+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for Sports KISS or Dolphin mCCR

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Looking for Sports KISS or Dolphin mCCR

Someone convinced me Sports KISS is a great thing to dive but ordering a new one when you live in the Netherlands is an expensive adventure.
    Having to pay 20% VAT not only on the price of the rebreather but even on the price of shipping, insurance and import tax (Yes, you read that correctly, I have to pay Tax on Tax) makes it slightly less attractive.

So I'd like to find a used one preferably in Europe.

Alternative you instructors out there let me hire it for the duration of the course so I can decide to order one when I'm more confident that's a good choice????

A valid alternative I guess would be a Dolphin mCCR (preferably with original parts to facilitate changing it back to SCR)...

If your shed is full off rebreathers and you hardly dive the models I mentioned anymore I'd love to start doing that.....:p

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

Re: Looking for Sports KISS or Dolphin mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy
    Someone convinced me Sports KISS is a great thing to dive but ordering a new one when you live in the Netherlands is an expensive adventure.
    Having to pay 20% VAT not only on the price of the rebreather but even on the price of shipping, insurance and import tax (Yes, you read that correctly, I have to pay Tax on Tax) makes it slightly less attractive.

So I'd like to find a used one preferably in Europe.

Alternative you instructors out there let me hire it for the duration of the course so I can decide to order one when I'm more confident that's a good choice????

A valid alternative I guess would be a Dolphin mCCR (preferably with original parts to facilitate changing it back to SCR)...

If your shed is full off rebreathers and you hardly dive the models I mentioned anymore I'd love to start doing that.....:p
    Have a look back through the forums, this has been discussed at great length. When choosing your start point into bubbleless diving the Mccr dolphin is the worst way to go, trust me, I did it that way. There are specific reasons to go Mccr Dolphin and I dont think you have one of them!
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/home-...e-dolphin.html
    Looking int th cost aspect, a new sport KISS, used Classic KISS and a used Inspo are all around the same price at £2500-£2800GBP. There is little advantage in buying new unles you can afford a brand new Eccr. Then your choices expand exponentially.
    Not one rebreather is better than another, they all have their individual advantages and disadvantages depending on their use. Take your time over your decision, read all you can especially the user manuals which are freely available on the net.
    Then, when your all chosen and standing at the front of the bus with your new toy, come see me. We'll pimp it out for you!!!;)

Brent.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Thx Brent for sharing your opion...

FYI I haven't mentioned what I'd like to use it for. Maybe it explains a bit. I haven't considered eCCC nor Classic KISS because I'd like to make relatively shallow dives and I hate being dependant on electronics especially since they have to be taken along into an incredibly hostile environment. (yes I'm a software/system engineer)

I'd like to really experience my dives so ultimately I'd like to go to 30m on (normoxic) trimix. (30m is not a typo!!!) and if possible without bubbles. I've seen more sharks snurkling than diving despite my dive count being considerably higher.

That in addition to its potential for lower weight and warm and moist breathing leads to the choise for some CCR.

Dolphin mCCR and Sports KISS are the remaining units after eliminating the ones I don't want. (all eCCR and Oxygen) and then I've reduces further taking into account that I want to dive a current rebreather that I can understand. (so excluding FGT's, IDA's and alike)

Finally I can narrow it down because I don't aspire to dive the deeper depts (no Classic Kiss)

A Dolphin mCCR (I'd opt for KISS valve) eliminates some of the known Dolphin issues (the biggest one being it's a SCR ;) ), but atm SK is my first choice...

Having said this. are there other models I should consider?

RBW Member rusty has a spectacular aura about rusty has a spectacular aura about rusty has a spectacular aura about rusty has a spectacular aura about rusty has a spectacular aura about rusty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy
    Thx Brent for sharing your opion...

FYI I haven't mentioned what I'd like to use it for. Maybe it explains a bit. I haven't considered eCCC nor Classic KISS because I'd like to make relatively shallow dives and I hate being dependant on electronics especially since they have to be taken along into an incredibly hostile environment. (yes I'm a software/system engineer)

I'd like to really experience my dives so ultimately I'd like to go to 30m on (normoxic) trimix. (30m is not a typo!!!) and if possible without bubbles. I've seen more sharks snurkling than diving despite my dive count being considerably higher.

That in addition to its potential for lower weight and warm and moist breathing leads to the choise for some CCR.

Dolphin mCCR and Sports KISS are the remaining units after eliminating the ones I don't want. (all eCCR and Oxygen) and then I've reduces further taking into account that I want to dive a current rebreather that I can understand. (so excluding FGT's, IDA's and alike)

Finally I can narrow it down because I don't aspire to dive the deeper depts (no Classic Kiss)

A Dolphin mCCR (I'd opt for KISS valve) eliminates some of the known Dolphin issues (the biggest one being it's a SCR ;) ), but atm SK is my first choice...

Having said this. are there other models I should consider?
    Dutchy,

I have been diving KISS for 3 years(a classic and a sport) and just bought an Evolution. I am selling my sport KISS to help pay for the Evo. I have used my sport KISS exclusively for the last two years for dives from 250ft to shallow dives and have been more than pleased with its low maintenance, ease of cleaning and ease of transport. It is easy to run and teaches you to always be aware of your PO2 because your driving the machine and not relying on electronics to fire a solenoid. I think it ingrains it in your head and forces you to look at your displays on a regular basis since theres no backup to keep your PO2 constant. This is my opinion, if you have any general KISS ?'s let me know I think your headed in the right direction and would encourage you to research everything you can find on the different CCR's, I did and made the right choice for me 3 years ago.

I will be posting it on RBW in a couple weeks and its loaded with a bunch of extras including a spare display and bunches of spare parts(hoses,lungs,orings, ADV,tank brackets,Etc....) I have two sets of tanks 13cf and 14cf low pressure and will be listing it for $4500 for everything. Let me know if your interested. Email rsanoian@lightandmotion.com for specifics and if you have KISS ?'s in general.:)
    Last edited by rusty; 13th April 2006 at 07:11.

RBW Member jknights is on a distinguished road jknights is on a distinguished road jknights's Avatar

I have a Submatix unit that is converted to mCCR. I could be tempted to part with the unit as I have an Inspiration Classic as well.
    The Submatix is a very compact unit and in water it feels as though you are diving without any additional kit.

The unit is in A1 condition and I have some spares as well as all the original hoses, jets and first stage so you can go back to SCR if you were mad enough.

Contact me by email or PM if you are interested.

Thumbs up Re: Looking for Sports KISS or Dolphin mCCR

Thanks all for your replies and in fact it is through this board that I can call myself the owner of the "007" SK. Belgium got one less now, The Netherlands plus one . I picked it up today and I found while driving back I had a smile on my face from one ear to the other....
    Can't wait to get it wet....
    Last edited by Dutchy; 23rd April 2006 at 20:29.

+ Reply to Thread