased stock Swagelok fittings when I updated my HH pod. Like Skipbreather said, you just need the diameter of the cable, and then make sure you orient the ferrules correctly and give it the right amount of torque when tightening. Dude, Shearwaters are great. Funny, I have the same sentiments about other gear, but not the SW.

Quote Originally Posted by cys  View Original Post
    They're just plain old Swagelok fittings. I purchased stock Swagelok fittings when I updated my HH pod. Like Skipbreather said, you just need the diameter of the cable, and then make sure you orient the ferrules correctly and give it the right amount of torque when tightening. Dude, Shearwaters are great. Funny, I have the same sentiments about other gear, but not the SW.
    Really? So you just treat the cable as a piece of pipe? I thought I'd read something about needing a different ferrule. I'll have a play, I've got a box of assorted Swagelok stuff from homebuilding. Thanks.

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Yeah, really. Been there, done it. However, I only have experience doing it with the HH primary cable that I installed on a pod. My old pod developed a short and I shortened the cable and replaced the fitting during the swap.

Really? So you just treat the cable as a piece of pipe? I thought I'd read something about needing a different ferrule. I'll have a play, I've got a box of assorted Swagelok stuff from homebuilding. Thanks.

MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

What about the horseshoe board to Lumberg bulkhead fitting part of your rig? My 15 showed up with the Lumberg conversion and Sartek secondary. In my case whoever did the work stuffed things up nicely as they placed a poor quality splice between the HS board and the Lumberg bulkhead, and this had corroded back to the board as I learned a short period of time after purchase. My 15 came from the larger NY area.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

You can use a standard Swagelok fitting of appropriate size for the cable + appropriate threaded end to fit whatever has been done to your CS. In various devices I've built, I've taken the practice a bit further. I use the appropriate Swagelok fitting body & nut, but in place of the metal 2 part ferrule I substitute a rubber inner seal stolen from an IP6 rated plastic or brass cable strain relief backed up w/ a stainless washer.

I've found that some types of cable take a set over time and can leak between the metal ferrule and plastic cable sheath if disassembled, reassembled, and roughly handled. The rubber seal seems to have more give to compensate. YMMV.

New Member hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca's Avatar

Thumbs down Re: Hardwiring a Mk15

Hardwired my LRI through the center section... normal swagelok bulkhead penetration fitting on the cable (can use plastic ferrels if desired), but used the niffty bendix bulkhead nut w/ recessed oring capture to make the fitting to center section WT.

So here's a shameless plug for laguna research... just yummy, can do just about anythinb to them and they'll still bring you home alive. So much ability to dial them in for a particular rig and specific diver.

Anywho, my only comment is be ware that something must seal the fitting to the center section...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast