+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tires That Cannot Be Punctured

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Re: Tires That Cannot Be Punctured

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Szopinski  View Original Post
    What I think could work is a hybrid, so that a tire continues to utilise pressurised air, but contains a reinforced structure making is still usable after puncture or rapture.
    Sorry, but someboday already beat you to the finish line - they're called runflats, and they're standard equipment on many cars nowadays. My 3 series BMW came with runflats.

According to the specs, in the event of puncture, the car can continue on its way at a maximum speed of 50 mph (80 km/h) for up to 50 miles (80 km).

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Szopinski  View Original Post
    What I think could work is a hybrid, so that a tire continues to utilise pressurised air, but contains a reinforced structure making is still usable after puncture or rapture.
    Will we even need tires after the rapture?

Seriously Mini Coopers have run flat tires that utilize a stiff side wall, no space for spare in these tiny cars.

Tobin

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post
    Sorry, but someboday already beat you to the finish line - they're called runflats, and they're standard equipment on many cars nowadays. My 3 series BMW came with runflats.
    I have not claimed to be the inventor of the idea - it was just a thought and clearly I don't drive a modern car.

However, my main concert is rapture resulting in partial disintegration of the tire which I have experienced myself on a not so old/use tire. Have I not been driving at a very low speed, it would have been a different story...
    Last edited by Pawel Szopinski; 21st January 2012 at 08:32.
    Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by cool_hardware52  View Original Post
    Will we even need tires after the rapture?
    It would be great to be able to drive afterwards or prevent it all together.
    Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

RBW Member Liquid Pleasure is an unknown quantity at this point Liquid Pleasure's Avatar

I wonder how ice and snow would affect the balance of the tire should it get logged in one of the honeycomb sections of the tire.

BTW: The run flat tires are horrible…rough on the kidneys as the ride is hard as a rock.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3