+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Top Loading MK15 Scrubber

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

Top Loading MK15 Scrubber

Further to the last thread on this forum (holes in scrubber etc)I've started this as I should have. A MK15 scrubber design thread.

I'm building a prototype of a MK15 scrubber that can be filled easily from the top. As a side bonus if you wanted to do a short dive you could also give it a part fill.

It's based on the Scrubber I built for Marc (see MK15/BMR500 hybrid). His can be filled and packed in about 5 min.

Here's my work in progress.

Scrubber open with underside of lid. Note the inside of the scrubber has all the raised standoffs to put a Porex membrane against. I have stainless steel mesh I'll use for testing because I'm sure my test pilot does not want me to steal the porex from his scrubber and trim it to fit just yet. The scrubber will get a final coat of epoxy to seal it all up. The white haze color is from final machining and sanding. both open.jpg

Here is the lid from the top. I've emulated the little smarties that keep the foam pad off the top of the scrubber.
    Lid top.jpg

Here is a view of the base of the scrubber. After the last short discussion on the hole layout I've used the stock layout and enlarged the holes slightly. (very little - 7/16ths inch up to half inch (8/16ths)or thereabouts). The lid is held down with 4 stainless steel bolts that have short thumbwheel nuts to clamp it all down. I will start with a foam insert under the lid against the sorb and under the stainless mesh to give the scrubber media a little bit of compression. To clarify the scrubber when packed will be comprised of:
    1.stainless steel mesh inside at the bottom to hold the absorbent off the base of the scrubber.
    2. Absorbent
    3. Compressible foam layer
    4. Stainless steel mesh to hold absorbent off the lid
    5.Lid in place tightened down with brass thumbwheel nuts.
    Under scbr.jpg

You can see the step in the center where the o-ring seals and the sensor bay narrows slightly.

I would love to try an external o-ring seal to do away with the rubber band but that may have to do with V2.5 or somewhere down the line like that.

I'm open to comments, concerns and guidance. I would like to do a production run once this has been tweaked and if there is interest.

Cheers,
    Sandy

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy  View Original Post
    Further to the last thread on this forum (holes in scrubber etc)I've started this as I should have. A MK15 scrubber design thread.

I'm building a prototype of a MK15 scrubber that can be filled easily from the top. As a side bonus if you wanted to do a short dive you could also give it a part fill.

It's based on the Scrubber I built for Marc (see MK15/BMR500 hybrid). His can be filled and packed in about 5 min.

Here's my work in progress.

Scrubber open with underside of lid. Note the inside of the scrubber has all the raised standoffs to put a Porex membrane against. I have stainless steel mesh I'll use for testing because I'm sure my test pilot does not want me to steal the porex from his scrubber and trim it to fit just yet. The scrubber will get a final coat of epoxy to seal it all up. The white haze color is from final machining and sanding. Attachment 26959

Here is the lid from the top. I've emulated the little smarties that keep the foam pad off the top of the scrubber.
    Attachment 26960

Here is a view of the base of the scrubber. After the last short discussion on the hole layout I've used the stock layout and enlarged the holes slightly. (very little - 7/16ths inch up to half inch (8/16ths)or thereabouts). The lid is held down with 4 stainless steel bolts that have short thumbwheel nuts to clamp it all down. I will start with a foam insert under the lid against the sorb and under the stainless mesh to give the scrubber media a little bit of compression. To clarify the scrubber when packed will be comprised of:
    1.stainless steel mesh inside at the bottom to hold the absorbent off the base of the scrubber.
    2. Absorbent
    3. Compressible foam layer
    4. Stainless steel mesh to hold absorbent off the lid
    5.Lid in place tightened down with brass thumbwheel nuts.
    Attachment 26961

You can see the step in the center where the o-ring seals and the sensor bay narrows slightly.

I would love to try an external o-ring seal to do away with the rubber band but that may have to do with V2.5 or somewhere down the line like that.

I'm open to comments, concerns and guidance. I would like to do a production run once this has been tweaked and if there is interest.

Cheers,
    Sandy

Very, very interesting. Seems more than just a little bit remenisicent of a 15.5 scrubber. Will watch development with hopes for success!

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Re: Top Loading MK15 Scrubber

Very nice Sandy. I'll definitely keep an eye on this with great hopes for your success. As far as I know, I'm the only diver with a hybrid unit (15 lower 15.5 upper- Billy Deans old rig) so if you want pictures or info PM me with your email and I'd be happy to send some beta over. I've been working on it for an upcoming dive expedition so it will be easy to take pictures for you.

-Kevin

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

I would add that pictures do not to justice to to the level of craftsmanship Sandy has.

His work in composites and carbon fibre is professional grade and flawless.

S. Marc

RBW Member Bosh is an unknown quantity at this point Bosh's Avatar
    Atlantis mCCR

2 gas Atlantis SCR, Homebuilt

Hi Sandy

Looks good

I have a question/concern. Materials in a scrubber ought to be suitable for food.
    Also in case some amount of caustic water be present. What is your thought on that ?

I know that properly mixed and cured epoxy is supposed to be edible, though hard to chew

Best regards

Bo

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Very very nice. Count me in for one.

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Nice work! Looks a lot like a 15.5/16 scrubber. I'd be careful about using it without the porex though. Obviously the porex distributes the gas over the entire scrubber bed, so trying without it could lead to very premature breakthrough. Also, on the 15.5 top, they designed "wings" to keep the sponge away from the top of the dome and also use a screen. The 15 has the sponge attached to the dome. For this application, I would probably use the standard 15 sponge attached to the inside of the top of the dome rather than a sponge like the 15.5.

Again, looks very promising.

Aloha,
    Charlie

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

I've got the prototype finished and out for testing. Epoxy is full foodsafe and stable. There should be no issues with it. (polyester resin is used a lot for fiberglass and is nasty toxic and offgasses forever. Plus it stinks. Not what I use)

The stainless steel mesh is in place at the bottom and top to do the same job as the Porex in keeping the scrubber bed off the base and top of the scrubber. (no hydrophobic value though) The base of the inside of the scrubber and underside of the lid have small raised ribs which keep the mesh a few millimeters off the side and allow the entire sides of the scrubber media to inflow and outflow gas.

Here you can see the scrubber open to the inside. The mesh is in place at the bottom and the lid is beside with the top layer of mesh.
    insid open.jpg

The scrubber here is empty but you can see the fit of the mesh. Its really stiff stainless screen and is quite hard to bend or flex.top scrim.jpg

This is the top view of the assembled scrubber.
    top assmbld.jpg

Bottom Viewbotm assmbld.jpg

And a final picture of it in the MK15.
    Its a nice fit on the sensor bay and the retaining ring fits perfect in the center as well.in place.jpg

I'll have my buddy post some comments after he's done some trials.

Sandy

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Awesome. I need one...

The fact that the lid can recess means it should be even easier to pack than a 15.5 scrubber...

RBW Member SlicerDicer is on a distinguished road SlicerDicer is on a distinguished road SlicerDicer's Avatar
    MK15

Inspiration Vision

Doesn't the rim need to be sealed? Would this not be problematic?

Please forgive my ignorance if I am wrong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast