+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Possible minor bend? Advice sought

RBW Member nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr's Avatar
    meg apecs 2.7 w/sw

Possible minor bend? Advice sought

Hi all

I completed a 349 foot dive yesterday without incident. All decompression obligation was met and no problems were noted after the dive. I entered the water well hydrated and hadn't consumed any alcohol for about 36 hours before the dive. I don't smoke, am 38 years old and I'm generally pretty healthy.

Details of the dive (approx as I don't have my computer to hand - I am in the office)
    • Dive completed on ISC Megalodon APECS 2.7 w/ hardwired Shearwater
    • Run time was about 160 minutes
    • Back gas was 10/50 (I didn't use any bailout so I won't list it here, but the plan and bailout was worked out using V-Planner on Friday night).
    • Bottom time was about 10 minutes at 349 feet
    • SP on descent was 0.7, sp at target depth and ascent was 1.2
    • SP on shallow deco remained at 1.2 but I flushed the loop with O2 on my last stop and manually kept flushing every 5 minutes or so to keep loop PP02 up at about 1.3/1.4

Water was clear and warm - 27 degrees. I wore a 3 mil full suit and a couple of lavacore tops and a hood. No current to speak of.

It's worth noting that I did the dive with Manta lungs, and to get them to sit correctly without ballooning I wear my one piece harness pretty tight - in fact I had a bit of trouble getting out of the rig when the dive was completed. When it's on, it's tight but not uncomfortable and doesn't restrict movement any more than normal.

After the dive my buddy and I stripped our gear then had a couple of beers and I went home. I was pretty tired - I usually am after a deep dive, so I had a nap until the wife got home from work. I got up, had another beer (just the one) and then had a bath as I was a aching a little in my shoulders. Again, this isn't that unusual for me after a deep dive.

I woke up this morning and my right breast (I'm a bloke) is a bit swollen and tender and my upper right arm is also tender but not swollen. My shoulders are still a little achy but nothing to worry about I don't think - I carry an old rotator cuff injury from some years ago that often gets a bit sore. There is no marbling or any other discoloration on the skin.

I don't appear to have any other symptoms and feel OK apart from the tenderness.

I've done some reading and as far as I can tell it either isn't a bend at all, or might just be a lymph node bend. I spoke to my dive buddy (a highly rated tech instructor who knows what he's doing) this morning and he basically agreed that it probably wasn't a bend but if the symptoms persist today to contact DAN.

The question is, if this were you, would you call DAN? I am covered by them and have never had cause to contact them in the past as I've never even suspected a bend.

Thanks and safe diving

Nick

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: Possible minor bend? Advice sought

Nick, what deco profile?

GF or VPM?
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Chuck Norris Diving Team scuba_Mike is on a distinguished road scuba_Mike is on a distinguished road scuba_Mike's Avatar
    rEvoIII- rMS / APinspo&Triton

rEvoII-mCCR Boris & Sentinel

Hi

"I completed a 349 foot ....Back gas was 10/50..."

Is that your dil?
    Rebreather support in the Alps
    www.recycleur.eu

RBW Member nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr will become famous soon enough nickbr's Avatar
    meg apecs 2.7 w/sw

Hi Paul - it was VPM-B. I'd need to check the conservancy

Hi Mike - Yes, 10/50 was the dil

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Just one thought. Not everything that happens after a dive is DCS. Perhaps just a pulled pectoral muscle or shoulder girdle. Musculoskeletal injury would tend to show up after the resting period too. Just a thought.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

meg apecs 2.7 w/sw

Hi Ken

I spoke to a friend who is an A&E nurse and she said the same. I've pulled plenty of muscles in the past but this feels different. It's like there's some fluid there.

RBW Member azjohnnyo is an unknown quantity at this point azjohnnyo's Avatar
    I don't dive CCR...yet...but I would call DAN right away. That's what we pay for and they are really good at what they do. If you have an old injury, I have heard that this area may be slightly more susceptible to DCS. It cannot hurt to call them!!! I know people who have done EVERYTHING right and still get bent. It's not always the profile. Good luck!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.562636,-112.258814
    AZJohnnyO
    "What if the Hokey Pokey "IS" what it's all about?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Years ago when I had a hit and was in denial, the clincher for me was when I had a hot shower and the dull pain in my shoulder got much worse. A table 6 chamber ride helped me.

I can't give advice about DCS except to say that perhaps you should consider something other than beer for rehydration. Other post dive stratigies might include O2.

Best of luck,

Peter

RBW Member user is on a distinguished road user is on a distinguished road user's Avatar
    Inspo vis

after I suffered from a bend the main test that they did before getting in the pot, during the treatment, after the pot and before getting discharged is the following:

• stand up, bare footed.
    • one foot in front of the other, heel to toe
    • cross arms and close eyes.
    • stand upright for 1min.

this is the main test to test for the bends I was told, I had a minor bend in my elbow, got on O2 prior to getting the copter to the pot, pain went away.

I lasted for 4 seconds doing the test before going into the pot, during my treatment it got slowly better. in the pot we ascended to 6m and unless I could stay vertical doing the test for 1min they would not finish the treatment, then also had to do the test continually for the next 24hrs in hospital. It would seem that the inner ear is affected badly if you get bent.

I had pre-exsiting damage to my elbow which was a factor in the bend
    Last edited by user; 20th February 2012 at 19:44.

RBW Member José Marques will become famous soon enough José Marques will become famous soon enough José Marques will become famous soon enough José Marques's Avatar
    Sentinel and Ouroboros

Inspiration

Hi Nick,

In my opinion you should call DAN and tell them. probably 1 or 2 chamber sesons just to clean all bublles.

I had skin bends twice and sometimes the simptons are not easy to see.

cheers and keep diving

Jose
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbr  View Original Post
    Hi all

I completed a 349 foot dive yesterday without incident. All decompression obligation was met and no problems were noted after the dive. I entered the water well hydrated and hadn't consumed any alcohol for about 36 hours before the dive. I don't smoke, am 38 years old and I'm generally pretty healthy.

Details of the dive (approx as I don't have my computer to hand - I am in the office)
    • Dive completed on ISC Megalodon APECS 2.7 w/ hardwired Shearwater
    • Run time was about 160 minutes
    • Back gas was 10/50 (I didn't use any bailout so I won't list it here, but the plan and bailout was worked out using V-Planner on Friday night).
    • Bottom time was about 10 minutes at 349 feet
    • SP on descent was 0.7, sp at target depth and ascent was 1.2
    • SP on shallow deco remained at 1.2 but I flushed the loop with O2 on my last stop and manually kept flushing every 5 minutes or so to keep loop PP02 up at about 1.3/1.4
    Water was clear and warm - 27 degrees. I wore a 3 mil full suit and a couple of lavacore tops and a hood. No current to speak of.

It's worth noting that I did the dive with Manta lungs, and to get them to sit correctly without ballooning I wear my one piece harness pretty tight - in fact I had a bit of trouble getting out of the rig when the dive was completed. When it's on, it's tight but not uncomfortable and doesn't restrict movement any more than normal.

After the dive my buddy and I stripped our gear then had a couple of beers and I went home. I was pretty tired - I usually am after a deep dive, so I had a nap until the wife got home from work. I got up, had another beer (just the one) and then had a bath as I was a aching a little in my shoulders. Again, this isn't that unusual for me after a deep dive.

I woke up this morning and my right breast (I'm a bloke) is a bit swollen and tender and my upper right arm is also tender but not swollen. My shoulders are still a little achy but nothing to worry about I don't think - I carry an old rotator cuff injury from some years ago that often gets a bit sore. There is no marbling or any other discoloration on the skin.

I don't appear to have any other symptoms and feel OK apart from the tenderness.

I've done some reading and as far as I can tell it either isn't a bend at all, or might just be a lymph node bend. I spoke to my dive buddy (a highly rated tech instructor who knows what he's doing) this morning and he basically agreed that it probably wasn't a bend but if the symptoms persist today to contact DAN.

The question is, if this were you, would you call DAN? I am covered by them and have never had cause to contact them in the past as I've never even suspected a bend.

Thanks and safe diving

Nick