+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Possible minor bend? Advice sought

RBW Member nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr's Avatar
    meg apecs 2.7 w/sw

Re: Possible minor bend? Advice sought

Hi Everyone

The doc (my GP) and the dive doc at the hospital agree that it's not dive related luckily. Some sort of damage to my shoulder, probably related the the kite surfing injury that aggravated the snowboarding injury. Basically, I need to take up basket weaving for a while.

I just want to take this opportunity to say thanks to the community here at RBW. To have access to such a huge range of excellent divers and thinkers is a real privilege. Curt and Co. do a great job looking after this resource for us all. Thanks again guys, hugely appreciated.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Well it all went good then :)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post
    ..except to say that perhaps you should consider something other than beer for rehydration. Other post dive stratigies might include O2.
    I agree to this.. Especially since you had prepared for the dive not drinking any alcohol for 36 hours, why do you go for an after dive beer? It is in fact well know that alcohol increases your risk of DCS..
    At the Global Diving Conference in Kiel this year there was an interesting presentation on beneficial effects of excersize and Sauna before diving..
    Something to look into as it really reduced overall bubbles..
    Yet it maintains of course that both is not good after dive..

RBW Member nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr's Avatar
    meg apecs 2.7 w/sw

Yup, true, suitable chastised.

New Member Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell's Avatar

Hello Nick,

Just to cause further confusion, I would say that this was most likely a case of musculoskeletal and lymphatic DCS; the key observation being the swelling of your breast. If you ask yourself if you have seen that sort of unusual superficial regional swelling in association with a simple mechanical soft tissue shoulder / chest injury before then I bet the answer would be no.

Your case speaks to the uncomfortable truth that DCS can and does occur even when dives are performed in a text book fashion. This is especially true of deep technical dives and anecdotally I hear that the sort of symptoms you experienced are ignored or discounted by divers very frequently. It also speaks to the fact that many such cases resolve spontaneously without recompression therapy. However, the danger of not being assessed medically is that there may be other potentially more serious problems that are not so obvious to the diver themselves but which can be unmasked by a skilled examiner, and which you would not want to leave untreated.

Simon M

meg apecs 2.7 w/sw

Thanks Simon, I was hoping you'd bring your knowledge and experience to this.

You are correct. I've not seen this occur in the past even after long periods of intense exercise.

I've completely recovered and have done a couple of shallow OC dives since with no problem. Not sure when the next deeper dive will be, but I'll make sure to use an even more conservative profile, rehydrate with water not beer, and if the symptoms recur I'll go straight to the dive doc at the chamber.

Thanks again

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

I find it a little troubling that you are usually fatigued after a deep dive, especially after what i assume, was an easy wall dive. unusal fatigue may mean you need to take a look at your deco algorithm in use and and add some conservatism.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Dive profile? In this case not relevant

Deco profile that went to plan? In most cases not relevant as its all mainly voodoo and bullshit

Back gas? Id assume the profile is planned around the dill so it shouldn't be relevant

Relevant stuff includes your present fitness levels, hydration, fatigue, work load during and post dive electrolite levels etc etc.

The sad truth is there are very few if any constants.

I have had rapid ascent dives that should 100% have put me in the pot which had no effect. I have done aggressive deco on long (for me) deco dives of 180 -240mins and not been bent and i have witnessed divers getting helicoptered off the dive boat having followed a deco profile my Nan would have felt comfortable with on a dive id do as a kit test.

I once unloaded the dive boat and loaded the car with my dive kit and drove home from Plymouth with an increasing pain in my left elbow and shoulder. By the time i got back home (4 hours+) I could barley move my left arm.

Under any post dive circumstance id have been driving straight to Whips Cross hyperbaric center but as it was the dive had been blown out so all I had done was load kit onto the dive boat and off again.

At age 48 I ache after most dives and i often suffer bruising from my dive harness. I am usually knackered post dive and often suffer headaches.

Sadly this is all old age and fitness related.

However my single most valuable contribution to this thread is, if in doubt go the the local hyperbaric center and get checked out.

Often even they wont know and they will pop you in a chamber just to see if you improve (I have had this twice)

On the up side even if your not bent, a couple of houris of hyperbaric 02 leaves you feeling great :D

In the UK this is all part of the National Health service so its free. Regardless if I had cover from insurance and felt there was a possibility of a bend, Id opt for the chamber first and worry about the rest later

Ill admit I don't get excited about aches and pains or tiredness (perhaps i should) but anything that feels odd or unusual, Ill get help for.

My last trip to the pot was because i felt numbness in my face two days after a 50m dive.

Turned out to be Carbon Monoxide poisoning but at least i was in the right place for treatment.

ATB

Mark

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    Dive profile? In this case not relevant

Deco profile that went to plan? In most cases not relevant as its all mainly voodoo and bullshit

Back gas? Id assume the profile is planned around the dill so it shouldn't be relevant

Relevant stuff includes your present fitness levels, hydration, fatigue, work load during and post dive electrolite levels etc etc.

However my single most valuable contribution to this thread is, if in doubt go the the local hyperbaric center and get checked out.
    I disagree with not relevant. Whether the planned deco is enough or not is hard to say, but to call it (even mainly) voodoo and bullshit is a little excessive.

However, it is true that the only way to avoid getting bent is not to get in the water.

I agree with Simon that this is probably DCS. These kinds of symptoms are often ignored or explained away. As one crusty old US Navy DMO often observed in this context: "Denial ain't just a river in Africa". (Capt P.Hunt, MD, MC USN (Retd)).

RBW Member toe will become famous soon enough toe will become famous soon enough toe will become famous soon enough toe will become famous soon enough toe's Avatar
    rEvo 111 hybrid

Vision Inspo,Evo+, classic

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    Well it all went good then :)

I agree to this.. Especially since you had prepared for the dive not drinking any alcohol for 36 hours, why do you go for an after dive beer? It is in fact well know that alcohol increases your risk of DCS..
    At the Global Diving Conference in Kiel this year there was an interesting presentation on beneficial effects of excersize and Sauna before diving..
    Something to look into as it really reduced overall bubbles..
    Yet it maintains of course that both is not good after dive..
    So Highland Park is ok then

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by toe  View Original Post
    So Highland Park is ok then
    I find that by the time you have drank enough to rehydrate, you don't really care about the pain.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast