+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: age required for rebreather diving

RBW Member nicks2424 is an unknown quantity at this point nicks2424's Avatar

age required for rebreather diving

hey guys ive been diving for awile and regular diving has started to become less interesting to me i was wondering how old you have to be to start a rebreather course and if there are any avalible in hawaii.

thanks

nick

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: age required for rebreather diving

I might be wrong in my presumption , but here goes anyway. Getting into a rebreather just because "regular" diving is not that exciting anymore is definitely the wrong reason to do it.

Rebreathers are a tool to get a specific job done. They come with a much greater risk of death, much more expensive, and require much more time for maintainance to use safely.

I don't know the answer to your questions although I am sure somebody will come along and give you some shortly.

Please do not take this as a threat or insult. This is a great place for information and I welcome you to the board.

I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Prince of darkness Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits's Avatar
    Megalodon

RBW Member Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy's Avatar
    GAF mccr,rEvoII

Dolphin,Pelagian

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    I might be wrong in my presumption , but here goes anyway. Getting into a rebreather just because "regular" diving is not that exciting anymore is definitely the wrong reason to do it.

Rebreathers are a tool to get a specific job done. They come with a much greater risk of death, much more expensive, and require much more time for maintainance to use safely.

I don't know the answer to your questions although I am sure somebody will come along and give you some shortly.

Please do not take this as a threat or insult. This is a great place for information and I welcome you to the board.

Yes they were designed to get a specific job done ,enable military divers to attack enemy ships and avoid detection but they have moved a long way from that and into a huge potential market. I am sometimes amused by comments about age we should let people use one or what they should use them for. At sixteen a person can fly a power aircraft with all the checks and procedures involved which are many. I do not believe maintenance and cleaning is greater,I give ALL by diving gear OC or CCR the same level of maintenance appropriate to it's requirements. Costs for rebreather are not high compared with other adventure sports such as motor sport,flying or game fishing. Safe rebreather diving is about good training ,developing good monitoring habits and walking before running.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy  View Original Post
    Yes they were designed to get a specific job done ,enable military divers to attack enemy ships and avoid detection but they have moved a long way from that and into a huge potential market. I am sometimes amused by comments about age we should let people use one or what they should use them for. At sixteen a person can fly a power aircraft with all the checks and procedures involved which are many. I do not believe maintenance and cleaning is greater,I give ALL by diving gear OC or CCR the same level of maintenance appropriate to it's requirements. Costs for rebreather are not high compared with other adventure sports such as motor sport,flying or game fishing. Safe rebreather diving is about good training ,developing good monitoring habits and walking before running.
    I think DSix was questioning the original motivation for going CCR in this case. At least that is how I understood it.

Asia's rEvo Gal :) Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline's Avatar
    rEvo X MFT mCCR

rEvo MFT/rMS, Micro II mCCR,

I could be wrong.. At 16, one could fly power aircraft - I guess they do not have to own it physically and thus, maintain it but for CCR is different. It's a very personal life support system, and divers will want to own it for their diving rather than renting it. My 2 cts - at 16/18, do they have the earning power yet?

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Note sure.

But it should be when ...
    A. You can afford it.
    B. You have your parents permission or no longer need it.

Asia's rEvo Gal :) Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline's Avatar
    rEvo X MFT mCCR

rEvo MFT/rMS, Micro II mCCR,

Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    Note sure.

But it should be when ...
    A. You can afford it.
    B. You have your parents permission or no longer need it.

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

Nick,

You will find mixed reviews on your question. Just sound advice from experienced divers so dont think negative of it. It may save you money and perhaps your life. Divers here all mean well. If the government feels at 16 your responsible enough to learn to drive an automobile, I say your responsible enough to use a rebreather. That being said, It's a great responsibility that isn't for everyone. I know some 16-18 year olds that are responsible and some 30 year olds that are not. So IMHO its about attitude as in life a good one will take you farther, I don't know you or your history so its plain advice. There is one thing to remember here, each rebreather has training specific to it and it only. Meaning if you take a CCR course for a Meg, then you cannot dive any other unit unless you do a cross over ( another course designed for moving from one CCR to another). Courses are not cheap and either are CCR units, new or used they have maintenance and running costs that are far more wallet hungry than OC will be for you at the moment. Search around your area and see if you can locate an instructor to do some try dives. Talk with them, get a better understanding of CCR and how they work, pro's and cons. Just remember the difference between a good diver and bad diver on CCR is ...one comes home. Heavy dose but true. Dive safe ....
    Last edited by RSmith; 18th January 2012 at 09:31.

When In Doubt - Bail Out Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E's Avatar
    Poseidon 7 - 100M Tech

Thumbs up Re: age required for rebreather diving

Quote Originally Posted by RSmith  View Original Post
    Nick,

It's a great responsibility that isn't for everyone. I know some 16-18 year olds that are responsible and some 30 year olds that are not. So IMHO its about attitude as in life a good one will take you farther, I don't know you or your history so its plain advice....
    +1 on that

Also, just to rub it in, there is two types of rebreathers, the Recreational ones and the Technical ones. For obvious reasons, the recreational one (eCCR) is (for better or worse) easier to learn and easier to dive with. you will ofcourse still need to learn all the basics behind rebreather diving, but you are not obliged to learn how to control your pO2. You will of course need to understand what it means while diving.

It's all about what your goal is. If it is deeper technical dives, then it is a Full technical Rebreather with loads of training. If you are fine with NDL diving to 40 meters, then it is an Recreational Rebreather with loads of training you want.

Make no mistake, both of them can get you killed. But with the correct training and a sound approach, it will be all fun to dive.

RAID has rec Rebreather course = 15 years of age.
    PADI you have to be 18
    For the technical courses for a technical RB, pretty sure you need to be 18.
    Last edited by Jeppe_E; 18th January 2012 at 10:10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast