+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: meg vs jj-ccr

Serious Swagelok Addict jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Satori PSCR

Re: meg vs jj-ccr

I own a JJ and the Meg was the only other serious contender on my list due to it's build construction. I thought the Manta lung may offer a nice alternative to the front mounted lungs which I wanted to avoid.

I did my training with Matt Partridge (techdivertraining) in Phuket and the other student doing his Mod1 course with me was on a Meg. Over the course of 6 days, we both got to have a really good indepth look at the Meg and the JJ.

Midway through my course it was so obvious to me that I'd made the right choice with the JJ as it was a lot simpler to set up, way easier to calibrate, easier to dive in a horizontal position. The Manta lung looked like a large pillow on the shoulders of my dive buddy and at the end of our course, he was wishing he'd done the JJ course instead.

I can vouch for Mathew Partridge as a very knowledgeable instructor who gives you all the need to knows and plenty of nice to knows. He is well organised, calm and articulate. If you don't get something, he takes the time to run through it as many times as you need to. Upon conclusion of my course, I felt confident enough to do dives to my MOD1 depth limit immediately and believe I came away with a very good understanding of both the Meg and the JJ.

The Meg is a great unit, the JJ suits my needs and style of diving a little more perfectly.

I have also swapped my JJ BOV for the Golem Shrimp as I just wasn't happy with the OC performance of the JJ BOV with it's detuned Air2 internals. If you retune it to where it breathes better, on hard inhalations, it forces gas out of the exhaust. JJ have now discontinued the JJ BOV and are working on their next version, which will no doubt solve this issue.

RBW Member Bubblemaster is an unknown quantity at this point Bubblemaster's Avatar
    ISC Megalodon CE

Draeger dolphin, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by AJ74  View Original Post
    hi great information on meg and jjccr
    i am in the process of getting a jjccr as it is a great unit and a lot of well respected friends and my instructor have highly recommended it over the meg.
    shearwater controller and price is great!

i live in australia and have an agent in sydney !
    but i am doing my training in phuket! holiday for wife as well as training for me!!
    also getting the wifey into the diving only took 2 years lol
    If you're instructor highly recommended the jj over the meg then there is something seriously wrong.
    Both are good units. Both are CE. The meg can also have a shearwater hardwired if you really want that. If the depth sensor gets damaged then it is a problem. So pure meg handsets will be much better.

But just flood both units and see which one will bring you back without problems. Guess everyone knows which rebreather can handle that situation.

Serious Swagelok Addict jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Satori PSCR

Of course, we all love our own units, and why not, we have invested our money and our life in them.

So worthy of a mention is:

The JJ has excellent flood recovery. The exhale lung is 4 litres with a pull dump in it, the Tee piece has a water trap to force water into the lung, where it can be easily dumped out.
    I did a full mouthpiece open and out of my mouth test in my pool and was able to go back on the loop, dump the water and continue without issue. Furthermore, the bottom of the scubber canister would tolerate another litre or so of water and then there is the hydrophobic scrims top and bottom of the scubber.
    All electronics are potted, if the solenoid dies, you can run it manually with the MAV.
    You can access the onboard O2 with a cheater reg using the MAV drive hose. You can plug DIL into the MAV.
    If the Shearwater dies and you have a backup computer running fixed PPO2 like most do, you can run it with the HUD, which shows you PPO2 of each cell in real time and is fully potted and independent of the Shearwater.

I think his instructors advice was spot on. The Meg is a great unit too and was the only other serious contender on my list, once I decided what I wanted in a unit, but I'm glad I went down the JJ path.

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by jasace  View Original Post
    Of course, we all love our own units, and why not, we have invested our money and our life in them.

So worthy of a mention is:

The JJ has excellent flood recovery. The exhale lung is 4 litres with a pull dump in it, the Tee piece has a water trap to force water into the lung, where it can be easily dumped out.
    I did a full mouthpiece open and out of my mouth test in my pool and was able to go back on the loop, dump the water and continue without issue. Furthermore, the bottom of the scubber canister would tolerate another litre or so of water and then there is the hydrophobic scrims top and bottom of the scubber.
    All electronics are potted, if the solenoid dies, you can run it manually with the MAV.
    You can access the onboard O2 with a cheater reg using the MAV drive hose. You can plug DIL into the MAV.
    If the Shearwater dies and you have a backup computer running fixed PPO2 like most do, you can run it with the HUD, which shows you PPO2 of each cell in real time and is fully potted and independent of the Shearwater.

I think his instructors advice was spot on. The Meg is a great unit too and was the only other serious contender on my list, once I decided what I wanted in a unit, but I'm glad I went down the JJ path.
    So has the Meg, as seen By CEO Leon Scamahorn at 60M And Not a Pool, Just saying..

I heard the JJ is also a great Rebreather, BUT so is the Meg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3