+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Historical information wanted Please

RBW Member madagascar is an unknown quantity at this point madagascar's Avatar

Historical information wanted Please

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I'm not a rebreather user myself, but I am interested in the historical development of designs, manufacture and techniques of rebreathers.

I would like to trace the source of the information contained in the following quote from one of your forums:

"Hans Hass used to deliberately start a deep dive with a counterlung full of air to lower the O2 partial pressure at 60 to 70 feet! And with no O2 sensors!"

I have seen other posts that suggest that Hass used this technique. I have looked in all my books by Hass (UK editions) but cannot find a mention of this technique. I am aware that versions of his books published outside the UK may be different in detail, also that he may have written it in a magazine or journal article

To put this into context, I have a copy of a 1964 report by US Bureau of Mines that describes a protocol for using the McCaa mine rescue apparatus (O2) in caissons, (thus at high pressure), and I believe that the UK RN Physiological Lab did some work along the same lines in the later 60s, but it would seem that Hans Hass preceded them both.

Any helpful information would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

RBW Member schwerve is an unknown quantity at this point schwerve's Avatar

Re: Historical information wanted Please

Lotsa luck! Here's how this thread will likely go (I'd be happy to be proven wrong, of course):

- Neanderthals who hold the opinion that rebreathers without O2 sensors are hellspawn, and that using an O2-only rebreather below 5m is suicide, will bitch and moan that sharing such information with anyone other than the intelligentsia is tantamount to murder.
    - People who have written details as to how Hass did it won't post such details here, due to legal liability concerns, as well as the aforementioned Neanderthal behavior. They may, however, send the info through a different channel.

RBW Member madagascar is an unknown quantity at this point madagascar's Avatar

Re: Historical information wanted Please

Schwerve, Thanks for the tip. I am happy to confirm that I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in using or recommending this behaviour to anyone, man beast or neanderthal.
    Hey!, we've evolved since then (haven't we?)

Nevertheless, if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful

+ Reply to Thread