+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mini for tall divers?

Steve Rich stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm's Avatar
    rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Mini for tall divers?

I'm looking into a travel friendly rebreather, and the rEvo mini seems to be the one. After talking with my friendly neighborhood rEvo dealer, I've learned that the the extendable backplate should take care of the lower back pain I had experienced on another unit, but I would like to hear about the experience of others. I'm 6' tall, and almost exclusively dive dry, is anyone of similar stature diving dry with a Mini, and what do you think?

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: Mini for tall divers?

I am 6' tall and dive a mini. I dive both wet and dry and don't see any issues with it in either exposure protection. I started out with the extendable plate and then designed a stand to replace it.

I don't have any back issues unless I am doing a very long (4hr) dive, and then it is just a minor ache and nothing severe.

I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Chuck Norris Diving Team scuba_Mike is on a distinguished road scuba_Mike is on a distinguished road scuba_Mike's Avatar
    rEvoIII- rMS / APinspo&Triton

rEvoII-mCCR Boris & Sentinel

Hi,
    I am 5'9, 180cm.

Had a standard and now a mini. And I love it. I always dive a drysuit.

If I could I would like a micro. It was not out when I order my mini.

Regards Mike
    Rebreather support in the Alps
    www.recycleur.eu

RBW Member djones is an unknown quantity at this point djones's Avatar

6 feet tall is that like a fish stiory.Asking about revos I like it.Just hydroed and o2 cleaned my tanks getting ready.maybe we will do a 2 fer on the revos

Steve Rich stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm's Avatar
    rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by djones  View Original Post
    6 feet tall is that like a fish stiory.Asking about revos I like it.Just hydroed and o2 cleaned my tanks getting ready.maybe we will do a 2 fer on the revos
    Welcome to the dark side, I knew I'd see you over here eventually! I don't think the rEvo is for you, but I know a pretty sweet KISS that would be perfect for you! So what, 2 more months?
    Last edited by stunsm; 5th February 2012 at 18:12.

RBW Member djones is an unknown quantity at this point djones's Avatar

havent you gone outside lately.As soon as its warmer im good Im thinking it should be a early start.

RBW Member safagamarc is on a distinguished road safagamarc is on a distinguished road safagamarc's Avatar
    rEvo III, Sentinel, Evo, Inspi

Just got myself a new rEvo micro and dive both dry and wet in various environments from shallow rec, to cave and long duration openwater mixed dives. Never had a problem with the mini or micro and I'm 6'6ft. The cheese board is brilliant.

ATB,
    Marc

RBW Member FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

At 5'9", you know i'm a bit shorter than you Steve, so take this for what it's worth. I'm not doing the 4hr dives that Don's doing, more like 2hrs (dry), but after about 1 1/2hrs I do pull down the extendable plate. I wouldn't call it a back saver or anything, but it does help a bit. The extendable plate on me, comes down my butt so it should extend far enough to give some relief for you as well. Why not take a ride down to your friendly dealer? He might like you well enough to let you give it a try

Franco

rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by djones  View Original Post
    havent you gone outside lately.As soon as its warmer im good Im thinking it should be a early start.
    The air temp may be unseasonably warm, but I have no doubt that the water is still in the low to mid 30's...

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoC
    Why not take a ride down to your friendly dealer? He might like you well enough to let you give it a try
    See above!

Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Cant really comment since I am not a tall diver but I have a mini and I ended up removing the extendable plate and adding a stand. Takes few minutes to swap it back.

I think if the lungs are big enough and the plate is long enough or the stand is high enough then a mini should suit you well. May even help yoy trim out better with less weight lower down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast