+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

  1. #1
    RBW Member scubahamster is an unknown quantity at this point scubahamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NJ US
    Posts
    15
    Evo+

    Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Hi

    I am wondering where does everyone get oxygen and helium to mix their own gas?

    I have my own booster and until recently was getting pure oxygen from my local dive shop which is not always convenient as they can't fill more than one Al 80 and it takes few days.

    Trying to figure out if I can get one set of my 120 double tanks filled with oxygen and another set with helium so I can be set for few months?

    Can I buy oxygen and helium from some medical gas supplier in my area ?

    Do you need to have some kind of license to buy gas in bulk? in am in NJ.


    Thanks a lot
    Last edited by scubahamster; 3rd April 2012 at 02:50.

  2. #2
    RBW Member Dougyfresh is on a distinguished road Dougyfresh is on a distinguished road Dougyfresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    158
    KISS Classic

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Do a search for local gas suppliers. You should be able to get what ever you need.

  3. #3
    Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    1,487
    O2ptima FX

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Try Roberts Oxygen in Pleasantville, NJ.... You can rent tanks and buy gas from them... I use them here in DE.... They deliver, if you don't want the hassle of picking up.

    Richie

  4. #4
    Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NJ - USA
    Posts
    2,326
    JJ, Flex

    rEvo III, Optima, GEM

    I get good prices from Airgas. Rent a tank, bring it home and pump it into 120s, then return the tank. You only pay a few bucks for the rental. Alternative is to lease the tank for about $50 a year.
    Ken

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

  5. #5
    RBW Member scubahamster is an unknown quantity at this point scubahamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NJ US
    Posts
    15
    Evo+

    Unhappy Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I get good prices from Airgas. Rent a tank, bring it home and pump it into 120s, then return the tank. You only pay a few bucks for the rental. Alternative is to lease the tank for about $50 a year.
    Hmm

    Thanks. I called Airgas and was told they wouldn't sell gas for scuba mixing due to liability. Trying other local gas suppliers now but looks like I would need Tec Gas Blender class first

  6. #6
    Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,323
    MEGALODON MK15.5

    BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scubahamster  View Original Post
    Hmm

    Thanks. I called Airgas and was told they wouldn't sell gas for scuba mixing due to liability. Trying other local gas suppliers now but looks like I would need Tec Gas Blender class first
    You asked the wrong question. Whenever you talk to a gas supplier, you want to get a cylinder of "AVIATOR'S OXYGEN" . If they press you, tell them it's for refilling your own small cylinders that 'can be' carried & used on small aircraft.

    Ken

    Yes, yes, others will start the entire welding vs aviator's endless discussion, but if aviator's is available it's always my choice.

  7. #7
    Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NJ - USA
    Posts
    2,326
    JJ, Flex

    rEvo III, Optima, GEM

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    I'm not sure where you are in NJ, but there are a number of Airgas locations and each one is different. Depends on how big a jerk they want to be. I get O2 without a problem. It really doesn't matter what kind you get (go with the cheapest) since they fill them all the same way. The only difference is the paperwork and what they "certify" the purity to be. Ken is right that aviation is easier to get than medical. There is also food grade, but they tend to charge more for some reason.

    Most guys use commercial grade (balloon) helium. I often get the HP (high purity) for only a few dollars more. The benefit is that my Airgas supplier doesn't carry HP, so he gives me UHP (ultra high purity) for the same price.
    Ken

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

  8. #8
    RBW Member scubahamster is an unknown quantity at this point scubahamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NJ US
    Posts
    15
    Evo+

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skipbreather  View Original Post
    You asked the wrong question. Whenever you talk to a gas supplier, you want to get a cylinder of "AVIATOR'S OXYGEN" . If they press you, tell them it's for refilling your own small cylinders that 'can be' carried & used on small aircraft.

    Ken

    Yes, yes, others will start the entire welding vs aviator's endless discussion, but if aviator's is available it's always my choice.

    That's exactly what I thought. I screwed it so stupidly

    At Airgas they told me that since I mentioned scuba, they wouldn't deal with me. I guess Airgas is off the table - I have very distinct accent so they would remember me

    Waiting for call back from GTS Welco but I also mentioned scuba to them – will be surprised if they call back. Need to find another supplier. Can helium also be used for small aircraft?


  9. #9
    Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    1,487
    O2ptima FX

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Roberts supplies GMP Oxygen and they are regular suppliers to Dive Shops and individuals.... For HP Helium they want to hear that you are welding Stainless and can't use the welding grade, unless of course you choose to use Welding Grade...

    Richie

  10. #10
    RBW Member scubahamster is an unknown quantity at this point scubahamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NJ US
    Posts
    15
    Evo+

    Re: Where to get oxygen and helium in NJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I'm not sure where you are in NJ, but there are a number of Airgas locations and each one is different. Depends on how big a jerk they want to be. I get O2 without a problem. It really doesn't matter what kind you get (go with the cheapest) since they fill them all the same way. The only difference is the paperwork and what they "certify" the purity to be. Ken is right that aviation is easier to get than medical. There is also food grade, but they tend to charge more for some reason.

    Most guys use commercial grade (balloon) helium. I often get the HP (high purity) for only a few dollars more. The benefit is that my Airgas supplier doesn't carry HP, so he gives me UHP (ultra high purity) for the same price.
    Mine would be the one in Piscataway as well. I called them and they referred me to central customer service 866 number to open the account and this is where I blew it. The guy at nationwide customer service told me that he would send email to his colleagues to make sure that nobody opens an account for me if I call again without mentioning scuba. What a jerk.. Maybe I should just drive to Piscataway or wait few days and call again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts