+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steramine 1G Sanitizer

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Steramine 1G Sanitizer

This product has been mentioned in some older posts (2007) and I see that Dive Gear Express is carrying it. They say it is non-corrosive and only needs a 30-second dip + doesn't need to be rinsed. The price is nice, too, at 150 tablets for $8.50 USD.

Disinfectant, Lubricants, and Contact Cleaner for Rebreathers - Dive Gear Express
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Re: Steramine 1G Sanitizer

Thanks!

Steve Rich stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm's Avatar
    rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Sorry to hi-jack, but does anyone have any experience with StarSan? I always have some pre-mixed, it would be handy if I could use it on the Rebreather as well. The spec sheet shows that it's corrosive and shouldn't be inhaled, but the same warnings appear on Relyon in the undiluted form if I'm not mistaken.
    http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-...ar-San-HB4.pdf

RBW Member Dougyfresh is on a distinguished road Dougyfresh is on a distinguished road Dougyfresh's Avatar
    KISS Classic

So has anyone used this stuff yet. I use the RelyOn but get tired of the tablets going bad if they sit to long. Any info would be great.

Thanks Doug

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by Dougyfresh  View Original Post
    So has anyone used this stuff yet. I use the RelyOn but get tired of the tablets going bad if they sit to long. Any info would be great.

Thanks Doug
    We have been using it for some time now and it seems to work quite well (and as you said, very inexpensive). Jeff and Evan Bozanic presented a study at RF3 which compared several methods of sterilizing a breathing loop and found that a dip in a solution of Steramine (1 tab per gallon) had the best results of all the products tested. It was also shown that spraying on products (rely-on, Steramine) did not work as well as a full dip in solution.
    While I don't remember all the products tested, here are a few I do:
    Betadine
    Listerine
    Rely-on (spray & dip)
    Steramine (spray & dip)
    water rinse

Steramine is a quaternary ammonium and is used in the restaurant industry as a final sterilization agent after washing. Plates are dipped in the solution and then allowed to air dry. Quaternary ammonium cation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    From what I have been told, the trick is to NOT rinse the part out after dipping (which of course I was doing as habit) as the product kills bacteria as it dries (from a student who owns a restaurant and uses Steramine daily).
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by saveourseas  View Original Post
    We have been using it for some time now and it seems to work quite well (and as you said, very inexpensive). Jeff and Evan Bozanic presented a study at RF3 which compared several methods of sterilizing a breathing loop and found that a dip in a solution of Steramine (1 tab per gallon) had the best results of all the products tested. It was also shown that spraying on products (rely-on, Steramine) did not work as well as a full dip in solution.
    While I don't remember all the products tested, here are a few I do:
    Betadine
    Listerine
    Rely-on (spray & dip)
    Steramine (spray & dip)
    water rinse

Steramine is a quaternary ammonium and is used in the restaurant industry as a final sterilization agent after washing. Plates are dipped in the solution and then allowed to air dry. Quaternary ammonium cation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    From what I have been told, the trick is to NOT rinse the part out after dipping (which of course I was doing as habit) as the product kills bacteria as it dries (from a student who owns a restaurant and uses Steramine daily).
    So after it has dried (and thus completed its course) can you rinse it out? I would hate to have too much exposure to any chemical if not necessary.

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by stunsm  View Original Post
    Sorry to hi-jack, but does anyone have any experience with StarSan? I always have some pre-mixed, it would be handy if I could use it on the Rebreather as well. The spec sheet shows that it's corrosive and shouldn't be inhaled, but the same warnings appear on Relyon in the undiluted form if I'm not mistaken.
    http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-...ar-San-HB4.pdf
    It sounds like pretty nasty stuff from the danger section but like you I couldn't tell if those warnings were for the undiluted chemical or diluted, or if it even matters. The fact that brewing vats require a "potable water" rinse of equipment prior to use was a deal breaker as far as I was concerned. I don't want to have to rinse my gear before I use it too!
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by saveourseas  View Original Post
    It sounds like pretty nasty stuff from the danger section but like you I couldn't tell if those warnings were for the undiluted chemical or diluted, or if it even matters. The fact that brewing vats require a "potable water" rinse of equipment prior to use was a deal breaker as far as I was concerned. I don't want to have to rinse my gear before I use it too!
    I appreciate that someone looked at effectiveness of clearners. However, most people don't know that Betadine has to dry in order to kill microbes. So instead people keep lathering it one and then wipe it off. (I see that all the time).

I think that Steramine is used in the "food industry" is a bit misleading. Then again, one should not assume it is food safe!

Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    So after it has dried (and thus completed its course) can you rinse it out? I would hate to have too much exposure to any chemical if not necessary.
    I would say yes, but they also act to suppress mold spores which just love, love, love our breathing hoses and dark counterlungs so my opinion would be that the benefits outweigh the exposure risks (but check back with me in 10 years!)

From Wikipedia:

"Quaternary ammonium compounds have also been shown to have antimicrobial activity. [4] Certain quaternary ammonium compounds, especially those containing long alkyl chains, are used as antimicrobials and disinfectants….
    Also good against fungi, amoeba, and enveloped viruses,[5] quats act by disrupting the cell membrane. Quaternary ammonium compounds are lethal to a wide variety of organisms except endospores, Mycobacterium tuberculosis and non-enveloped viruses."

But here is the best part of Quats: They're a floor polish AND a dessert topping!
    "Quaternary ammonium salts are used as disinfectants, surfactants, fabric softeners, and as antistatic agents (e.g. in shampoos). In liquid fabric softeners, the chloride salts are often used. Spermicidal jellies also contain quaternary ammonium salts."

Again, the benefits outweigh the risks
    A is A

Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    I appreciate that someone looked at effectiveness of clearners. However, most people don't know that Betadine has to dry in order to kill microbes. So instead people keep lathering it one and then wipe it off. (I see that all the time).

I think that Steramine is used in the "food industry" is a bit misleading. Then again, one should not assume it is food safe!
    Here is the citation I used. If my statement above..."used in the restaurant industry as a final sterilization agent after washing. Plates are dipped in the solution and then allowed to air dry." is easily misinterpreted as being used to sterilize food or "food safe", then my fault completely:

Again, from Wikipedia:
    "Quaternary ammonium salts are popular chemicals used in foodservice industry as sanitizing agents"
    Quaternary ammonium cation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quats are NOT (as far as I know) used to clean food prior to preparation.
    Last edited by saveourseas; 11th June 2012 at 17:23.
    A is A

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast