+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Next step

RBW Member Hilt64 is an unknown quantity at this point Hilt64's Avatar
    none

Next step

Looking for some opinions and advice - planning to train this coming summer for extended range diving, mixed gas profiles etc. and am thinking about rebreathers. Most of my diving is for shipwrecks and I'd like to visit some that are 200 - 240 feet deep (no real interest in going deeper). I have 10 plus years and around 300 dives logged, diving at the recreational limits on singles with a pony back up, as much winter diving as summer (winter are all shore dives/through the ice).
    Which rebreather am I looking for?

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

Re: Next step

Welcome aboard!

No one can tell you what rebreather you want or need, you have to decide where your going with RB diving then choose what you feel is right. People will tell you what they use and why. A few important things to look at are, service, parts, training. Buy a rebreather you can have serviced close by, and can get parts for quickly and easily. Find an instructor as close by unless you have time to travel and the funds to do it. You wont be diving no 200-240 at the start, trust me it takes time so you will be in for a few course to get there. Its good to have people around you that dive the same unit for input, advice and mentored while on your journey. If you plan to travel, you may look for something light weight, or with a travel frame.

Nothing wrong with buying a used unit, you will find most Rebreather divers take care of their gear more than any other diver out there. Its not just an expensive investment also your life depends on it. You can do some try dives on a few different types of units and go from there. Take your time, research, read up and ask questions here. I bought an Inspo Evo and love it, but am impressed with many others as well. Lots of nice units out there.

Good Luck and Safe diving.

Asia's rEvo Gal :) Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline's Avatar
    rEvo X MFT mCCR

rEvo MFT/rMS, Micro II mCCR,

Welcome on board!

RBW Member EricD is an unknown quantity at this point EricD's Avatar
    rEvo III

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by RSmith  View Original Post
    Welcome aboard!

No one can tell you what rebreather you want or need, you have to decide where your going with Rebreather diving then choose what you feel is right. People will tell you what they use and why. A few important things to look at are, service, parts, training. Buy a rebreather you can have serviced close by, and can get parts for quickly and easily. Find an instructor as close by unless you have time to travel and the funds to do it. You wont be diving no 200-240 at the start, trust me it takes time so you will be in for a few course to get there. Its good to have people around you that dive the same unit for input, advice and mentored while on your journey. If you plan to travel, you may look for something light weight, or with a travel frame.

Nothing wrong with buying a used unit, you will find most Rebreather divers take care of their gear more than any other diver out there. Its not just an expensive investment also your life depends on it. You can do some try dives on a few different types of units and go from there. Take your time, research, read up and ask questions here. I bought an Inspo Evo and love it, but am impressed with many others as well. Lots of nice units out there.

This is good advice...I completely agree. I'd just add that your first decision is do you want an mCCR (KISS, rEvo, etc) or an eCCR (HammerHead, Meg, Inspo, etc). There is plenty of info on this board to help you make this initial decision. If you know anyone you trust who currently dives a rebreather (better yet, who has owned multiple units), talk with them to get their thoughts on the unit they dive; would they get the same unit or something else, and in general pick their brain with any other questions that are important to you.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Bob Sweeney bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi's Avatar
    KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

Welcome to the board! If there are rebreather divers in your area talk to them and see what they are diving. Having like units can be helpful! Where in northern MI are you? I'm down in the south west portion of MI. I like to travel up to northern MI for the shipwrecks!

RBW Member Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by RSmith  View Original Post
    Welcome aboard!

No one can tell you what rebreather you want or need, you have to decide where your going with Rebreather diving then choose what you feel is right. People will tell you what they use and why. A few important things to look at are, service, parts, training. Buy a rebreather you can have serviced close by, and can get parts for quickly and easily. Find an instructor as close by unless you have time to travel and the funds to do it. You wont be diving no 200-240 at the start, trust me it takes time so you will be in for a few course to get there. Its good to have people around you that dive the same unit for input, advice and mentored while on your journey. If you plan to travel, you may look for something light weight, or with a travel frame.

good advice.

Asking about which kind of rebreather usually gets a ton of replies enforcing whatever kind of rebreather that particular diver uses. It's people and there cars they love there own the the competition suck. So take what you read with a grain of salt. Get hands on with some units if you can. If there are any try dives within driving distance go so you can try some different units.

You will find that certain areas tend to have pockets of divers using one rebreather or another. There is an advantage to that in spare part and group knowledge for trouble shooting problems. There is tight little group of rEvo divers here in south florida and it sure is nice to be able to call up a buddy and get there input on some thing or there help if something is a little off, or borrow a spare part they might have and you don't.

Good luck.

none

Quote Originally Posted by bobmaggi  View Original Post
    Welcome to the board! If there are rebreather divers in your area talk to them and see what they are diving. Having like units can be helpful! Where in northern MI are you? I'm down in the south west portion of MI. I like to travel up to northern MI for the shipwrecks!
    Gaylord mailing address, I'm with you on the shipwrecks - that's what I enjoy most - I always make it up to the straits during the summer and dive the West coast around Charlevoix & TC along with inland lakes. I want to dive with Kroll & co and see some of the deeper wrecks off of Presque isle county once I get the equip. & training.
    Thanks everybody - I'm looking for a sense of user friendly/reliability shopping around - appreciate the input (everyone I know dives open circuit)

RBW Member Garethingham is an unknown quantity at this point Garethingham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilt64  View Original Post
    Looking for some opinions and advice - planning to train this coming summer for extended range diving, mixed gas profiles etc. and am thinking about rebreathers. Most of my diving is for shipwrecks and I'd like to visit some that are 200 - 240 feet deep (no real interest in going deeper). I have 10 plus years and around 300 dives logged, diving at the recreational limits on singles with a pony back up, as much winter diving as summer (winter are all shore dives/through the ice).
    Which rebreather am I looking for?
    Why not look at OC 1st? You still need the bailout bottles, the regs, the heated undergarments anyways. You are going to spend a fair bit of coin across the board, blending gas can be done cheaply and easily if you and some buddies and get smart about it.

The depths you are talking about are great OC depths, i have no problems doing 30mins at 75m with 15's, 2 x ali 80's and a 40 of 02.

Why introduce the extra risk, cost, maintenance and complexity. You said you didn't want to go deeper than 240ft, so whats the drive for a unit?

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by Garethingham  View Original Post
    Why not look at OC 1st? You still need the bailout bottles, the regs, the heated undergarments anyways. You are going to spend a fair bit of coin across the board, blending gas can be done cheaply and easily if you and some buddies and get smart about it.

The depths you are talking about are great OC depths, i have no problems doing 30mins at 75m with 15's, 2 x ali 80's and a 40 of 02.

Why introduce the extra risk, cost, maintenance and complexity. You said you didn't want to go deeper than 240ft, so whats the drive for a unit?
    Something to be said about this! 300 dives over 10 years is about 30 dives a year? If you want to go to 200 feet, I recommend you do that on trimix and not just one extended range with air.

Diving a rebreather requires a bit of committment. That is not something you stick in the closet for a few months then pull out again, dust off, and go diving with it. Especially if you want to visit wrecks at 240 ft.

Just my thoughts.....

none

Quote Originally Posted by Garethingham  View Original Post

Geat question - I've thought about that but the safety factor that I'm understanding comes with the rebreather - and the options - seem more sensible. There is a time factor involved in diving but the CCR seems more forgiving based on the deco you're willing to go through (and haul). I average a dive a week (I've ramped up in the last few with the interest), I understand the commitment - as I've heard in these forums - if you're going to dive CCR start as soon as you can. Most of what I'm interested in today lies in 200 - 240 feet, but tomorrow? Who knows? depends on what's there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast