+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buddy Dive Bonaire Tech event

RBW Member kierentec is an unknown quantity at this point kierentec's Avatar
    HH, Optima, rEvo, Explorer

Buddy Dive Bonaire Tech event

anybody going? My girlfriend and I have been invited for a free trip by some previous students of ours. it will be about a month after we take our Optima course, and will be a great excuse for us to play and rack up some hours. we have never been to Bonaire, but obviously have always wondered what all the hype was about.
    since we will be new to CCR, we are not looking for anything deep, which it sounds like there isn't much in Bonaire anyways, but we will be doing the windjammer wreck on OC to get our He fix :).
    if anybody here is going, it would be great to meet up.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4hyzl4

RBW Member hillbilly will become famous soon enough hillbilly will become famous soon enough hillbilly will become famous soon enough hillbilly will become famous soon enough hillbilly's Avatar
    eCCR Meg

mCCR Dreadnought

Re: Buddy Dive Bonaire Tech event

There is some deep dives in Bonaire. You have the Windjammer at 200' at its deepest. (Require a Guide for the Jammer Dive)

Karpata has anchors from 180' feet down. Same thing at the Red Slave Huts, 160' and deeper, lots of anchors down there. At the slave huts you have to be aware of the current. Been there with no current one dive and the next, wild current during deco.

Some easier dives are the 2nd reef starting around "The Lake Dive Site". Going passed the Hilma Hooker site to the 2nd reef and drop over the side and hang a right, there is an old engine block down there.

Not to many OC divers head to the 2nd reef due to distance and depth. Top of the reef is around 70-80' at this site. Last October we had a pod of Dolphins swim by us. The site was Angel City 2nd reef.

The wild side is pretty cool diving when the wind is blowing from the opposite side (Shore Diving) I had eagle rays by the dozen swimming by me. Made alot of OC divers jealous.

If you decide to head out that way, just make sure they have the cartridges available for you breather. I deal with Walt at Rec Tek, decent guy and been dealing with him for 4+ years for slime and O2.

When is this Tech Event Planned for? I am heading down again in 3 weeks for some R&R.

Lorne

RBW Member killey is an unknown quantity at this point killey's Avatar
    rEvo III

Evolution / Inspiration

I definitely agree. I've been to Bonaire several times on rebreather. I love it. I highly recomend Walt at Rec Tec scuba (office located at capt don's which is right next door to buddy dive). Karpata, Repel and the dive site at the restaurant in the nature park are some of the best. http://www.rectekscuba.com

http://www.buddydive.com/events/budd...ing-event.html

oct. 13th to the 27th.

the price includes all sorb/cartridges, CCR&bailout fills, accommodations and rental vehicle. sounds like a great deal. the only trouble is getting there from St. Croix....

that's great to hear there are some deep options, buddy's prices on the OC fills is actually very reasonable. $.25/cuft for O2 and $1.65/cuft for He. I contacted Walt about fills, and he was almost 3 times as much. I always try to support the little guys, but money is still money.

it sounds like we will be there for the second week of the event.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tinvwa

dive! dive! dive! mmarcoux is an unknown quantity at this point mmarcoux's Avatar
    rEvo 3 Micro FT RMS, JJ CCR

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR

I just got back from Bonaire and used Walt for all my CCR stuff. Helium/Sofnolime (option to pay by pound) was expensive but as far as bailout goes, Walt only charges for the rental of the tank as long as you use his pre-mixed bottles (he has 40s and 80s of almost anything you would want) and don't use it.

Did some deep dives Windjammer, Karpata but with the ccr you can connect multiple sites (3-5 easily). With a buddy drop on vehicle at one site and drive a second vehicle to your start and dive away.

RBW Member hillbilly will become famous soon enough hillbilly will become famous soon enough hillbilly will become famous soon enough hillbilly will become famous soon enough hillbilly's Avatar
    eCCR Meg

mCCR Dreadnought

I wouldn't make it for the fall one as I do not get to Bonaire till October 27th.

I tried dealing with Buddy Dive afew years back. They were not too bright back then, selling sofnolime below cost (I know because I am A Dive Shop Owner). I even tried talking with the guy who was in charge back then and wow, that was interesting. LOL. Then they stopped doing everything technical, selling off TDI books, etc. Now back again!

I told Walt about the cheap slime and he even considered buying from them as it was cheaper than importing it. I still paid him $85 more (Tub) even though I could have got it cheaper.

I guess since they are a large outfit they can sell gases and slime at or below costs and get money from other divisions in the company to cover loses elsewhere.

I would rather pay a bit more for consistancy and for someone with knowledge. I never got a straight answer at Buddy's, gut feeling was not to deal with them. Except for Rum Punch Fridays!

We all have choices and I choose the under dog even if it cost me more.

Definately go down, you'll get lots of hours/experience with your rebreather.

thanks for all the info guys. the timing is perfect for us, especially since Lamar and crew will be there to help us with anything we've stumbled on since training.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wwtam2

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

I am just back and can't say enough good about Walt as he knows his stuff, and only charges for what you use.

If fish watching is your thing I recomend the book "Reef Fish Behavior" by Ned Deloach and Paul Humann it is an amazing resorce unlike any refference book I have previously used.

Peter

I am going on the Bonaire trip for both weeks oct 13-27 i am looking for people to help fill a three bedroom one week or both ($769 per week if i can fill it) I will be diving an optima and doing lots of photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Plapin  View Original Post
    I am going on the Bonaire trip for both weeks oct 13-27 i am looking for people to help fill a three bedroom one week or both ($769 per week if i can fill it) I will be diving an optima and doing lots of photography.
    great, we will have to meet up. if you are on Facebook, there is an optima divers group and I think there are a few people on there looking for roommates.

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups...user=774445111

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fhilnq

+ Reply to Thread