+ Reply to Thread

Thread: San Francisco

Forever Learning kennethw is an unknown quantity at this point kennethw's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT / full rMS

Dräger Dolphin (mCCR)

San Francisco

I most likely will be going to San Francisco in June for a conference and hope to take a few days off there.

Looking for information on where to dive in SF, and rebreather friendly operators.

Thanks.

Forever Learning kennethw is an unknown quantity at this point kennethw's Avatar

Dräger Dolphin (mCCR)

Re: San Francisco

Only thing I've found is ... http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=19182 ... not very encouraging.

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Give Phil Sammet a call. Most of the good diving around SF is in Monterey.
    UNDERWATER COMPANY working hard to keep our heads below water MONTEREY CA. CAPTDEEP@ REDSHIFT.COM (831) 915-6600

Aloha,
    Charlie

RBW Member Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure's Avatar
    Draeger Dolphin (modified)

You wouldn't want to actually dive in SF bay. Crap vis, muddy bottom, strong currents, and nothing much to see. Other than that, it's great.

Monterey Bay, about a two hour drive south of San Francisco, is a different story. Lots to see, although vis can be poor at times, depending on your specific location. Point Lobos State Reserve is one of my favorite places to dive. It requires reservations, and there is a fee to enter. The number of dives teams allowed in per day is restricted, and solo diving is prohibited. It's been a wildlife preserve for over 45 years, so there is more to see than there is off of Cannery Row.

Diving | Point Lobos Foundation

I second the recommendation for Phil Sammet, but know that he is very busy these days, so contact him well in advance of your arrival.

There are quite a few decent charter boats in the area. Not all are rebreather-friendly though. The Beachhopper II is small, and rebreather-friendly.

For Monterey Sea Conditions, look here.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Dräger Dolphin (mCCR)

Thanks Charlie and Scott, once my plans firm up a little more, I shall contact them.

Dräger Dolphin (mCCR)

Hmmm ... no response from Phil from my note to him on 6th April ...

+ Reply to Thread