+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CCR and Cave Diving

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

CCR and Cave Diving

Just thought i would put a few thoughts on the page about CCRs and cave diving.

DSix and i just completed a 4 hour and 15 min dive at Eagle's Nest sink/cave system in Weeki Wachee, Florida. for those of you unfamiliar with this system, it is big, deep and has a very dark character. you can go from small and silty, to gigantic crystal clear rooms. a very, very cool dive.

we used the DPV's and also swam through sections just under 300 ft deep and through belly rub restrictions. we even encountered a halocline at one point in the dive. average depth about 255 ft or so. this is a place i have dove many times and can never get enough of it.

anyway, the point of this is, having done this cave on OC in the past, how amazing it is to do on the CCR, especially the Revo. this particular dive was far beyond anything i had done on OC, and frankly, probably would not do on OC. my comfort level on the Revo exceeded what i had felt when i did this system in the past (but not this specific dive) on the Optima.

The Revo, and well designed CCRs in general, are amazing tools to accomplish dives like this. yes, we had lots of OC gas on us and staged, so like an OC dive, it was equipment intensive. but i can honestly say, that although we were absolutely prepared to use the OC gas if necessary, i never really expected i would need it. i have great confidence in the Revo. that being said however, i still go by the credo "trust but verify"

thanks to Paul for designing this fabulous tool. and thanks TJ, for your dive support on Saturday and Sunday.
    Last edited by Linda Bowen; 7th April 2012 at 22:40.

RBW Member LeCrabe is an unknown quantity at this point LeCrabe's Avatar
    rEvo III mCCR mini titanium

Re: CCR and Cave Diving

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver  View Original Post
    ... . but i can honestly say, that although we were absolutely prepared to use the OC gas if necessary, i never really expected i would need it.
    Like a condom my friend, better have it and not use it than the other way around...

For the cave idiots can you tell what kind of bailout gases did you carry and staged (not to criticize just out of curiosity since I do not cave dive)
    regards

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

Could not agree with u more jeff. I was there last week. Love it. Now if we could just get u on the correct scooter

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scubagrunt  View Original Post
    Could not agree with u more jeff. I was there last week. Love it. Now if we could just get u on the correct scooter
    And just out of curiosity ( and with the future in mind) which scooter would that be ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD  View Original Post
    And just out of curiosity ( and with the future in mind) which scooter would that be ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    the Ferrari in scooterworld!
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

Quote Originally Posted by scubagrunt  View Original Post

aw Mel, I love my Viper.

Revo

Optima

Quote Originally Posted by LeCrabe  View Original Post
    Like a condom my friend, better have it and not use it than the other way around...

For the cave idiots can you tell what kind of bailout gases did you carry and staged (not to criticize just out of curiosity since I do not cave dive)
    regards
    Throughout the dive, we each carried two alum 80's with 15/55. we staged at two different points in the cave an alum 80 with 15/55 and one with 21/35. at the top of the "mound" just below the entrance, we staged 80 cu ft of 32/15, and 120 cu ft of EAN 50. we also left 120 cu ft of oxygen at 20 ft in the basin in open water.

we did a setup dive the previous day to place most of the gas in the water.

Revo

Optima

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver  View Original Post
    Just thought i would put a few thoughts on the page about CCRs and cave diving.

DSix and i just completed a 4 hour and 15 min dive at Eagle's Nest sink/cave system in Weeki Wachee, Florida. for those of you unfamiliar with this system, it is big, deep and has a very dark character. you can go from small and silty, to gigantic crystal clear rooms. a very, very cool dive.

we used the DPV's and also swam through sections just under 300 ft deep and through belly rub restrictions. we even encountered a halocline at one point in the dive. average depth about 255 ft or so. this is a place i have dove many times and can never get enough of it.

anyway, the point of this is, having done this cave on OC in the past, how amazing it is to do on the CCR, especially the Revo. this particular dive was far beyond anything i had done on OC, and frankly, probably would not do on OC. my comfort level on the Revo exceeded what i had felt when i did this system in the past (but not this specific dive) on the Optima.

The Revo, and well designed CCRs in general, are amazing tools to accomplish dives like this. yes, we had lots of OC gas on us and staged, so like an OC dive, it was equipment intensive. but i can honestly say, that although we were absolutely prepared to use the OC gas if necessary, i never really expected i would need it. i have great confidence in the Revo. that being said however, i still go by the credo "trust but verify"

thanks to Paul for designing this fabulous tool. and thanks TJ, for your dive support on Saturday and Sunday.

i also want to add the tremendous respect i have for the original explorers of the "Nest". much of it was done on air and OC of course.

RBW Member Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester's Avatar
    rEvo III Magnum

Jeff,
    What no pics?

TJ

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Sly-vester  View Original Post
    Jeff,
    What no pics?

TJ
    You took the pictures, you should post them!
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!