+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trip report Cruz Del Sur

RBW Member Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun's Avatar
    rEvo

Trip report Cruz Del Sur

A few of us headed out with a new to us dive op that would take us to the Cruz Del Sur. The Cruz sits almost on the county line between Miami and Broward (fort lauderedale) and finding a an op to run there can be challenging. She is a german freighter that sits in 250 feet of water with the deck in the 210 range and a crane that reaches up to within 145 feet of the surface.

On board today were Jeff aka Swadiver, Don aka Dsix, Tony aka Tienuts, Adrain aka Sfldiver, Claudia aka Dreamdive, Peter Sotis, another Jeff on a meg, and two o/c guys Henry Silva and Ron something and myself. I apologize as I am terrible at names

Overall it was a good trip. The seas were flat on the way out but had picked up by the time we re-boarded the boat. It's a large boat adequate space for 10 tech divers and all our bottles. But it's a single engine diesel and a little slow.

Once we arrived at the site the owner and capt left the drop decision completely up to us. They told us they thought there was northbound current and wind pushing us south. After a little discussion re current and the size of the group all dropping together we decided on 600ft of lead in. They set us up and we all piled off the back of the boat like paratroopers. Once in the water the viz was 50-60 feet and the cold engulfed us as we reached the bottom depths. I think every diver did a temperature check on there computers as this nasty bit of cold water slapped us in the face. It was a chilly 60F on the bottom. We hit the sand and began going north towards the wreck and at about 8 minutes the wreck came into sight. Once up on the deck the water warmed up a few degrees. It's a nice wreck with big goal posts creating some nice visual shots.

Once on the wreck we spit into several smaller teams and took off in our own directions. Most of us had a 30 min bottom time planned and so we all left the wreck about the same time. We shot multiple bags and began out 90 of deco. The good news is the temp on deco was in the 70's so much better. Most of us were diving dry so it was tolerable the entire time.

By the time we surfaced the seas had picked up to 2-4 rollers. The boat has a christmas tree ladder with a singe railing in the middle so re-boarding in those seas with Rebreather's and double 80's was less than glamourous for most of us. And the ride back in was painfully slow.

All in all is was a good day. We hit the wreck so that is always a good day! The boat is a little slow and I don't think they are used to dealing with technical divers so they weren't exactly sure how to help us re-board. But not a deal breaker for another trip with them. They do run to some wrecks that are difficult to find ops for.

Tienuts sot some video perhaps he will post
    Last edited by Down4fun; 15th January 2012 at 13:17.

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Re: Trip report Cruz Del Sur

Last edited by Tienuts; 15th January 2012 at 14:34.

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Great video! I'm still in awe over the low profile of the rEvo.

Ossi gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi's Avatar
    eCCR Hybrid Homebuild

pSCR RO80 Homebuild, LightMCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    Great video
    Cheers Ossi

Steve Rich stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm's Avatar
    rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Awesome video! I had my first taste of south Florida diving a few weeks ago, I am very jealous and counting the days til I can get back down!

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Hey Guys and Gal!

Just made it back up North and got to see the video. Great Job Tony!!!

Wanted to say that I had an awesome time. Thank you Jeff for lending me your bail-out reg (oh, what the heck, I just rather admit it now::)) or else I would have missed it.

Looking forward to more.

Claudia

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Sounds like a fun dive! Thanks for sharing!

RBW Member FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Nice write up on the new charter & the dive. Seas didn't look that bad in the video, but that middle railing on the transom looked like it was in line with the ladder. That would've made boarding a real pita!

Also nicely done video, Tony. Good editing with the timing of the music to frame change. Thanks for posting!

Franco

RBW Member Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro's Avatar
    None

Megalodon

Very nice!

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Great job on the trip report and on the video. Looks like you guys had a great time.

Doug

+ Reply to Thread