+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A real test dive

RBW Member emferritto is an unknown quantity at this point emferritto's Avatar
    Titan CCR

A real test dive

Hi All -

Diving rebreathers in the pool are amazing as is, but we know divers want to get a REAL TEST DIVE in the Ocean with a rebreather. Titan Dive Gear now offers REAL Test Dives with their IANTD Instructor, Elaine Ferritto. Here are all the details:

1) The diver must attend at least 1 x pool demo prior to the ocean dive. Check out the demo schedule on Titan Dive Gear - Dive Technologies for the 21st Century
    2) 1 Day Titan Rental Fee ($125 + consumables) - This money will go towards your purchase of a Titan CCR if you buy within 1 year of Test Dive.
    3) The diver must cover Boat costs for the diver and Instructor.
    4) $150 to Instructor - This money will go towards your training with Elaine on the Titan CCR if you sign up within 1 year of Test Dive.*

These sessions are one on one "mini classes". Elaine runs you through the Pre Dive and Post Dive rebreather checklists and supervises your dives. It's a great time to ask questions and get a REAL feel for how the Titan CCR dives.*

To sign up, contact Titan Dive Gear directly - 877-31-TITAN, or email: info@titandivegear.com

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

Re: A real test dive

Quote Originally Posted by emferritto  View Original Post
    Hi All -

Diving rebreathers in the pool are amazing as is, but we know divers want to get a REAL TEST DIVE in the Ocean with a rebreather. Titan Dive Gear now offers REAL Test Dives with their IANTD Instructor, Elaine Ferritto. Here are all the details:

1) The diver must attend at least 1 x pool demo prior to the ocean dive. Check out the demo schedule on Titan Dive Gear - Dive Technologies for the 21st Century
    2) 1 Day Titan Rental Fee ($125 + consumables) - This money will go towards your purchase of a Titan CCR if you buy within 1 year of Test Dive.
    3) The diver must cover Boat costs for the diver and Instructor.
    4) $150 to Instructor - This money will go towards your training with Elaine on the Titan CCR if you sign up within 1 year of Test Dive.*

These sessions are one on one "mini classes". Elaine runs you through the Pre Dive and Post Dive rebreather checklists and supervises your dives. It's a great time to ask questions and get a REAL feel for how the Titan CCR dives.*

To sign up, contact Titan Dive Gear directly - 877-31-TITAN, or email: info@titandivegear.com
    The idea is great and the price sounds ok but what's a REAL DIVE?? how deep? how long? what do you see? would this de desirable for people who may not many to buy a car?

How many locations offer this service?

What advantages does the mfg of the titan see when comparing the unit to every other unit that s being produced.

Revo has sold more units to the public FROM THE TIME THEY WENT TO MARKET in history and now have a global network of support, the US distribution and maintenance center can build several units from parts and the insight and know how is amazing

With the emergence of widespread customer service and formal dealer networks being set up......Hollis

My point is that this is to little to late.

RBW Member uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer's Avatar
    rEvo mini III Hybrid rMS

Quote Originally Posted by jont  View Original Post
    The idea is great and the price sounds ok but what's a REAL DIVE?? how deep? how long? what do you see? would this de desirable for people who may not many to buy a car?
    I just did one last week-end. Conditions were not so good in SoCal, so the dives were shallow (40 ft max) but deep enough to experience the challenge of adjusting buoyancy. Three 30-40' dives (I am getting bored rapidly without a video camera to play with, plus the sites weren't that exciting) only because I passed on the 4th one (already a lot of info to digest and I did not want to screw up because of fatigue on the last dive).
    I saw the difference with marine life. Fish either ignored me or came at me for a closer look. I even spooked a lobster which end up feeding a bunch of famished sheepheads.
    You are correct that this is most likely practical only in SoCal at this point, but if Titan grows, they will certainly have a representative in FL or elsewhere on the East Coast, if not elsewhere in the US.
    Diving in OW is definitely a different ball game altogether than diving in a 10' pool. I highly recommend this experience for anyone thinking of purchasing a unit (be a Titan or any other brand).

Just another Meg diver trimix1965 is an unknown quantity at this point trimix1965's Avatar
    Megladon Apecs 2.01

Hmm seems a little steep, why pay out so much just for a try dive , many Instructors out there do this for very little.

RBW Member uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer's Avatar
    rEvo mini III Hybrid rMS

Quote Originally Posted by trimix1965  View Original Post
    Hmm seems a little steep, why pay out so much just for a try dive , many Instructors out there do this for very little.
    It's still cheaper than flying to Australia...

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by uwxplorer  View Original Post
    I just did one last week-end. Conditions were not so good in SoCal, so the dives were shallow (40 ft max) but deep enough to experience the challenge of adjusting buoyancy. Three 30-40' dives (I am getting bored rapidly without a video camera to play with, plus the sites weren't that exciting) only because I passed on the 4th one (already a lot of info to digest and I did not want to screw up because of fatigue on the last dive).
    I saw the difference with marine life. Fish either ignored me or came at me for a closer look. I even spooked a lobster which end up feeding a bunch of famished sheepheads.
    You are correct that this is most likely practical only in SoCal at this point, but if Titan grows, they will certainly have a representative in FL or elsewhere on the East Coast, if not elsewhere in the US.
    Diving in OW is definitely a different ball game altogether than diving in a 10' pool. I highly recommend this experience for anyone thinking of purchasing a unit (be a Titan or any other brand).
    Thats my point they need to grow NOW and figure out weaknesses other manufacturers offerings contain see if it makes sense to incentives dive sops with bigger margins.

At the end go the day a dive shop makes about 1000-1500 us for selling a 10K+/- piece of equipment that comes with a potential liability bill that can't be assessed at this time. Once the sale is made the usually get the training 800-1500 and the various bits of kit that are always overlooked. The way to create appetizing numbers for the financial markets.......necessary to properly grow is to reduce mfg costs, pass along profits to retailers, support retailer training , service so a standardized system can be developed....in a term....quality control.
    Look at McDonalds.....they made a global and highly profitable business selling shit....the exact same way over and over and that in and of it self is where there secret lies.

Hollis is looking down this road, and this is a VERY savvy move, with guys like Matt Addison involved Hollis is doing the first very smart thing surrounding themselves with highly accomplished financiers that understand the value of the publics perception.

Jon

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by trimix1965  View Original Post
    I agree. Do the math and you're talking about someone paying over $500 for a try dive. That's way too steep for my budget. And not a great marketing strategy IMHO.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

rEvo mini III Hybrid rMS

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I agree. Do the math and you're talking about someone paying over $500 for a try dive. That's way too steep for my budget. And not a great marketing strategy IMHO.
    My perspective on that is "if you are asking what it cost to maintain a boat, you can't afford one".
    Personally, I am fine paying that amount of money to spend one day one-on-one with an instructor diving the unit in real conditions for 3 dives (it could have been 4 if I had wished so). There is nothing out of the line in this cost compared to any other type of training with gear rental.
    Second, a rebreather tested in a pool is something, diving it in open water another thing altogether. I had a drysuit and needed a lot of lead to go under, which made me revise my initial pool impression of "how, these things are so light!". Well, not anymore when you have a 80 cf bailout tank and weights... This is an invaluable experience of what to expect when jumping the guns (as someone mentioned, $10K at least, all included).
    Third, the rental and training count towards your Titan purchase and training if you decide to go for it and use the service of the same instructor. Talk about a good deal! I don't think they make any money on this.
    Finally, I think spending 5% of a total unit price (including training) to get a better idea of whether or not you are going to regret your investment is a wise decision. But again, that's like, my opinion, man...
    Rebreathers may become as affordable as OC gear? Well they might be already! All included, a good setup is not overall that much cheaper anyway. I initially spent a fortune in PADI and SDI specialties just to get the amount of training that I felt necessary to provide me with the necessary confidence to go ahead and dive on my own. And since I have kept all my receipts for scuba gear, I could check how much I spent on all sorts of gadgets for my current setup. I wouldn't be surprised if I get close to the cost of a rebreather...
    I would not hold my breath anymore regarding a drop in cost in the near future. You've got to need it, you've got to be able to afford it, and look at it as your life supporting equipment. Not as a car bought to show off.
    My $500 worth of opinion.

rEvo mini III Hybrid rMS

This being said, I think what is missing for rebreathers to take off is what PADI is trying to solve: a way to make it an affordable alternative to recreational OC diving. That involves having dive shop invest in a dozen (and probably more) units each to be able to rent them to their students. What will be key is the ease and low cost of maintenance of these units once purchased. That's where the litmus test will be.
    Units that break down all the time or are very costly to repair, will not be purchased by dive shops and the market will adjust itself automatically.
    As a side note, in this respect, the Titan appears like a very easy to maintain unit, although it is not (yet) designed for recreational use.

Supporting Member quietmike is an unknown quantity at this point quietmike's Avatar
    rEvo micro

Evolution+

Saw the Titan at the Long Beach show... Got me real interested... signed up for more info... waiting...

+ Reply to Thread