+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Possible minor bend? Advice sought

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Re: Possible minor bend? Advice sought

Quote Originally Posted by toe  View Original Post
    So Highland Park is ok then
    Highland Park is the way to go as you know
    I still would distinguish with dive profiles and deco obligations with behaviour before and after the dive..
    and yet at Highland Park times we didn't go too deep nor with that much deco obigation.. If I remeber well for me 15 min was max..
    and no 100 m dive

Anyhow my point was more related to when you are already concerned about your hydration and alcohol which results in not drinking any alcohol already for 36 hrs. prior why then risking drinking some after..

Personally I do no hydration issues in relation to alcohol so Highland Park provides plenty of fluid
    But always plenty of water before hitting the bunk, during the day and after the dive before hitting any bar
    As well if you remember I always had my water with it

And BTW what's wrong with a little hyprocrat here and then

RBW Member nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr's Avatar
    meg apecs 2.7 w/sw

I'd recommend Penderyn over highland park, but then it is Saint David's Day.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by nickbr  View Original Post
    I'd recommend Penderyn over highland park, but then it is Saint David's Day.
    Well you know up at the Orkneys they don't dig anything else from Scotch that much especially when it'd come to Welsh Whisky

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by apitkin  View Original Post
    I disagree with not relevant. Whether the planned deco is enough or not is hard to say, but to call it (even mainly) voodoo and bullshit is a little excessive.
    If you think the "science" of human decompression for middle aged and older males diving trimix on recreational CCR is anything other than Voodoo and BS I'd suggest you revisit the subject and do some research.

I don't mean to sound mean but so many divers assume that because they bought a computer or paid £1000's for training that the decompression systems they've been taught are Facts, this couldn't be more wrong.

"Successful decompression" is something of a nonsense, its like saying your a Successful Smoker if you don't get lung cancer after one packet

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    If you think the "science" of human decompression for middle aged and older males diving trimix on recreational CCR is anything other than Voodoo and BS I'd suggest you revisit the subject and do some research.
    Just because the research that has been done used younger individuals as the research subjects does not automatically invalidate it. It may require that you use caution when extrapolating to an older age group, and especially when extrapolating to dives that are well outwith the scope of the original research.

To discount it completely is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. In the absence of anything else, imperfect science is all we have. As it happens, I have done some research in the area, and not the kind that you mean.

Andy

RBW Member smellydiver is an unknown quantity at this point smellydiver's Avatar

As some ones already said, the swelling on the chest sounds like a lymphatic bend. A couple of years a go i started getting these on every dive below 70 metres, below 90 metres i'd also have achey shoulders amd had swelling on the backs of my thieys (cant spell that!) and on the backs on my triceps. I went to the chamber for the first one i had and did a standard table 6 (?) and had several follow up treatments but it made no difference. The swelling and 'odd' feeling would last 2-4 days and then go away on its own.
    I met loads of people who have had this and just seemed to eaither live with it or stop deep diving. I seem to have managed to get over mine though (so far!). I belive it was being corsed by having very tight shoulder and latrual mussels. I ended up having sports massage and could feel a massive difference in day to day life. I just didn't realise how tight they were. Last year i did about 30 gas dives below 70 metres and had no probs.

Hope that helps

George

PS the lymphatic bends were not your 'standard type' in that i didnt have skin bends and it was not hot to touch. Just a swollen boob that felt 'odd'.

PPS. had a PFO test etc too and all came back clear.
    Last edited by smellydiver; 2nd March 2012 at 14:34.

RBW Member matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram's Avatar
    inspiration

I'm pleased your OK and I agree, virtually everyone I know gets this (or a rash) from time to time and just ignores it - they usually keep diving too. I've never had it.

My key observation is you say you end up fatigued after your deep dives. I used to get this. I resolved it totally by making sure I had enough helium (for 100m 10/52 is OK IMHO, but you could consider moving to 8/60). I also make sure the SP is high - 1.3 for down/bottom and 1.5 for way up (I am no longer concerned about CNS up to about 150%). I also stopped flushing to low helium mixes (which you didn't mention so I assume you do not do it either, this used to be fashionable though). This "regime" has made a huge difference for me, I actually feel more awake after a deep dive than ever before.

I think this is worth working on. Just my opinion.

Regards
    Matt.

RBW Member ronm is an unknown quantity at this point ronm's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Just read this right thro Nick but you will see by the variety of replies that you will prob never know if it was a bend. Most of this is really speculation and so to be honest in future the best option is always to treat as a bend and once you get in the chamber you will very likely get the true answer and no risk. Always an easy reply of course until it happens to you. Take care.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3