+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MX-Z mCCR Side-Mount/BackMount update

RBW Member andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis's Avatar
    UTD MX Series

MX-Z mCCR Side-Mount/BackMount update

Guys

I just uploaded a video blog UTD Video Blog MX-Z Rebreather Side-Mount or Backmount - Unified Team Diving explaining in more detail the MX-Z mCCR rebreather, specifically in the back mount configuration. At DEMA we showed the system in Side-Mount Configuration and RBW did a very nice video (thanks again), but after getting many emails asking for the explanation on the back mount, I thought I would do another vblog going into more details about the back mount configuration and how versatile it is.

What I really love most about the MX-Z mCCR configuration is that it combines the MX Rebreather concepts with the Z-Side-mount diving concepts. This makes it consistent and compatible with the UTD Covenants (UTD/DIR approach to diving) and yet very versatile. One can dive it in a recreational setting, weighing less than 35lbs/17kgs including all O2 and bailout tanks, and yet easily scale it up to full technical, trimix, capable of depths beyond 400'/120m, by simply carrying more bailout. That is all that is needed. One could even "stage" a cave with bailout tanks of bottom/deco gas, simply plugging them in as needed, allowing for full functionality of the mCCR Rebreather or even using it as a PSCR for bailout or going to full OC bailout. The nice part about incorporating the Z-System into the MX system is that we are able to keep full functionality of the rebreather or the Open Circuit bailout -UTD/DIR - while using any of the bailout tanks. This eliminating the need to carry large bailout tanks.

You can even switch between back-mount and side-mount in 30 seconds. You simply switch out the loop hoses, move the canister to the side and away you go. Everything else stays the same, even the WOB :) All in all, this is a very versitile platform which we can accomplish so great diving, from recreational, to technical, to cave, to side-mount. All with the same unit, maintaining consistency in philosophy, configuration, skill, knowledge and team.

Enjoy
    Andrew

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: MX-Z mCCR Side-Mount/BackMount update

very interesting
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330's Avatar
    Who cares

A few

Looks like a cool system. I've been managing my bailouts all most identical to the way it was shown in the video for a couple years now. Plug and play for bailouts is the only way to go IMO.

Do you have any pictures of the z gas distribution block? I've thought of using a 6 cuft cylinder for oxygen as well but I was a little concerned about the duration that cylinder would provide. What kind of run times are you with a 6 cuft cylinder?

Scott

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

Interesting. Complex. Top marks for inventiveness. It does raise questions, of course.

1. As all your diluent / bailout / inflation eggs are in one basket, what happens when a Z manifold fails? There appears to be no second stage on the bailout/dil cylinders and all your gas goes down this single path.

2. How do you bailout, inflate U/W, donate gas, run SCR in this situation?

At least for inflation, I seem to recall one should have alternate gas sources for each wing / suit, in case one is lost.

While it is clever, interesting, it seems to also be complex and (so the saying goes) a solution in search of a problem...

cheers

Andy

RBW Member andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis's Avatar
    UTD MX Series

@Scott

We use the 6cft bottle for recreational diving only, as it does not have enough for bailout. We get about 1 hr out of a 6cft filled to 2000psi. If we go technical, we use a AL40 which acts as both a O2 supply for the mCCR and a bailout.

@Andy

1. The Z-Manifold is a Low Pressure block with 8 static o-rings. The chances of failure are considerably less than let's say a Isolator Knob on a manifold (High Pressure and Dynamic at that) So I am not especially concerned, especially that it is tiny and buried, so chances of smacking it are slim. However in the event the block does fail we can drive the RB via the QC6 input on the Diluent Injector and isolate the z-block. If we lose the z-manifold and the Rebreather and need the OC bailout, we carry in a pocket a flat 2nd stage regulator with QC6 female. Example: (http://utdequipment.com/image/produc...dstage_800.jpg)

2. SO if you lost your Rebreather and Manifold, as far as inflation, you are correct, in tech/trim/cave, because of the HE in the dil we generally run a separate bottle for inflation of drysuit. (Argon Bottle). As for wing we can orally inflate it . As for need for OC airshare or donation, this seems to be a little far out there. The situation would have to be, you lost your RB, you lost your Manifold, You buddy, lost there RB and there manifold and now they are completely out of gas and asking you for Gas. Best I would suggest is learn to buddy breath :)

Andrew

+ Reply to Thread