+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Next step

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

Re: Next step

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Something to be said about this! 300 dives over 10 years is about 30 dives a year? If you want to go to 200 feet, I recommend you do that on trimix and not just one extended range with air.

Diving a rebreather requires a bit of committment. That is not something you stick in the closet for a few months then pull out again, dust off, and go diving with it. Especially if you want to visit wrecks at 240 ft.

Just my thoughts.....
    I agree here. Its an expensive piece of equipment, but then again having it you may dive more. With the of the recreational program with rebreathers I think we will see more divers going to it just after open water with minimal dives and experience. Just don't cheat yourself on training and preparation. My second year of diving I had over 200 hundred dives, and at least 150 on a technical level with doubles and doing deco. Hell I owned a drysuit before I was certified. dont let the excitment blind you. I was one of those guys who went right to a technical approach from OW. I waited three years to go to rebreathers because I wanted the dive experience and understanding. Divng doubles or mixed gases and doing deco may be a better choice. You need to be mentally and physically ready. There is no fast track here and as I have said before it will take time before you get to 200 plus feet for diving. Even doing the 200 + dives takes preparation and planning and again experience. Not impossible, just step by step. I am not trying to talk you out of it, just letting you know, it's a whole new ball game. Opinions vary always will always have, Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress.
    Last edited by RSmith; 3rd February 2012 at 01:37.

RBW Member Liquid Pleasure is an unknown quantity at this point Liquid Pleasure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilt64  View Original Post
    Geat question - I've thought about that but the safety factor that I'm understanding comes with the rebreather - and the options - seem more sensible. There is a time factor involved in diving but the CCR seems more forgiving based on the deco you're willing to go through (and haul). I average a dive a week (I've ramped up in the last few with the interest), I understand the commitment - as I've heard in these forums - if you're going to dive CCR start as soon as you can. Most of what I'm interested in today lies in 200 - 240 feet, but tomorrow? Who knows? depends on what's there.
    I might get flamed for this but rebreather's are less forgiving..you need to be on you game with assembly, pre dive checks and need to dive it often. Otherwise, you can get hurt.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Pleasure  View Original Post
    I might get flamed for this but rebreather's are less forgiving..you need to be on you game with assembly, pre dive checks and need to dive it often. Otherwise, you can get hurt.
    I don't know who could possibly flame you for that.
    +1
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean's Avatar
    Meg

If it's what you want to do don't let people scare you off.
    You don't have to be interested in stupid deep dives or have to do 200+ dives a year to justify buying a CCR.
    I'll do a 30, 100, or 300 ft. dive and be happy I'm on CCR.
    If you do hypoxic trimix and/or cave yeah you'll really start to see the full potential of the technology, but they're a tool that can be whatever you want them to be. Half the reason I got into CCR was because I was interested in the technology.

RBW Member quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean's Avatar
    Meg

There are quite a few rebreathers out there that are capable to do what you want. I'd say if you're interested in front mounted counterlungs make the Meg one of the rebreathers you look at. If you're interested in back mounted lungs include the rEvo in the units you look at.
    Take that advice with a grain of salt as there are a lot of valid opinions out there. In the end it boils down to personal preference - you just have to find what yours is. The most important thing I'd say is to do some pool demos and see which rebreather feels best to you. You can do all the reading in the world, but you won't fully know until you feel the machine on your back.

RBW Member Liquid Pleasure is an unknown quantity at this point Liquid Pleasure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilt64  View Original Post
    Looking for some opinions and advice - planning to train this coming summer for extended range diving, mixed gas profiles etc. and am thinking about rebreathers. Most of my diving is for shipwrecks and I'd like to visit some that are 200 - 240 feet deep (no real interest in going deeper). I have 10 plus years and around 300 dives logged, diving at the recreational limits on singles with a pony back up, as much winter diving as summer (winter are all shore dives/through the ice).
    Which rebreather am I looking for?
    Quote Originally Posted by quickean  View Original Post
    If it's what you want to do don't let people scare you off.
    I don’t know if everyone is really scaring him off. I think it is more of “You dive 30 times per year, do you want to take on the investment (Expense), to find out after $10K - $15K this is not for you?” Not a scare tactic but rather a thought provoking question.
    Some good advice about getting some bailout 40’s and doing some deeper dives to see if it is everything what it is cracked up to be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2