+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

  1. #11
    RBW Member scubahamster is an unknown quantity at this point scubahamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NJ US
    Posts
    15
    Evo+

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by diverreb  View Original Post
    Roberts supplies GMP Oxygen and they are regular suppliers to Dive Shops and individuals.... For HP Helium they want to hear that you are welding Stainless and can't use the welding grade, unless of course you choose to use Welding Grade...

    Richie
    Thanks a lot. I called them and they told me that they don't deliver in central NJ

  2. #12
    Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    "Da" Bronx
    Posts
    4,116
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

    KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I'm not sure where you are in NJ, but there are a number of Airgas locations and each one is different. Depends on how big a jerk they want to be. I get O2 without a problem. It really doesn't matter what kind you get (go with the cheapest) since they fill them all the same way. The only difference is the paperwork and what they "certify" the purity to be. Ken is right that aviation is easier to get than medical. There is also food grade, but they tend to charge more for some reason.

    Most guys use commercial grade (balloon) helium. I often get the HP (high purity) for only a few dollars more. The benefit is that my Airgas supplier doesn't carry HP, so he gives me UHP (ultra high purity) for the same price.
    I have seen some very bad baloon grade helium, infact some suppliers purposely add o2 to it (I usually see 10-15%) when its done..

    if you know how the cylinders are handled and filled then industrial is usually ok.. the cylinders must be vacuumed prior to filling, on baloon grade they generally dont do that..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

    All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

  3. #13
    Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NJ - USA
    Posts
    2,326
    JJ, Flex

    rEvo III, Optima, GEM

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scubahamster  View Original Post
    Mine would be the one in Piscataway as well. I called them and they referred me to central customer service 866 number to open the account and this is where I blew it. The guy at nationwide customer service told me that he would send email to his colleagues to make sure that nobody opens an account for me if I call again without mentioning scuba. What a jerk.. Maybe I should just drive to Piscataway or wait few days and call again
    Definitely. You got a jerk on the phone. The local Airgas location can do everything for you that the central ones can as far as opening an account. I have found the 866 folks sometimes quote better prices, but that's not your issue. Stop by the Picataway location and talk to someone real.

    Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    I have seen some very bad baloon grade helium, infact some suppliers purposely add o2 to it (I usually see 10-15%) when its done..

    if you know how the cylinders are handled and filled then industrial is usually ok.. the cylinders must be vacuumed prior to filling, on baloon grade they generally dont do that..
    My supplier assured me they were handled the same, but I tend to get the UHP anyway. The one time I used commercial grade, I did not find that my blending was off at all.

    Ken
    Ken

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

  4. #14
    RBW Member scubahamster is an unknown quantity at this point scubahamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NJ US
    Posts
    15
    Evo+

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Definitely. You got a jerk on the phone. The local Airgas location can do everything for you that the central ones can as far as opening an account. I have found the 866 folks sometimes quote better prices, but that's not your issue. Stop by the Picataway location and talk to someone real.
    Ken

    Thanks for this - I am going to stop by Piscataway's location . Few questions if you don't mind:

    What do I tell them I need oxygen and helium for? Aircraft, welding.. ?

    Would they ask for some kind on license?

    I assume that PADI gas blender card may be like a red flag to them? - Well, I don't have it anyway

    Regards

  5. #15
    RBW Member Skankpile has a spectacular aura about Skankpile has a spectacular aura about Skankpile has a spectacular aura about Skankpile has a spectacular aura about Skankpile has a spectacular aura about Skankpile has a spectacular aura about Skankpile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    197
    Meg

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Wow I called loca dealers here for AV and HP Helium prices and they were more than happy go get a paying customer.

    Funny you can buy acetylene all day long but Helium and AV cause alarm. I bet if you call a place and order HP Helium, AV O2, and acetylene they will just need your address and cc for deposit.

    Since you order acetylene with it they will know you plan on using open flames around the gas so they immediately see you as a valued safe customer.
    Last edited by Skankpile; 3rd April 2012 at 17:58.

  6. #16
    Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NJ - USA
    Posts
    2,326
    JJ, Flex

    rEvo III, Optima, GEM

    I really don't know what to tell you since I've never had an issue with a butthead. I would just start by telling them you want O2 and ask what the prices are for different grades for a 300 tank. If they press you further, tell them welding or transfilling into small aviation bottles. Or food use, but not a commercial kitchen. Be nice and friendly and they shouldn't care. Ditto for helium. They shouldn't care.
    Ken

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

  7. #17
    RBW Member scubahamster is an unknown quantity at this point scubahamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NJ US
    Posts
    15
    Evo+

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I really don't know what to tell you since I've never had an issue with a butthead. I would just start by telling them you want O2 and ask what the prices are for different grades for a 300 tank. If they press you further, tell them welding or transfilling into small aviation bottles. Or food use, but not a commercial kitchen. Be nice and friendly and they shouldn't care. Ditto for helium. They shouldn't care.

    Thanks for your help everyone. I really appreciate it.

    Will stop by and talk to Airgas.

    Also called AGL in Clifton and they have no issues selling me breathing oxygen, no license needed - just come pay, grab and go. However they mentioned that helium is at shortage and they don't sell it to new customers - will check with Airgas and GTS Welco.

  8. #18
    RBW Member JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT will become famous soon enough JacobT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    89
    rEvo III

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Sorry I know I'm not adding value to this thread, but boy have we got it easier here....
    Just pop down to the local gas-pusher and ask for breathing O2 and industrial* helium in 50L bottles.

    No questions asked and our account even states we are a dive club.

    I hope you (OP) find a source without too much hassle!

    -Jacob

    * I think that is what it's called anyway (can't remember right now)

  9. #19
    Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    270
    Classic KISS

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    I had no problem getting an account with GTS Welco. At the time (2010-2011) I was in northern Hunterdon county and went to the gas shop in Flemington to sign up. They were happy to deliver "technical diving grade" oxygen, which I'm sure is nothing more than a ruse to get more money out of my wallet. But for me it was a matter of convenience, and it was still less expensive than the dive shop when time and gasoline were taken into account.

    I moved just before I was going to add helium to the delivery ...

  10. #20
    RBW Member scubahamster is an unknown quantity at this point scubahamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NJ US
    Posts
    15
    Evo+

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Greenberg  View Original Post
    I had no problem getting an account with GTS Welco. At the time (2010-2011) I was in northern Hunterdon county and went to the gas shop in Flemington to sign up. They were happy to deliver "technical diving grade" oxygen, which I'm sure is nothing more than a ruse to get more money out of my wallet. But for me it was a matter of convenience, and it was still less expensive than the dive shop when time and gasoline were taken into account.

    I moved just before I was going to add helium to the delivery ...
    Yeap, I got my account set up with them now. They emailed me the last week - no issues whatsoever... Their shop in Linden is less than 10 min drive from my house so I will be doing my own pick up.


    Regards

    Igor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts