+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helldiver

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Helldiver

Picture of what remains of a Curtis SB2C Helldiver’s four-bladed propeller and radial engine on the sea floor at a depth of 186 feet off of Jupiter, FL. – Discoverd December 20, 2011

The plane wreck was found by dive operator, Randy Jordan – Emerald Charters, December 20th, 2001 during a deep drop in the 180 to 200 foot range to investigate a possible reef or wreck he had gotten numbers on. One drop did turn up rather interesting with what was obviously a plane, resting upside down the sea floor. The single engine aircraft was soon identified as a World War II era Curtiss Helldiver. How the American torpedo bomber got there, let alone when, is currently a mystery that we are still in the process of attempting to answer, hopefully in time for the March release of the Underwater Journal 24th issue.

Photo by Walt Stearns – January 7th, 2012

As a side note. I have performed three dives on this wreck so far, each time after watching other divers on OC strap on all that heavy steel on their backs I am reminded why I love diving my KISS Explorer. Especially because what I am wearing is less than half the weight of theirs – Hooyah!
    Attached Images
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

RBW Member azjohnnyo is an unknown quantity at this point azjohnnyo's Avatar
    Awesome shot! What a great find. I was reading the other post in December when it was first found.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.378808,-111.782137
    JohnnyO
    ------------
    "What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?"

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Re: Helldiver

Thanks. For me to get that shot (and a bunch of others) I made three pilgrimages to the wreck. The first time I hit it back in late December, conditions were not great - strong current, visibility about 30 feet, which at that depth felt like night. After spending 11 minutes on the bottom looking for it, I called the dive and started our accent, only to see it pass 10 feet below my feet as I was already deploying my SMB. Dam! I hate when happens.

Slightly defeated, but not undaunted, I waited till conditions looked better, which they did January 7th. This was the day pictures happened with seas less than 2 feet, very light current and visibility top to bottom around 100 plus. But, not without a price, water temps on the top were around 76 F, which felt good in a 5mil, till we hit the bottom and a apparent upwelling with sparkling clarity and a chilly 62 F. BRRR! This is South Florida, right?

Thinking we still had the opportunity for images, we went out the following morning only to find conditions were far different with visibly half of what it was the day before and the current ripping so hard across the bottom, it was all we could do to stay on it.
    Last edited by Walt Stearns; 20th January 2012 at 20:06.
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

ADM/RBW Staff John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Re: Helldiver

Fantastic photo!!!!

+ Reply to Thread